New knife just arrived

chowhound

Woo-Hoo :clap:

Excuse the crappy crackberry pic, but I just got my new knife and a pic was in order, if only to avoid the, This thread is worthless... posts :wink:. I only ordered it Sunday night, too.
I can't wait to cut something with it (lol). I wanted something smaller than my gyutos, but larger than a paring knife. And the pettys just resembled the gyutos too much. I wanted something a little different. I'm hoping this Tojiro honesuki with 5.9" blade will suit me well for a utility style knife and something a little more maneuverable than my present gyutos. It feels very solid.

Attachments

• honesuki.jpg
    honesuki.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 184

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent boning knife. Enjoy and post some more when you've had a chance to put it to use. :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You do know what this knife is basically used for I assume but if not for boning chickens. My wife uses hers for a utility knife as well but it is a bit heavy for me for those tasks. It really excels thought at jointing chicken wings and such. Oh and in the case of this knife the sharping in done more on the right side with simply deburring on the left side of the edge. It is an excellent knife and I've given a couple as gifts to my family over the years as well as one of the larger garasuki.

chowhound

Thanks, Buzz.
I know it's a deboning knife, but I doubt it will get much use that way. Not unless I start boning my own chicken anyway. I expect its fisrt "real" use will be deveining the shrimp I hope to get tomorrow (lol). And just a knife to grab instead of a gyuto.
Thanks for the sharpening tip.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Beautiful, chowhound. That is the same kind of box that my knife came in. I took pictures but just need to download them at some point.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Woo-Hoo :clap:

Excuse the crappy crackberry pic, but I just got my new knife and a pic was in order, if only to avoid the, This thread is worthless... posts :wink:. I only ordered it Sunday night, too.
I can't wait to cut something with it (lol). I wanted something smaller than my gyutos, but larger than a paring knife. And the pettys just resembled the gyutos too much. I wanted something a little different. I'm hoping this Tojiro honesuki with 5.9" blade will suit me well for a utility style knife and something a little more maneuverable than my present gyutos. It feels very solid.

NICE, Chow! I know you're excited! Congratulations....I love new toys!

chowhound

Thanks FMD. In this case, with a blade not even 6", Mick would be saying, That's not a knife mate, now this is a knife. (lol)

Having a nice knife makes preparing your food so much more enjoyable. Go for it, Q.

chowhound

Thanks Pugger. After using it a while I really like it. I like it's hefty feel and that point is definitely lethal. It's one sharp bugger. I even use it to do a little chopping, but being that it's beveled on one side only, it drifts too much for me to want to use it if I was dicing.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I even use it to do a little chopping, but being that it's beveled on one side only, it drifts too much for me to want to use it if I was dicing.

Honesukis are double beveled and most come asymmetrical. Sharpen the short side until the bevels are even and your problem will be solved.

chowhound

Thanks Buzz. It sure looks like it's only beveled on one side to my eye, but I'm probably using the wrong term (lol).

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Buzz. It sure looks like it's only beveled on one side to my eye, but I'm probably using the wrong term (lol).

Every Japanese manufacturer grinds their double beveled knives differently, and some (Aritsuga "A" model) not at all.