Help! I have bees in my eaves!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have bees nesting in one corner of my house in the eaves down here at the coast. They used to live in the crotch of my neighbor's tree, but the tree got hit by lightning and split so they moved to my house last year. DH got the bright idea to vacuum them out into a shop vac that he has sprayed liberally with insecticide. He taped a long piece of PVC to the end of the hose and it actually kinds worked! That was last year. Apparently, he didn't get them all and they are kinda pissed off this year. He tried it again and got stung a lot! Also, they trapped us in the house for hours by swarming around the front door! I'm thinking I will need to call a professional, but I thought I'd check with y'all first. Anybody had any luck getting rid of honeybees from their eaves?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's what I've been using for the ones outside of the eaves (and it does kill them instantly), but apparently there are millions inside! But maybe if I do this often enough, it will kill enough to let me get close enough to point it at the hole where they go in. (They are really pissed off now and will come after us if we just walk near that side of the house!)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
you know honey bees are endangered. i would call you municipal building and ask before you kill them. if the bees all die we are ALL up the creek because no plants will be pollinated. trust me i have no love lost for bees after i got attacked (26 stings on one leg and 28 on the other) after stepping on a ground hive by accident. but the planet needs honey bees. think of no more produce.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Is there a local honey producer, they may be able to come and reemove the nest or give you advice.

homecook

Terry, I had this exact problem at my mom's condo right by the front door. They would dive-bomb us every time we tried to get into the house. I did have to call an extermintor. He told me absolutely, positively do NOT spray them with an aerosol type spray!! He blew some powdery type stuff into the eave probably three times in a matter of 45 minutes. He said just spraying the outside won't do a thing. My mom's soffit was filled with them. Fortunately within 2-3 days they were completely gone and he didn't have to come back. He did say I could get something at the hardware store but my memory is not in gear right now and I can't think what it's called. I'll try to look for the paperwork today and let you know.

Keltin, I tried the foam stuff before calling the exterminator, he was non too happy that I had used it. LOL ......all it did was piss them off more...

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a link to someone who removes bees in San Antonio.
http://www.adkinsbeeremoval.com/san-antonio.php

I know that you are at the coast, but, they may be able / willing to guide you or refer you.

If they are honey bees and there is a local beekeeper, they will likely remove the bees for free.

I also read ablut Africanized bees in your area. Here is that information.

If you're trying to get rid of bees and you live in the middle and upper areas of the United States, it's not as difficult to find a beekeeper that will remove bees for free, as long as the beekeeper is close by and the bees are easily accessible. If you're trying to get rid of bees in California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, or Florida (counties with Africanized Bees) chances are no one will collect your bees for free. Select this map for a larger view of the africanized honeybee (AHB) movement, included is a brief history of honeybee removal in the US. In addition, if you're trying to get rid of bees in the structure of your walls, attic, roof, or chimney, it may also be difficult to find someone who will collect them for free because of the difficulties involved.If you're trying to get rid of bees and you live in the middle and upper areas of the United States, it's not as difficult to find a beekeeper that will remove bees for free, as long as the beekeeper is close by and the bees are easily accessible. If you're trying to get rid of bees in California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, or Florida (counties with Africanized Bees) chances are no one will collect your bees for free. Select this map for a larger view of the africanized honeybee (AHB) movement, included is a brief history of honeybee removal in the US. In addition, if you're trying to get rid of bees in the structure of your walls, attic, roof, or chimney, it may also be difficult to find someone who will collect them for free because of the difficulties involved.

That came from This Site.

I also read (I cannot remember exactly where, I have looked at probably 20 sites this AM) that you might be able to rent a bee smoker that would calm the bees while they are removed. I also read that if they are Honey bees, you will need to open the eves and get out the honey as it can melt and run.

Prior research indicated that if the Queen can somehow be removed, everyone else will follow.

Not much information, I hope that it helps a bit.

chowhound

I've got some of that powder stuff. It works great on the hornets that find the cracks in the block (and any other hole) and build their nest inside. Totally wipes them out. I bought it online, but I don't have the link at the moment.
I had a nest in my eave before. The insulators found it when they were spraying. It was about 2 ft big. They sprayed the crap out of it with the hot foam and encapsulated it, but that still didn't kill all the hornets. Most of them though, and shooting cans of spray in the hole finished the rest off. I'm sure if I had that dust at the time it would have worked better.

Biskit

Unlike humans, bees are smart enough to go home at night. They'll all be in their hive where you can fumigate them through the crack they use as a doorway. Have the caulking gun handy and caulk the crack ASAP after gassin' 'em!

chowhound

Unlike humans, bees are smart enough to go home at night. They'll all be in their hive where you can fumigate them through the crack they use as a doorway. Have the caulking gun handy and caulk the crack ASAP after gassin' 'em!

That will work if you kill them all. If you don't kill them all and they have lost their main door, they will create a new one, most likely into the house. I never seal the hole until I don't see any activity for a couple weeks.

homecook

I've got some of that powder stuff. It works great on the hornets that find the cracks in the block (and any other hole) and build their nest inside. Totally wipes them out. I bought it online, but I don't have the link at the moment.
I had a nest in my eave before. The insulators found it when they were spraying. It was about 2 ft big. They sprayed the crap out of it with the hot foam and encapsulated it, but that still didn't kill all the hornets. Most of them though, and shooting cans of spray in the hole finished the rest off. I'm sure if I had that dust at the time it would have worked better.

The dust stuff is supposed to stick on the bees and they'll take it into the nest and spread it around and take it to the Queen bee. That's what the guy told me anyway. You can find it at Lowe's, HD and I think even Ace Hdwe. At least here you can. I just can't think of the name??? Wait, this may be it....

http://www.bugsaway.com/articles/drione_dust.htm

chowhound

Yeah, I checked the online site where I bought it from and they are out of stock of every size and trying to sell you a substitute that I never heard of. I wonder if it's like Viper, the spider spray I use every year. I tried to order that stuff online and they wouldn't ship to PA, yet I could buy it locally at retail price. Probably more stuff being hit by EPA regulations. It's not like I'm going to cook with the stuff. I just want to kill shit that bothers me with it. (lol).

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thank you so much, y'all! I will first look for a beekeeper to remove them live. If I can't find anyone, the link Andy posted is a company that also services this area so I will go that route. Plus, I will get the powder to follow up and make sure they stay gone. Y'all are the best!!!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Terry, I they may not be bees but carpenter wasps. It may be best to go with an exterminator.

CharlieD

I hate bees, or anything alike. Just murdered the whole nest under my deck. Interestingly as soon as they started to die the live ones strted to leave.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm disappointed.

not one of yous wise guys said, in response to the thread's title, " well, we already knew she had bats in her belfry..."

:bonk:

buckytom

Grill Master
such words were never uttered at vb's house...

ok, so the sush has checked in. where's vb?

and for that matter, where is sattie, mav, and (insert your name here so we can act like we miss you)

:mrgreen:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
such words were never uttered at vb's house...

ok, so the sush has checked in. where's vb?

and for that matter, where is sattie, mav, and (insert your name here so we can act like we miss you)

:mrgreen:
you need a visit from the wooden spoon!!

buckytom

Grill Master
how many times do i have to tell you and vb that i'm not paying for it, so just stop. ok?

hmmm, can i get a free one for biskit?