how to cook these?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i bought these this afternoon. think they're called 'cranberry pole beenz'. anyhoo, how to cook them? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_0883153.jpg
    IMG_0883153.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 165

Carolina Cooking

not sure. when I buy pole beans they are just tough ole greens ones :laugh:

I cook the heck out of them. bacon fat. thick slab bacon.or salt pork. 2c chix broth or just water. lid on for a hr or so lid off a while then I add red potato's. small onion or thick sliced onion.lid on some more. then cornbread on the side.

you might be able to use a ham hock or neck bones ? IDK.

somebody else who knows or has fixed them would know for sure.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
hehe, i've a strong penchant for pretty foods & for buying items i've not yet gotten.

got some salt pork or something in my frigerator. think there may be a hamhock in the depths of my kitch, too. got plenty of onion, & then some! so, you ingest them whole? or cut them, 'er.....
thanks!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
altho there's not anything definitive to indicate "size" - from the spread of the bag I'd say they're not over big.\

over big = tougher.

but in the end - like any other fresh green bean.
steam, saute, boil, take you're pick.

the coloration is not a determining thing in "how to cook" - various (typically) older open pollinated types have spots / stripes / whatever vs. the "modern" green from tip to tip types.

some of the types with colorations are not a candidate for eating raw - slight toxicity - which gets 'cooked out' - fyi.... not that a whole lotta' people eat raw green beans.... but for lima beans, is true. half the limas I grown never make it to the kitchen......

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
here's another pic; they seem like they'd get tender

Attachments

• IMG_0889156.jpg
    IMG_0889156.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 143

Norm

Snap off the flower and stem ends and see if they need to be stringed. If not break it in half. If it snaps and breaks cleanly, you can probably just cook them in salted water with some onions, bacon and salt until tender, about 10 minutes. My mom was from the south and she (and I) like to cook green beans for an hour in water with some onion bacon and salt. They might lose their pretty color if you cook them too long though.

If the shell is tough, you may need to take the beans out and cook them without the pods.

Leni

I've grown these. The beans may be to the shell stage. Usually you don't want them to be too long if you are going to treat them like a green bean. When you snap the pod look to see if there are strings that need to be removed. Also look to see how big the seeds are and do they have color to them. You can always cook them as a snap bean and if they are tough just remove the seeds and eat just them.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
hm, i'll snap a few & send you pix, leni. could we work on those from there?

Nancy-MD

luvs, I'd be interested to know what you thought they tasted like raw? If they taste like a raw regular green bean or not. Maybe just take a bite of one of them before you cook them, please????

It seems like if it was the same texture as a regular green bean, you should be able to cook it the same way.

buckytom

Grill Master
luvs, my birds love cranberry beans. even though yours are still green (the shell turns beige with red markings as they get older) they look like they'd have to be shelled as leni mentioned. they're really not intended to be eaten as a fresh stringbean, but they probably can if very young - like before they get lumpy.

how about impressing us with a cranberry bean cassoulet? or a piasz? or soup?

Last edited: