Parmigiano Reggiano. Good or bad?

chowhound

I've got some parm reg in the fridge that I know I bought at least 6 months ago, maybe longer. I keep it in a vaccum sealed bag. It looks good, it tastes good, but is it safe? How can you tell if a dry cheese goes bad? Or do they even go bad?

GhettoRacingKid

I know they have a long shelf life becuase of the very low moisture content.

you can play the better safe then sorry but if you got a big hunk that you paid good cash for and it looks and tastes fine i think it would be ok.

suziquzie

Here's your favorite kind of answer.....
"I think" ... or "I'm pretty sure".....

Hard cheeses keep alot longer than softer ones, and keeping it in fresh wrap and away from air makes it keep better.

I have big blocks of parm for 3 months sometimes (doesnt last long around here) that are just fine in a ziplock.... I would think yours is just fine.

I may be wrong... just my 1 1/2 cents.
:)

PanchoHambre

i dont think it could be unsafe... if it sits too long sometimes it looses too much moisture and some of its flavor and gets really hard but you can still use it to cook with

cheese will taste off if it goes bad... it's already mold so unless there is new 'other mold' on it your good and even so you can scrape it off.

GotGarlic

I think it's fine. If there's something growing on it that doesn't look right, just cut it off. I keep Parm-Reg for months, too.

chowhound

Thanks.
The reason I'm wondering is because something turned my stomach just a little the other night. I know it was something I ate and am trying to narrow down what it might have been because I have no idea.

GotGarlic

The problem with trying to figure that out is that it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days for symptoms of food poisoning to show up. So it could be lots of things.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are some tips on storage.

Fresh parmesan can be kept for about four weeks if refrigerated. Wrap first in a layer of wax paper and then in foil. Each time you use it, be sure to rewrap in a clean sheet of wax paper.
Parmesan can be frozen whole or shaved, but may have some flavor deterioration.
Ground, dried parmesan does not need to be refrigerated until opened, unless it was purchased in the dairy section at the store. Once the seal is removed, flavor will remain at its best with refrigeration.​

pugger

At our house it would get moldy after a while. If it's not moldy, I bet it's better than ever.

chowhound

Joe, so what happens after four weeks?
I just know something set me off the other night and figured it must have been the parm, but who knows, like GG said.
I was just figuring that even wit hthe vaccum sealing and it looking the same as the day I bought it, half a year may be too long to store cheese. Even if it is aged.

I guess the only way to find out is to eat it again (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Depending on how it is stored it can last from 90 days to a year with the exception of shredded which start to loose flavor in a few days. I read probably 20 sites today and none had a solid answer as to how long it will keep. It takes a from a year to 3 years of aging though that is in a solid block. Once the block is cut you are then on the clock but again no one seems to know any set number of days, months or even years except once shredded. My current block we have been using now for about 90 days and still is good.