a knife storage solution - no kiddies allowed

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I moved into a condo this summer and now that I'm down here in FL and trying to unpack all the kitchen stuff I find I'm in big trouble with storage. I have less than one half the counter space I had in the house I sold and little wall space as well. Quite frankly, I had no place to keep my working knives. I went to Target and picked up a cheapo magnetic knife bar and mounted it on the inside of a cabinet door closest to my cutting area.

Granted, this would be a terrible idea if little kids would be around. Also, I won't be moving my hands too fast going in and especially out of this space.... :shock:

Attachments

• Knife Solution.JPG
    Knife Solution.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 113

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
are you right- or left- handed?

first thing struketh me is for a right hander that's a unhandy orientation....

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>I'm a lefty

that arrangement will work indeed -
see, I know you better than you thought I thought I did... [g]

chowhound

You do what ya gotta do when you don't have the space. That's why I like my under the cupboard mag strip, but it's not perfect and needs relocated so I don't bump knife handles when I bring in groceries.
As long as you don't stack soup cans out too far or slam the door, you should be good. Or should I say as long as no one does those things...

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Yes, like myself and a few other "gifted" members of the board, Buzz is a leftie. There even use to be a group of us that Lefty started. I mention it for the newbies.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Very cool Buzz. With the kids I couldn't do that with knives as you said, but I do have a couple of nice metal utensil sets I could do that with. And with my small kitchen ideas like this are very handy and welcome!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Very cool Buzz. With the kids I couldn't do that with knives as you said, but I do have a couple of nice metal utensil sets I could do that with. And with my small kitchen ideas like this are very handy and welcome!

Interesting you should note that, Mav. I'm considering adding more magnetics to a couple of other doors and also spice racks to oddball places.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Interesting you should note that, Mav. I'm considering adding more magnetics to a couple of other doors and also spice racks to oddball places.

My spice racks are lazy susans on top of the microwave cart, LOL. Two of em side by side. When we bought he house the kitchen was in bad shape. It had real cheap cabinets from the 70's that were falling apart.
We have no money to buy new cabinets as most things in this house have to be custom because of the size and design, so I have had to jury rig things in to make it all work.
I have pictures of the kitchen around here somewhere, but it is pretty embarrassing to see.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My spice racks are lazy susans on top of the microwave cart, LOL. Two of em side by side. When we bought he house the kitchen was in bad shape. It had real cheap cabinets from the 70's that were falling apart.
We have no money to buy new cabinets as most things in this house have to be custom because of the size and design, so I have had to jury rig things in to make it all work.
I have pictures of the kitchen around here somewhere, but it is pretty embarrassing to see.

Sounds a lot like my situation. Earnestly, I think a lot of what I have household wise is going to wind up on ebay or craig's list as I have no place (or use) for them..

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have them all over my kitchen here in San Antonio, Buzz - I think there are 7 of them total. I got the ones from IKEA (about $5) and they are really strong magnets. I have never had anything fall or even move on one of these racks. I ended up mounting them vertically on the cabinets on either side of the sink at the coast. They hold knives, can openers, anything metal.

I actually had a couple more I was going to mount over one of the doorways into the kitchen but my family vetoed that.:shock:

Here is a pic of the ones mounted vertically on either side of the sink. (Sorry the pic is so dark.)

Attachments

• potrack.jpg
    potrack.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hmm... family didn't like the idea of hanging knives over the doorway... I don't understand why, sounds like fun to me!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have knives every where in my place as my parent did. Never had a problem even with the real young ones messing with them.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It's not the kids I worry about, they are carefull and know better, it's me cause I am clumsy! LOL.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now that I can relate too perhaps I can introduce you up with my resident klutz, her name is Dawn.