Microsoft Security Essentials Ranks as Best-Performing Free Antivirus

Lefty

Yank
Anti-malware testing group AV-Comparatives.org not only gave Microsoft Security Essentials a top rating for malware removal, but now they've given it their best ranking in their performance test as well. AV-Comparatives.org ran a series of real-world tests running through common scenarios like downloading, extracting, copying, and encoding files, installing and launching applications, and they also ran through an automated testing suite as well. Once the dust had settled, it became clear that not only is MSE one of only three products that both blocks and removes malware well, but it's also very light on system resources.

For full article see source.

Source; http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I use it, have had no problems, but was totally unaware it was that good. Thanks for the information, Lefty.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also have it installed but had no idea if it was good or not. It hasn't interfered at all with AVG nor Malwarebytes so I guess that might explain why I've not seen anything on my machines in some time.

FryBoy

I suggest reading a few other reviews:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351871,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3667_7-0.html?tag=bc

http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

http://review.zdnet.com/filter/antivirus-and-filtering?categoryId=3681&tag=trunk;content

And check this somewhat dated (June 2009) summary of the Consumer Reports review (some of the most current versions, such as Norton 2010 and ZoneAlarm 2010, aren't included):

security-software-large.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Doug I don't see AVG listed nor Microsoft Security Essentials at all, so the point is? Besides these are freeware stuff, I want to see what some of us spent money on how it rates.

FryBoy

Look harder. In the CNET review, it's on the 2nd page (although older version). In the Top Ten review, it's #7. Here's the review of AVG 9 from the PC Mag article:

AVG Internet Security 9.0
pcm_3_5_dot.gif

$69.99 direct The latest suite from AVG is a distinct improvement over its predecessor. It integrates multiple new anti-malware technologies and its firewall problems are fixed. It's now a good choice, though not a challenger for Norton Internet Security 2010 and other top products.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for coming back with this Doug though I will never run Norton again regardless of how good they are but won't go there now.

FryBoy

I used Norton for years, then dumped it and went to ZoneAlarm when Norton became bloated and consumed 198% of my CPU. But recently ZA turned to caca, especially as it virtually locked up my computer during its uncontrollable hourly updates. I considered going with Kaspersky, but it was the core of the ZA virus protection, albeit with the ability to control the frequency and timing of the updates. Tried it, didn't like it. Tried CA, hated it. Then I read several reviews of Norton, all of which agreed that Symantec had listened to the criticism and had rebuilt the thing from the ground up, creating a highly effective and efficient system. I tried it on several computers, including an 8-year-old laptop running XP, and it proved to be almost totally transparent and unobtrusive.

I now run it on two Windows 7 64-Bit systems, one a dual core and one a quad, and on an older single core XP system, and on the old laptop too. Believe me, I have over 25 years' experience with computers, I'm extremely critical and demanding, and Norton Internet Security 2010 is simply the best I've encountered. It's often available free, after rebates, from www.frys.com. Currently Fry's has it for $9.99 after rebates:

http://www.frys.com/product/6037598?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have been thru similar experience. Loved Norton then it became to cumbersome for me, switched to ZoneAlarm, then later CA. With Comcast I get MacAfee free and used it for years with no problems but then I also run separate software for pop up, malware, download scanners, etc.
Then one day it started having problems, and started slowing down my computers as it had become too cumbersome. Then they revamped the entire security suite and it was good again. Then I started having more problems. Now it is back to working well but I think on a couple of occasions it missed some trojans on my sons laptop. I checked out Avast and so far so good, his computer has not slowed down and it has caught several trojans already.
I am thinking at this point in time of installing it on my other computers as well. I don't want to pay for some program when I get MacAfee for free, but I am worried MacAfee is not catching everything it is supposed to.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I've been at it since I got the first Apple I kit as you can tell by that. My problem with Norton's is their business practices and the company that eventually took them over. I actually bought a long term upgrade plan from them only to have it go away, after the first couple of months due to them becoming part of Symantec as well as the backup system program I also had bought from a previous company that they took over. I also had problem with them with my CD/R writing software which they also bought hence I use Nero now. They flat refused to stand behind the upgrades I had paid for I got zero response to both email and phone calls to customer service after my first contact with them. No thanks if you screw me, it only happens one time you never get a second shot at me.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I'm the same way, Joe. You get one chance, if you fail you loose me as a customer. If more people were like us, we would have so much better customer service today!
Take our car insurance. The other day the wife went to pay it over the phone. Well, our company had gotten bought out and now suddenly the new company wanted $3 to pay over the phone. We pointed out this was not in our agreement and they needed to honor it.
They refused, so I refused to pay and we just went with another company. I made sure they noted on my account why I had left them mid policy...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Being in business myself that deals with the public daily I have a pretty good idea about what customer service should be. It is why, though our prices are a bit higher we stay filled with no need to advertise unlike our competition.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That's kinda like going to a small town where Wal-mart is the only game in town, then pointing it out to the residents... duh.
I'm certainly not going to spend 4x as much for a lesser computer just so I can use a Microsoft owned Mac. And I am certainly not going to run Linux and wish I had the same functionality and access to programs that I have now...
Which leaves....??
Anywhere there is true competition you should be picky and demanding, it is your right as a consumer. Which is why many companies out there are trying to 'corner' the market and be the only game in town. This way they don't have to truly compete.
My wife is a professional gardener, it is her own business. She does not advertise at all, yet her business grows each year while the 'big guys' shrink. Why? She provides excellent customer service and a personal touch.
But what do you suppose things were like before she went into business, when all there was were big guys? You think people just went without, of course not, they settled for what they could get. But what happened when she and several others came along? People bailed because they had no loyalty because the big guys had poor customer service.
And that is the point we are trying to make. Microsoft may have our business now, but the second a real competitor comes along they will feel the effects their poor business practices and customer service have gained them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yet you use Microsoft....

Sure I do it is fairly inexpensive as good as anything out there with more software available for it than any other OS. My problem with apple is how they locked their computer and software for the most part to themselves so need something you buy from Apple at their prices. This is also why they rarely get much above 3% of the total computer industry. Their small share of the market is also why no one bothers to write viruses and such. In all honesty no harder to take out Apples OS than any other OS.

Wart

Banned
Well, yeah MS Essentials rates high. I start MS Essentials and one CPU goes to 100%, sucks up resources and clogs the system. Maybe even malware has problems running in that environment.

I didn't buy two cores to effectively have only one that I can use.

I suppose it would be better to buy a Quad so I would have 3 cores free?

Far as Norton ~ McAfee ~ Pick one goes, irritating as hell to have ran purchased and licensed anti-virus only to discover Viri made it into my email archives. Numerous times.

And I discovered this when switching to another anti-viri and do a scan, but then find that, though the new program detects the viri it can't "clean' or remove the infection. Only option is to delete the archive. Worth it to burn the archive to disk and delete the archive just to stop getting the "warnings".

And McAfee, that damned program would 'detect' the small utilities from GRC.Com, say they were poison, I would tell McAfee to delete the utility, it couldn't.

Could say the utility(ies) were running, but I had the same issue with Eicar. It would see it on the hard drive but couldn't take Eicar out.

So I'm skeptical of the effectiveness of any of these programs.