Cornbread

LADawg

Mae Dean, my wife, and I were talking today and some way the subject of cornbread came up. We both agreed that cornbread should be made WITHOUT sugar or any other kind of sweetener. Me being an ole Mississippi boy think that it should also be made with WHITE corn meal. I always thought that yellow corn was grown to feed animals like cows, mules, horses, chickens and even goats. On the other hand, white corn was grown to be ground into corn meal or to make hominy or grits.
I would like to hear what everyone has to say about adding sugar to cornbread and what color of corn meal you think should be used.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
No sugar here in cornbread either. If I want it for dessert, I'll put a big pat of butter on a hot piece of cornbread with some honey. I prefer the white meal but yellow will do as long as there's no sugar.

cornbread-with-butter-and-honey.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I dunno, maybe see are livestock here in NJ. I do not recall seeing white cornmeal in the grocery store. That, of course, does not mean it isn't there.

I don't put sugar in mine either. In fact, 5# of sugar lasts a year here.

Leni

People didn't eat yellow corn until someone came up with tender yellow sweet corn. Until then it was for animals only.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not a cornbread fan, but if I try a bite of what's put in front of me it has to be VERY moist and just a little sweet.

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
me, neither, lee. if i take a piece, the bread has to have a hint of sweetness, (& butter, too). honey is sweeeet :)mrgreen:- literally) on the bread.
the texture of the bread is too grainy fer me, usually.

Last edited:

LADawg

I don't put sugar in mine either. In fact, 5# of sugar lasts a year here.

Maybe this should be under the portion control subject that is or was on here a few days ago, but do they still sell sugar in 5 pound bags? I buy sugar in a plastic container and I think it contains 3 pounds. Can’t remember the last time I bought some.
A couple of years ago I was making a batch of oatmeal/peanut butter cookies about once a week and I was using half cup of both white and brown sugar then, but now I very seldom use any sugar. Got to make a batch of those cookies before long. They are really, really good.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ladawg you are probably right. I have one of those plastic containers. I didn't look at the weight
Anyway, it lasts a year

chilefarmer

Cornbread or biscuits, growing up we always had one or the other at each meal. I do like a little sugar in my cornbread recipe. Not like cake but a little sugar.
Yellow corn is what we grew and every thing ate it, live stock and poultry, us included. We ground our own meal, made hominy. Fresh roasted yellow corn was mighty fine eats (roasting ears). Dang I miss those days. CF:biggrin:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
CF, ur username reminded me- i've gotten cornbread w/ chiles. jalapeno peppers, too.

Leni

Just bought a bag of sugar, four pounds not five. I like my cornbread moist and a little sweet.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just bought a bag of sugar, four pounds not five. I like my cornbread moist and a little sweet.

I like my cornbread a little aweet as well!

But to make it taste even MORE like cake, I add a little bit each of vanilla and lemon extracts. LErned that from a friend years ago in the early '80s.

I use a recipe that I've been using since the early '70s! That same recipe has made many a great pan of golden cornbread each & every time!

However, when I use that same recipe to make cornbread for stuffing, I reduce the sugar to about 1 tablespoon, because I don't like sweet stuffing. :yuk:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I sometimes like to do that as well!

Not ALL the time, because I only do it in moderation though. :neutral:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
pork rinds rock- i bought a pack of fresh pork rind to make my own, then lost that to the depths of my freezer. i'll hafta make that. i was thinkin' masa harina may make a cornbread w/ a texture i'd appreciate. may as well play in the kitch'.