High Cheese

Saucier
The side fire box on my Char Griller is about to fall off. I've been wanting a vertical smoker for a while, so I picked up a cheapo Brinkmann. I'm going to remove the SFB on the CharGriller, block off the opening, and use it as a charchoal grill.

I read the Brinkmann has some issues, mainly being the bowl for the charchoal. There's no ventilation so people recommend various methods, drilling the bowl or using a grill wok, etc.

I picked up a grill wok and fastened it to the exsisting frame for the bowl with wire (see pic). Works good and I was able to reach 325-350. Keep in mind this was my first time using it so it's a learning curve.

Only negative at the moment is that a rack does not fit, so I had to cut them in half. No biggie, just never did that before. There's a secondary bowl above the charchoal for water, wood chips. I was rotating out wood chips and apple juice/waterfor moisture. I need some welding gloves though. But it's a nice feature that the Chargriller lacks.

Ribs came out great, they even look different which was a surprise. Alot of smoke, nice, compact setup. :thumb::thumb:

I did baby backs, beef ribs, brats, baked beans up top (not hot enough to cook but good enough to keep warm) and jalapenos stuffed with ground sausage and cheese.

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

Modded tray

IMG_4881.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a LOT more elaborate than the ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann) than my brother bought 20 years ago!

Looks good to me, HC - nice job!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'll be right over for some of those ribs!! Might as well have some of the sausage too, while I'm there!!