Hey gang, Going fishing much?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Correct?

I've seen a cheap duel combo rod that claimed you can do this on Ebay, and I would like to know if this true?

I'm not positive about this and others here can give you a definitive answer. I believe the reel seats on a fly rod are the same except smaller than on most spinning rods. Therefore you will need a small spinning reel to fit.

JoeV - HELP

Derek

Banned
I'm not positive about this and others here can give you a definitive answer. I believe the reel seats on a fly rod are the same except smaller than on most spinning rods. Therefore you will need a small spinning reel to fit.

JoeV - HELP
Thank you for your help Buzz.

I'm still unsure as well, and if it is the case then I can still fish from a dock, shore, or bridge.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
hey derek you can buy a inexpensive spinning real combo for less than $25 dollars at Meijers...i have been using the same ultralight for the past 3 years and works well..i have brought in many fish with it.

in michigan, they print out your license right away for you.. nice little green card..lol

Derek

Banned
hey derek you can buy a inexpensive spinning real combo for less than $25 dollars at Meijers...i have been using the same ultralight for the past 3 years and works well..i have brought in many fish with it.

in michigan, they print out your license right away for you.. nice little green card..lol
Thanks for the reply Jeff, Yeah Meijers is a jip.

I'll go to walmarts which will become a super Walmarts this coming November.

All I think I need now is a spinning real, if I can use my rod?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
most lower end fly rods will not interchange with a spinning reel. i actually got my ultralight rod combo cheaper at meijer than the walmart had to offer. i just looked at it(it still has the tag on it - 19.99) and it came with 6lb test on it already.

Derek

Banned
most lower end fly rods will not interchange with a spinning reel. i actually got my ultralight rod combo cheaper at meijer than the walmart had to offer. i just looked at it(it still has the tag on it - 19.99) and it came with 6lb test on it already.
I rather pay $19.99 for a spining wheel and I could have the best of both worlds :)

Thanks for the tip Jeff, I'll look at miejers and wallmarts see if they've clanged.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Spin/Fly combo rods are available, but I will tell you that the initial rod design is a spinning rod. The handle is reversible for that the fly reel is at the end of the handle instead of midway up the handle. They do not work as good as a fly rod because of the design of the line guides (the thingys that the line passes through), but in a pinch they can be used.

That being said, the answer is NO to putting a spinning reel on a fly rod. The design of both the closed face and open faced reels is such that they require a very large guide for the line to uncoil through, and the fly rod uses a "stripper guide" that is significantly smaller in diameter, and the line will foul if you try to use a spinning rod.

The big box retailers like Wal-Mart all have spinning rod/reel combos starting around $25 and up, and Cabelas has one starting at $29.99. With the weather warming up, you might be able to find a complete setup at a garage sale if you have time to drive around. Keep in mind, that the more you pay the better quality the components will be, and teh more enjoyable the fishing experience will be. For me, and many others, fishing is our form of relaxation. It's not about catching fish, it's about being out in nature and enjoying all that she has to offer. It's spiritual.

Derek

Banned
Spin/Fly combo rods are available, but I will tell you that the initial rod design is a spinning rod. The handle is reversible for that the fly reel is at the end of the handle instead of midway up the handle. They do not work as good as a fly rod because of the design of the line guides (the thingys that the line passes through), but in a pinch they can be used.

That being said, the answer is NO to putting a spinning reel on a fly rod. The design of both the closed face and open faced reels is such that they require a very large guide for the line to uncoil through, and the fly rod uses a "stripper guide" that is significantly smaller in diameter, and the line will foul if you try to use a spinning rod.

The big box retailers like Wal-Mart all have spinning rod/reel combos starting around $25 and up, and Cabelas has one starting at $29.99. With the weather warming up, you might be able to find a complete setup at a garage sale if you have time to drive around. Keep in mind, that the more you pay the better quality the components will be, and teh more enjoyable the fishing experience will be. For me, and many others, fishing is our form of relaxation. It's not about catching fish, it's about being out in nature and enjoying all that she has to offer. It's spiritual.
Thanks Joe, I don't know what I'm going to do, I guess I'll stay with my fly rod and practice with that, And later in the summer purchase a spinning real & rod.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh, I almost forgot about your practice question. Take your combo and assemble it OUTSIDE on a LAWN. Do not practice on asphalt, concrete or gravel. You will destroy the fly line by putting nicks in it, and teh first time it comes in contact with water it will fill with water and sink like a rock. Ideally, you should practice on water with no trees or bushes around. IF your combo came with a book showing how to cast, you can start with that. Or, there are about a bazillion videos online that will teach you the basic stroke, then it's up to you to practice, practice, practice. If you know someone who already fly fishes, ask them if they will help you learn the basic cast.

DO NOT ASSEMBLE OR CAST YOUR ROD IN THE APARTMENT. The ceiling is low, and you will end up breaking the tip. You need lots of room, and outside is the best place.

Good Luck!

Mr. Green Jeans

Working on plans for a fishing trip to some high mountain lakes (7500') on the OR/NV border. We leave 6/13 providing the roads are open then (snow). The dinner menu will be pan seared brook trout or Spam. How's that for motivation?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Working on plans for a fishing trip to some high mountain lakes (7500') on the OR/NV border. We leave 6/13 providing the roads are open then (snow). The dinner menu will be pan seared brook trout or Spam. How's that for motivation?

No problem. I'll take the SPAM over trout every day. Trout is the one fish I just can't seem to find a recipe that will kill its damn fishy taste. SPAM, on the other hand, is a very versatile food, and is always in my camp kitchen.

P1000869.jpg

leolady

Seen 'em, but a gill line is cheaper (1 dollar or less), and if you're on the shore or boat, works just as well for 4-6 hours.

Not for me it doesn't.

There have been many times when the only thing that saved my catch from turtles, who would have eaten them, was the wire cage of the fish basket!

Those pesky turtles would have eaten my fish right off the stringer. They were so aggressive that they damaged the wire mesh basket!:twak:

I fish for catfish, carp, bluegill, crappie, and bass, and I love it. And yep, I use live bait and dough baits all by myself!

Anyone who wants to fish with me can. I have enough tackle for 10 to 20 friends!

Derek

Banned
Not for me it doesn't.

There have been many times when the only thing that saved my catch from turtles, who would have eaten them, was the wire cage of the fish basket!

Those pesky turtles would have eaten my fish right off the stringer. They were so aggressive that they damaged the wire mesh basket!:twak:

I fish for catfish, carp, bluegill, crappie, and bass, and I love it. And yep, I use live bait and dough baits all by myself!

Anyone who wants to fish with me can. I have enough tackle for 10 to 20 friends!
Sounds like Fun Leo Lady.

Mr. Green Jeans

Likewise y'all are welcome to come to Orygun and fish my nursery's 65 acre reservoir for largemouth. Last week 6 fish on 6 casts (tube jig). Now the the water has warmed I'm switching to fly tackle and trying my hand at some top water bass flies.

leolady

Thanks Derek!

I use Spin casting tackle, which is as you know commonly called beginners stuff. That is what most of the folks I know use here.

I use Ugly Stiks of various sizes with the better quality Zebco reels. My big boys are Zebco 270 Brute spin casting reels with 20 lb test spiderwire. I like Spiderwire. I use these for catfish and carp and I put them in heavy duty stake rod holders with strike detectors that light up and buzz.

So I don't get bored waiting for a strike, I use a variety of medium Ugly Stiks from 14 to 8 lbs and Zebco One Classic reels, Zebco Omega Z03 and Zebco Omega Zebco Z02 reels for just messing around with bass or just general fishing.

I have little 4 and 6 lb Ugly Stiks with Zebco Prostaff 2010 and tiny Zebco UL3 Classic reels. I use these little suckers so I can have fun with bluegills and their relatives, and crappie and striped perch.

I have all kinds of neat little bobbers in all sizes, some light up or do neat stuff.

I have my late Uncle's fancy dancy stake rod holder that buzzes and lights up and sets the hook.

I have my grandad's neat fiberglass rods and spincasting reels from Heddon, Silaflex, Pflueger, Fenwick, Abu Garcia, Zebco, and Johnson from the 50's and 60's. Grandad had some neat old Shakespeare Wonderrods too.
I even have a couple of Ron Popeil's pocket fishermans!

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank
Likewise y'all are welcome to come to Orygun and fish my nursery's 65 acre reservoir for largemouth. Last week 6 fish on 6 casts (tube jig). Now the the water has warmed I'm switching to fly tackle and trying my hand at some top water bass flies.
Nothing like the explosion of a largie hitting a top water!!!

Ronjohn

The ultimate topwater lure for big fish.... Seals.

shark.jpg

Not that I would ever want to fish for a Great White with a seal. :shock:

crewsk

I went fishing Wednesday night. Hubby & I were striper fishing & the kids were fishing for brim, I got kind of bored so I joined the kids for a bit. We didn't catch any stripers, but hubby caught a gar (nasty, mean things!!). The kids & I caught several small brim & then Savannah caught a huge one that resembled a large mouth bass. She also caught a small spotted catfish. We don't keep anything we catch though, hubby doesn't like to eat fish.

Attachments

• DSCF9669.jpg
    DSCF9669.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF9670.jpg
    DSCF9670.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 631

Derek

Banned
Thanks Derek!

I use Spin casting tackle, which is as you know commonly called beginners stuff. That is what most of the folks I know use here.

I use Ugly Stiks of various sizes with the better quality Zebco reels. My big boys are Zebco 270 Brute spin casting reels with 20 lb test spiderwire. I like Spiderwire. I use these for catfish and carp and I put them in heavy duty stake rod holders with strike detectors that light up and buzz.

So I don't get bored waiting for a strike, I use a variety of medium Ugly Stiks from 14 to 8 lbs and Zebco One Classic reels, Zebco Omega Z03 and Zebco Omega Zebco Z02 reels for just messing around with bass or just general fishing.

I have little 4 and 6 lb Ugly Stiks with Zebco Prostaff 2010 and tiny Zebco UL3 Classic reels. I use these little suckers so I can have fun with bluegills and their relatives, and crappie and striped perch.

I have all kinds of neat little bobbers in all sizes, some light up or do neat stuff.

I have my late Uncle's fancy dancy stake rod holder that buzzes and lights up and sets the hook.

I have my grandad's neat fiberglass rods and spincasting reels from Heddon, Silaflex, Pflueger, Fenwick, Abu Garcia, Zebco, and Johnson from the 50's and 60's. Grandad had some neat old Shakespeare Wonderrods too.
I even have a couple of Ron Popeil's pocket fishermans!
No problem Leolady, I probably try to get my brother up here from Montana, and see if he could show me a few tricks this summer.

Nothing like the explosion of a largie hitting a top water!!!
I've fished before and I love the fight, I even did the boat charter and trolling before and that was pretty fun.

The ultimate topwater lure for big fish.... Seals.

shark.jpg

Not that I would ever want to fish for a Great White with a seal. :shock:

I went fishing Wednesday night. Hubby & I were striper fishing & the kids were fishing for brim, I got kind of bored so I joined the kids for a bit. We didn't catch any stripers, but hubby caught a gar (nasty, mean things!!). The kids & I caught several small brim & then Savannah caught a huge one that resembled a large mouth bass. She also caught a small spotted catfish. We don't keep anything we catch though, hubby doesn't like to eat fish.
Congrats cresk, Looked like you guys had a fun time and that's what makes fishing fun.

crewsk

We did have a good time & the kids love fishing so that makes it even better. If you go to my profile on here there is an album of fish that we have caught. Lucky for us, it takes less than 10 minutes to get to the lake.

Derek

Banned
We did have a good time & the kids love fishing so that makes it even better. If you go to my profile on here there is an album of fish that we have caught. Lucky for us, it takes less than 10 minutes to get to the lake.
Very cool, and the boredman river is 8 minutes away on my mo-ped.

crewsk

Nice! Hopefully my son will be better by Sunday. I'm off work & we had planned on taking the boat out.