Beer & Cheese Bread

Mr. Green Jeans

3 cups self-raising flour

1 tbs bakers sugar

1 3/4 cups chilled lager

1/2 cup sunflower seeds (shelled)

1 cup cheese - grated (choose your favorite)

Preheat the oven to 400.

Grease and line a loaf pan.

Combine the flour, sugar and 1 tsp salt in a bowl.

Add the beer, stirring to combine.

Spoon mixture into pan and sprinkle with seeds and cheese.

Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when base is tapped.

Serve warm

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, I can (probably) make this one successfully!

Copied and saved!

Thanks, Mr. GJ!

Lee

P.S. Do you take it out of the pan, tap the base, then put it back in if it's not done? Or what?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since we haven't seen Mr. GreenJeans in awhile ....Joe, Mama, any other bakers who post or lurk ....

Two questions:

1) what is baker's sugar?

2) does self-rising flour ever go bad? I've had mine for years (like, three?)

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
1) I think it's just superfine sugar. You can make your own by running granulated sugar a few pulses in a food processor or you can probably just sub regular granulated sugar.

2) Because of the baking powder in it, I would say that maybe after a year it probably won't activate anymore. I'm sure it would last longer if you sealed it in an airtight container and kept it in the freezer. Since I make so many biscuits so I've never had any long enough to go bad :lol:

thegrindre

Yes, flour will go flat, too, and won't produce a good product anymore.
Over three years old? I'd toss it if it was mine.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I finally found another bag of self-rising flour (and am tossing out an un-opened bag of it, per your recommendations!).

What do you think Mr. Green Jeans means by "line" a loaf pan?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Okay, I finally found another bag of self-rising flour (and am tossing out an un-opened bag of it, per your recommendations!).

What do you think Mr. Green Jeans means by "line" a loaf pan?

Lee
As Mama said, the sugar is superfine sugar and is made as described. Personally, I would use regular sugar and not waste my time, but the choice is yours.

Self rising flour is expensive and will go flat as described. To make your own, do the following:
For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

It's that simple.

Lining a loaf pan is for very high hydration doughs (wet dough), and consists of spraying the pan with some cooking spray, then line the pan with parchment paper that is sprayed again before pouring in the batter. The first spray will hold the parchment paper to the sides of the vessel.

This recipe is very wet with 14oz of liquid to about 16oz of flour, and the parchment paper will allow for release from the pan.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this recipe yesterday and it was pretty good! More like the quick-breads you get in packages than the beautiful yeast breads that talented bread-bakers like JoeV and Mama make.

You don't need the grated cheese or the sunflower seeds, but they were kinda nice. Without them, it's a 3-ingredient recipe!

I did the parchment paper thing, too, and next time, I will omit that step, since I think the bread would be fine coming out of an oiled loaf pan.

You can definitely taste the hops/yeasty flavor of the beer, and I liked that.

I served it with a lamb stew and it hit the spot!

Good one, Mr. Green Jeans, wherever you are!

Lee

P.S. I haven't had sunflower seeds since I was a kid! I'm delighted to be re-introduced to them as a delicious salty snack!

Parchmented loaf pan

Parchmented loaf pan.JPG

Bread dough

Beer cheese bread dough.JPG

Sunflower seeds (yum!)

Sunflower seeds.JPG

Baked Beer Cheese Bread

Beer cheese bread, baked.JPG

Sliced

Beer cheese bread sliced.JPG

Close-up of crumb

Beer cheese bread close up.JPG