Jewish Baker's Pastry Secrets: The Art of Baking Your Own Babka, Danish, Sticky Buns,

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
George Greenstein, the Jewish bakery owner from Long Island whose bread book, "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" which won a James Beard award had another book that got lost in the shuffle when his publisher was bought out by another. For years, I was told by a mutual friend that he didn't really want to rewrite the book for a new publisher but evidently he changed his mind and I am so excited!!!
"Jewish Baker's Pastry Secrets: The Art of Baking Your Own Babka, Danish, Sticky Buns, Strudels and More (Hardcover)" will be available April 2009. This is a book that I have waited years and years for and it is a dream come true for me.
Woot!!!!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This book was suppose to be published and out today. Well, Borders didn't have it on the shelves and amazon.com pushed my order back to June 10th! This is the book that I have been dreaming about for years. Dalia Carmel knew him and use to pass news on to me but I have lost contact with her over the years. She had an amazing cookbook collection that she donated to NYU. It was a collection that scholars would come to her house to see and cookbook authors would use as a resource. Dalia is also famous for helping get a special cookbook published--for those interested they can google.
See. http://www.nyu.edu/public.affairs/releases/detail/1341

http://somethinktochewon.blogspot.com/2006/12/whats-with-all-of-those-books-on-food.html

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Ten Speed Press was purchased by Random House on May 1st and it is unknown if they are going to get the rights to this cookbook or if the rights will revert back to Mr. Greenstein. I am hoping that this book will not fall through the cracks like it did when Macmillan was sold years ago. I am very disheartened as I have been waiting for this book since sometime after 1993 when his first bread book was published. I had hoped and dreamt that my wish would be fulfilled and it looks like there is a new stumbling block. Mr. Greenstein is not getting any younger. I have written to an old email address of a mutual friend to try to find out more. Sigh.