Macintosh Apple Cake

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had some macs getting old, so looked up a recipe to use them. The reviews on this cake were wonderful.

The things that I did differently from the original were:

• I added the eggs to the wet ingredients in my mixer, then added the dry ingredients a little at a time to the wets (didn't make sense the other way around, the way the original recipe was posted).
  • I added 1T. cinnamon to the batter, and 1T. to the apples
  • I substituted pecans for walnuts, and added them to the apples layers
Brought the cake to a friend who I was visiting in New Hampshire's White Mountains last weekend and he declared it a winner! I tried a slice, too - wonderful!

Here's the link to the original: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/09/moms-apple-cake/

Here's what I did:

Lee's Macintosh Apple Cake

The apples:
6 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1 tablespoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons sugar

about a cup of chopped pecans

Dry ingredients:
2 3/4 cups flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 T cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Wet ingredients:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heavily grease a tube pan.
Toss apples in a bowl with cinnamon, sugar and nuts, and set aside.

Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.

In a separate bowl (I used my KitchenAid mixer) whisk together oil, orange juice, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each.

Add dry ingredients to wet, a little at a time. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.

Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spread half of apples over it. Sprinkle half of the nuts. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and arrange the remaining apples and nuts on top.

Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely before running knife between cake and pan, and unmolding onto a platter.

Reviewers said that the cake gets moister a day or two after it's made.

Attachments

• Apple cake whole.JPG
    Apple cake whole.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Apple cake, sliced.JPG
    Apple cake, sliced.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Apple cake, one slice.JPG
    Apple cake, one slice.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Ian M.

This cake both looks and sounds wonderful. This recipe is definitely going with me when I move!! Everyone's going to love it, I know. Just looking at those photos makes my mouth water! Thanks for sharing it, Lee.

Ian

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my pal makes an apple cake during holidays that she/her family adore. i hafta see how she makes hers- she swears by that cake. now your pix have prompted me to google, & now i gotta dial her & beg that she keeps a slice fer me during wintertime.
TY, lee~

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

Saliha and Johnny, another apple idea for the season. I'm definitely going to make this again soon!

Lee

Johnny West

My brother and brother in law will be visiting soon, will make this for them and know they will love it.

Living in the NW we have tons of apples, the golden delicious are my favorite for pie.

Ian M.

Lee - This cake sure is a winner - I had it when you first posted it and have made it twice since then. I used Macs for it then but may not be able to get them around here - haven't checked yet. Fallon wants to make some of her delicious cinnamon, fireball applesauce and Macs are the best for that. Have to find something here that's comparable if I can't find Macs!
So glad this came up again now - will have to bake some for the Pub as
well. Do you mind if we dub it "Lee's Apple Cake" on the menu?

Ian

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you mind if we dub it "Lee's Apple Cake" on the menu?

Ian, I'd be honored! :blush:

Hey, if Saliha can get Paula Reds in Finland, maybe they are also available in Ireland.

Lee

Saliha

Paula Reds come here from Poland. Possible they will import them to other European countries too.

Johnny West

Lee - This cake sure is a winner - I had it when you first posted it and have made it twice since then. I used Macs for it then but may not be able to get them around here - haven't checked yet. Fallon wants to make some of her delicious cinnamon, fireball applesauce and Macs are the best for that. Have to find something here that's comparable if I can't find Macs!
So glad this came up again now - will have to bake some for the Pub as
well. Do you mind if we dub it "Lee's Apple Cake" on the menu?

Ian

I think you said you were in UK? There are some very good old time apples and sure they would be perfect.

I love the the hot applesauce and wonder about adding fireball bourbon to it.

Ian M.

Hey, Johnny - Hate to misconstrue the idea of hot applesauce with interesting things in it - not Fireball Bourbon, however. DW would be appalled if I were even to suggest such a thing, although it doesn't sound too bad to me. No, what she uses in her sauce are tiny little cinnamon red hot candies - a couple of packages of them in a good-sized cooker of apples is really delicious! Put them in the sauce at the start of cooking and they melt into the apples as the heat gets more intense. And it has the most beautiful pink colour, too.

I had my dad check around for some good-looking cooking apples and this is what he found - Braeburns, Galas, Irish Peach (old-fashioned and sometimes difficult to find at the Farmer's Markets around) and plenty of imports such as Jazz and Pink Lady - which the market recommends. Also Egremont Russet and Worcester Pearmain. So, as you said, there's lots to choose from. Fallon is bound to find some good ones and those cakes for the pub will get made post haste! And our Lee will be famous.............
deservedly!

Ian

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Time for another Macintosh Apple Cake!

SOOOOOO moist and good!

Lee
Macintosh apple cake 2015.JPG
Sliced apple cake 2015.JPG

Last edited: