Gooey Butter Cake

Granny

When I was a kid my Dad would bring home gooey butter cakes from the bakery... heavenly. This tastes a whole lot like that.

This recipe has been in existence for many years, so there are several versions on the web, but these are the original ingredients in the original amounts.

Gooey Butter Cake

1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted
2 eggs

Beat medium speed until smooth. Spread into a 9 X 13" greased pan.

Topping:
1 lb. confectioner's sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 eggs

Beat until smooth, spread over the cake.

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Saliha

Does yellow cake mix makes something like the basic sponge cake? We don´t use cake mixes here in my country so it´s not very familiar to me.

:huh:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Does yellow cake mix makes something like the basic sponge cake?
:huh:

Saliha, I don't know about sponge cake, but here is a photo of a typical yellow cake mix package, in case it helps.

Lee

Attachments

• 452070699_YellowCake_xlarge.jpg
    452070699_YellowCake_xlarge.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 120

Granny

Sponge cake is more spongy and usually has more eggs and no shortening. Yellow cake is more moist and flavorful than sponge cake, but with all the sugar that goes into this recipe, either one would most likely taste just fine.

Saliha

Ok, now it sounds more like what I call as sand cake than sponge cake. Sorry, English isn´t my own language and need to think how to translate names of the cake types...

Thanks anyways Granny about your recipe, I need to try it soon. We have the father´s day here at the next month and this might be suitable cake for my dad.

:readytoeat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Saliha, if you post a recipe for "sand cake", maybe Granny (or someone else who knows more about baking cakes than I do) can tell you if it's equivalent to a yellow cake mix.

And, Saliha, you do a TERRIFIC job writing in English!

Lee

Saliha

^^ That´s a good idea. Sand cake is basicly as mixing and beating butter and sugar, adding and beating up the eggs, then adding flour and baking powder.

I think this might be by English as pound cake...

Too many cake types in my mind now. Better go to the bed.
smiley-shocked031.gif