Cast Iron identity needed...Unique skillet/fryer

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
this was posted on another forum i am on..i am interested in purchasing this but neither myself nor the buyer can find information on it..

it's 16" across about 3"s deep and he said it weighs as much as his truck..lol

ciskillet0023463034.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mind you - I don't really know. I'm only guessing here. But it looks to me like it needs a top piece - like a lid with matching handles - for flipping. Maybe like some type of old fashioned omelette pan.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Try the Wagner and Griswold Society. Somewhere there may be able to help you.
Any marks on the pan?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is what I was going to suggest as it is probably a chicken fryer made by Wagner or Griswold.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I've been Googling like crazy trying to find any info on this thing.
It's driving me nuts lol

Leni

I referred this question to a friend who does competition BBQing. He refered it to a friend who is a cast iron enthusiast. Here is his reply.

Not sure of the manufacture of this fine pot, but it looks like something that was used in Camp Cooking. By camp cooking, was for the old lumber and mining camps up north, 1880 to right before WW 2. It made pouring the grease alot easier than the single handle skillet. I have two 15 inch skillets and they are a bit hard to manage (kicks my butt), but with two handles one can manage it. The two handle pot I traded to you, is an old restaurant style cooking pot and this looks to be a precursor to that model. Cast iron is cast, so being a homemade adaption eliminates that theory. However, it could have been braised welded on and will have the markings to indicate this.

this was posted on another forum i am on..i am interested in purchasing this but neither myself nor the buyer can find information on it..

it's 16" across about 3"s deep and he said it weighs as much as his truck..lol

ciskillet0023463034.jpg

I looked on ebay, & several came up (some dating back to 1806, from memory), but none have the double handles. That's not to say that it wont come up in the future. You might check ebay out, or go to an appraiser.

Recently, I watched Storage Wars, & couldn't believe the "Treasures" folks found in abandoned storage lockers.

http://www.aetv.com/storage-wars/?paidlink=1&keywords=storage%2Bwars

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well as someone that goes through Storage Wars monthly regularly since I own a storage facility. These finds are few and far between. Oh and ours our second Tuesday every month at 10:00 AM, that is if we have any to be sold.