A Better Beater Blade for KitchenAid Mixers

FryBoy

I made a Lemon Pound Cake this afternoon -- more on that later. However, I though it would be a good opportunity to tell others about the improved beater I purchased for my KitchenAid Pro 600 Stand Mixer (the mixer cost me all of $49, including tax, new in the box, from Macy's -- but that's yet another story).

One thing many KitchenAid mixer owners complain about is that it's difficult to scrape the bowl while the mixer is running. Because the beater rotates around the inside of the bowl, and because the beater doesn't actually touch the bowl, you have to stop the mixer frequently to scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.

Two companies have come up with fixes for that problem -- the BeaterBlade+ and the SideSwipe. They are available for most KA mixers. Cook's Magazine tested both in January 2009 and liked the SideSwipe a tad more than the BeaterBlade because they thought it performed a little better on a particularly heavy cookie dough, but one reviewer on another forum commented that dough tends to bunch up on the SideSwipe's inner parts.

In any case, I have the BeaterBlade+, mainly because it was available from Amazon for $30, no tax, free shipping, and I didn't feel like driving around to find the other.

Both are made of very strong plastic and have silicone scrapers on the edges of the blades. The scrapers do touch the bowl and thus provide a constant scraping of the ingredients, assuring that everything gets mixed in. I've found that I rarely have to stop the mixer, except to make sure that the ingredients that cling to the beater itself are mixed in.

Here's that they look like:

This is the BeaterBlade+:
314GDLlFJqL._SS400_.jpg

This is the SideSwipe:

document%5Cproduct%5CSIL_SideSwipeBlade_detail.jpg

Here's a photo of the BeaterBlade in action, creaming butter and sugar for my pound cake, and another of it mixing the completed cake batter -- note how clean the bowl is immediately behind the beater's edges (the bottom is scraped well, too):

481844860_oskt4-L.jpg

481844871_XawKi-L.jpg

There are also several videos available of the BeaterBlade and the SideSwipe in action on YouTube.

The BeaterBlade does a great job, and I'm sure the SideSwipe does, too. I highly recommend them for frequent bakers.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Found it Doug and order it through Cultery & More added to the 11" All-Clad SS French Chef's pan order I placed an hour ago, I got lucky in that no shipping as they well send both together. Thanks.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I made a Lemon Pound Cake this afternoon -- more on that later. However, I though it would be a good opportunity to tell others about the improved beater I purchased for my KitchenAid Pro 600 Stand Mixer (the mixer cost me all of $49, including tax, new in the box, from Macy's -- but that's yet another story).

One thing many KitchenAid mixer owners complain about is that it's difficult to scrape the bowl while the mixer is running. Because the beater rotates around the inside of the bowl, and because the beater doesn't actually touch the bowl, you have to stop the mixer frequently to scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.

Two companies have come up with fixes for that problem -- the BeaterBlade+ and the SideSwipe. They are available for most KA mixers. Cook's Magazine tested both in January 2009 and liked the SideSwipe a tad more than the BeaterBlade because they thought it performed a little better on a particularly heavy cookie dough, but one reviewer on another forum commented that dough tends to bunch up on the SideSwipe's inner parts.

In any case, I have the BeaterBlade+, mainly because it was available from Amazon for $30, no tax, free shipping, and I didn't feel like driving around to find the other.

Both are made of very strong plastic and have silicone scrapers on the edges of the blades. The scrapers do touch the bowl and thus provide a constant scraping of the ingredients, assuring that everything gets mixed in. I've found that I rarely have to stop the mixer, except to make sure that the ingredients that cling to the beater itself are mixed in.

Here's that they look like:

This is the BeaterBlade+:
314GDLlFJqL._SS400_.jpg

This is the SideSwipe:

document%5Cproduct%5CSIL_SideSwipeBlade_detail.jpg

Here's a photo of the BeaterBlade in action, creaming butter and sugar for my pound cake, and another of it mixing the completed cake batter -- note how clean the bowl is immediately behind the beater's edges (the bottom is scraped well, too):

481844860_oskt4-L.jpg

481844871_XawKi-L.jpg

There are also several videos available of the BeaterBlade and the SideSwipe in action on YouTube.

The BeaterBlade does a great job, and I'm sure the SideSwipe does, too. I highly recommend them for frequent bakers.

FryBoy, you are very much on key with THAT theory!

I got one each for the both of my K'Aid Stand Mixers, and let me tell you, mixing with them has never been easier!! No more stopping the machines to scrape the bowl.

A neat little tip;

You can also used the Beate Blade to scrape the batter or dough out of the bowl as well when you're done mixing it!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I love mine, too!

But just a caveat here. According to KA, using one of these things voids the warranty. They say it puts too much drag on the motor. So if you ever need to contact KA for warranty or service, don't mention that you have one of these!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I love mine, too!

But just a caveat here. According to KA, using one of these things voids the warranty. They say it puts too much drag on the motor. So if you ever need to contact KA for warranty or service, don't mention that you have one of these!

First time that I ever heard of that.

But if that IS the case, then why is K'Aid letting this accesory be made by other co's though? Seems to me, that if they're making that statement, then are aren't they going after the co's making the thing? I'm in no way doubting you at all.

I found out that as long as there is SOMETHING soft in the work bowl, even flour, that the beater blade works fine.

Both of my machines are now out of warranty, BTW. I've never had any problems using it.

But you might be right when you said don't tell them that the thing is being used if warranty service is needed. :brows:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I love mine, too!

That's very interesting. However, that won't stop me from using the BeaterBlade. I have one for each of my 600's and they work beautifully.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Good suggestion, Buzz!

Neither will I stop using mine. I LOVE the way they work!

It think that they are the best thing to come along since the stand mixer itself! I will NOT go back to stopping the machine and scraping down the work bowl. Never!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been using mine for about a year now with no problems besides it works great.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love mine, too!

This is good information, SS. I'll keep using mine, too, but I will watch for any hint of motor straining.