Julie and Julia movie, etc.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I almost never go to the movies, although I enjoy it. But I went into town yesterday afternoon with a a friend to see Julie and Julia, because we'd heard so many good things about it.

It was a cute story. But Meryl Streep's performance as Julia Child was absolutely ASTOUNDING!!!

I think a lot of NCT'ers will like this movie -both the cooking part that Julie did as she worked her way through "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", one recipe at a time, and the part that showed some of Julia Child's background.

I would have preferred that the entire movie had been about Julia - I would have liked the full biography from childhood (no pun) to grave, and all the details in between. Still, we both enjoyed the movie immensely!

Went to AMC Lowe's theater near Boston Common. WOW!! 19 different cinemas on three floors, each is large with stadium seating and comfortable seats! We saw a half hour of previews and have 3 or 4 more to go back and see (the remake of Fame, being one of them).

Before the movie, we went to Jacob Wirth's (a German restaurant established in 1886) for fried pickles, fried calamari and a beer.

After the movie, we walked over to the Italian North End, to one of the August weekend feasts. Listened to a great young guy singing Italian songs, people-watched, had a couple of beers, and I had a fried rice ball (aranci) almost the size of a softball. Fantastic!

It was the most perfect weather of the entire year, and we had a great day!

Back to work today.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We had planned to see this yesterday but had some company who stayed longer than expected. Now I really, really want to see it! Sounds like you had a wonderful Saturday. Thanks for the review.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW and I just saw a report on this movie on the telly. Looks like it's a must see for both of us.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is on my to see list though it won't be in the movies as I will wait for it to come out on DVD then rent it. If I like it enough then I will buy it on Blue Ray format. I own a couple of foodie movies such as Ratatouille, No Reservations and Eat, Drink, Man, Woman though different all are excellent.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Julie & Julia

Who's seen it??? It was magnificent. Merryl Streep was superb, as was Anthony Tucci.
And watching all the cooking was delightful. Can't believe I said delightful, but it describes it perfectly.

So..who's seen it???

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Julie & Julia

i saw it last nite! it was adorable, great job, merryl! she studied her role well. the theatre was so crowded.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Qsis, Lou said the same thing, he was wishing the whole movie would have been about Julia..but then we would have missed the stuffed chicken meltdown..

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tell you what .... I am DEFINITELY going to make that damned Boeuf Bourginion recipe!

LOL!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
julia's boeuf bourguignon was one of the first things that i ever tried to cook when i got my first apartment. i vaguely remember it coming out ok in spite of my very limited cooking skills and 3 bottles of wine, only 1 of which went into the pot. then i had to tweak it in future attempts adding culinarily questionable things like white beans, or shiitake mushrooms, and i haven't made it since.
supposedly, it was "the" dish to make for company back in the early 70's.

i think it's time to give it another go. and if we ever get a babysitter, maybe i can drag dw to see it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have made it as well. I remember sauteing all the vegetables separately and buying a decent bottle of wine to make it with. How funny! I will be seeing the movie, too!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i own her discs, & my buddy laughs at the way she says 'beouf' to this day.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Julia's book Mastering the Art of French Cooking just went to number 1 on the bestseller's list...while Julie's book is lagging waaaaaaaaaay behind. Critics are saying the parts with her in it lack dimension. How can anyone hold a candle to Merryl Streep's performance?

Bucky, I'll sit for you. Serious as a stone. Just ask. You'll love the movie.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I absolutely loved this movie. I laughed at times, got kind of teary-eyed at times (when she found out about her sister's pregnancy), and just enjoyed the whole food scene. I want that cookbook now!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I want that cookbook now!
You should definitely get it, Cooksie! I found one in my MIL's box of cookbooks and it is the easiest book to use of any cookbook I have. It's amazing how well she describes each process in this book. The very first time I made mornay sauce - from this book - it came out perfectly! And her description of making wine reduction sauces is brilliant and fool-proof!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Fool-proof.....that's what I need :). I'm going to check out the prices/availability around here and then check the internet. I would imagine that it has flown off the shelves after this movie.