Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Diet Recipes Forum > Medically Eating - Tips and Tricks Forum

Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Thanked 1,909 Times in 599 Posts
dansdiamond is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cancer Cachexia

Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Default Re: Medically Eating-Tips & Tricks

For cancer the research suggests that the following foods are appropriate and perhaps helpful to eat. As always check with your doctor and have appropriate blood work done before following any of the research suggestions from this or other sources. The recipes for including these foods in your diet and the research supporting these recommendations are included in my 4 books.

Some foods to consider eating more often

Pumpkin, canned or cooked ( highest beta carotene of any food I have listed here)
Carrots, lightly cooked (better than raw because light cooking releases the caroteniods)
Sweet potatoes
Green leafy vegetables
Squash
Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower (eat with foods that have a little canola or olive oil, it helps your body absorb the caroteniods)
Broccoli sprouts (20 more times by weight of the chemical sulforaphane, which may reduce the growth of tumors.)
Mustard greens
Chick peas,Kidney beans, Lentils, Soybeans (stimulates cancer preventing enzymes, can help lower harmful estrogen levels)
Tomatoes, especially cooked
Garlic, Onions (stimulates enzymes that suppress tumor growth)
Defatted soy flour (at least 1/3 cup per day recommended)
At least 97% or greater fat-free chicken or turkey breast (I look for 99% fat free.)
97% or greater fat free lunch meats
Pasta with meat sauces using 99% fat free chicken
Homemade low fat pizza
Salmon and other fish, (mackerel, sardines, herring. )including the skin and fat (Research suggests this fat (EPA fat) has the ability to raise HDLs. and potentially fight cancer cell development 1-5 servings per week recommended)
Olive oil or canola oil substituted for other oils
Walnuts (for the omega 3)
Brown and wild rice
Whole grain breads, ideally with defatted soy flour
Fat free milk (skim)
Oatmeal, shredded wheat, low-no sugar added cereals
Fresh fruits especially Blueberries (40% more antioxidants than the next best, Strawberries)
Green tea
Red or black grapes
Grape juice, 1 cup per day
Grapefruit, especially pink which has 40% more beta carotene than white
Calcium fortified orange juice, 2 cups per day
Dried unsweetened fruits, especially apricots, dates, prunes
Homemade fat-free yogurt, with extra dry milk added (2 cups per day recommended)
Tupelo honey as a substitute for sugar in cakes, cookies, breads, etc.

Foods to consider avoiding

1%, 2% and whole milk
Meats with 96% fat or less
Red meats
Hydrogenated oils, such as stick margarine. Or foods that list hydrogenated oils in their ingredients
Food with high butter fat and other animal fats such as whole milk or creams such as cheese, full fat yogurt, butter, sauces. They feed the cancers and can interfere with caroteniods absorption
Deep-fried foods
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Entree Cook

Wasabi is on a distinguished road
Style: Gonzo

Humor is what keeps us going.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Since we haven't heard from ArnettaMae today, Let me post what she wrote in the Caring Bridge Web Site Journal.
"Warren is still very tired and sleeping a lot, but he feels better today. He is trying to take nourishment, too. He had an Ensure Plus this morning. Then, just a few minutes ago, he asked me for a scoop of Whey Protein powder (ours is chocolate) mixed with soy milk. I used half soy and half chocolate Ensure Plus for the liquid, added a couple ice cubes to chill it and put everything in the blender. It's pretty good!

Warren is down to 141 pounds on his 6'+ frame now. I'm so glad the doctors are meeting with us to discuss alternatives! Thanks for crossing your fingers and saying your prayers with us! "

Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 PM
The Invisible

TexasGirl is on a distinguished road

Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Update Warren & Arnetta-
Warren had a procedure this am, and it all went well.
If anyone wants to follow Arnetta's Journal, or if you want the link to Caring Bridge-
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/warrenw2
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Hi Dan,
Don't know if you read the earlier journal entry about Warren's PEG surgery this morning. It was a nice restful afternoon, true, but the morning was a bit frantic. I was able to catch up on some organizational stuff this afternoon and that felt good.

Anyway, I wanted you to know that Warren's feeding tube is in. He's in quite a bit of pain tonight at the surgical site, but I think the second Oxycodone of the day should help that.

I will still try to develop recipes for the Medically Eating site - Warren is still able to eat food, too, but he will receive supplementation through the tube.

It would seem strange to me to go to bed this early but everyone else is so I guess I might as well follow suit. I haven't had a beer in weeks and I love beer - maybe that will help me mellow out and get to sleep. A shot of rum is always good for that, too.
Arnetta Mae
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/warrenw2
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Bottle Washer

arnettamae is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,
It's been pretty busy here following Warren's surgical procedure this past Thursday to put in a feeding tube. He is still healing and the visiting nurse hasn't come around with the equipment and food yet, so I haven't had a chance to try feeding Warren this new way. He is existing on Ensure Plus for now.

Before Warren swore off food altogether, he enjoyed the following calorie laden scrambled eggs. His rejection of food had nothing to do with this last meal, though. I still have our daughter, Caryn's, famous New York Cheesecake in the freezer for him and he doesn't want that either. That cheesecake was always Warren's favorite birthday and Father's Day Gift from Caryn!

I hope you find this recipe helpful and healthful!

Re: Medically Eating-Tips & Tricks.(Cancer Cachexia)
Scrambled Eggs
I use a cast iron skillet sprayed with Pam for the following recipe:

*Mix 1/3 cup undiluted whole evaporated milk and ¼ cup milk powder in a cup and pour into skillet.
*Add one pat of butter and salt to taste

Heat mixture on medium low until hot but not bubbling and butter is melted
Stir in two large eggs then cook and stir until the eggs are “light and fluffy”.
Serve warm.

These two scrambled eggs yield 390 calories!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Food Sound Eng.

High Calorie, High Protein Milkshakes

Banana Nut Milkshake
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 pkg vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB)
4 oz half-and-half milk
½ capful of black walnut extract
½ ripe banana

599 calories, 15 grams protein
Peppermint Milkshake
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 pkg vanilla CIB
4 oz half-and-half milk
½ to 1 capful of peppermint extract
2 drops red food coloring

559 calories, 15 grams protein
Coffee Milkshake
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 pkg vanilla CIB
4 oz half-and-half milk
1 pkg instant coffee (dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water)

Chocolate Mint Milkshake
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 pkg chocolate CIB
4 oz half-and-half milk
½ capful mint/peppermint extract

Cholcolate Almond Milkshake
1 cup chocolate ice cream
1 pkg chocolate CIB
4 oz half-and-half milk
½ capful almond extract

Peach Milkshake
½ cup vanilla ice cream
1 pkg vanilla CIB
4 oz half-and-half milk
2 canned peach halves

625 calories, 15 grams protein
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Food Sound Eng.

My Story

I, Arnetta, have been Warren's wife since July 1, 1967. We have two wonderful children, their loving mates and four grandchildren who love him, too. Welcome to our CaringBridge site. It has been created to keep friends and family updated about our loved one.
Please read the latest in the journal, view the photo gallery, and drop us a line in the guestbook.

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Sunday, May 3, 2009 10:55 PM, EDT

I want to receive Journal update notification e-mails.
It is, of course, as some of you have noted, difficult to enjoy a totally “Happy Birthday” when Warren is so gravely ill. That not withstanding, this was undoubtedly the best day I could have imagined under the present circumstances. Warren slept through most of it but I know he was with us in spirit!

First, the day dawned gloriously beautiful – my first great gift of the day from God Himself! Then I found that my Inboxes were overflowing with wishes for a wonderful day. Many of you, especially those of you who share my senior citizen status, will attest to the fact that as you get older, it’s much more about the presence of friends and family in your life than the presents from friends and family. Yet today Warren and I seemed to enjoy both in abundance.

First one of my neighbors, Jean, stopped by, to volunteer herself and her husband for yard and entranceway service. It was a huge relief to know that I will have a lot of help in making our subdivision entranceway beautiful this summer!

Diana arrived with my Sam’s Club order and a birthday hug.

Two of Warren’s best friends, Frank and Bob, came to visit Warren for a few minutes and give me a birthday hug, too.

Our daughter Caryn arrived around the same time as the two guys bearing hugs and a birthday cake with lots of yummy frosting (the best part)!

Karen Arseneau from the Farmington Community Chorus and her husband, Ross, came from the church across the street, a bag of gardening supplies and a change of clothing in hand. Karen announced that they had come to clean up around the deck where Warren and I sit so that we can enjoy the beauty of our yard on nice days.

As I helped Karen and Ross set up to work, I was dying to get out there and work today, too; Warren was sleeping in the sunroom but I didn’t want to leave him unattended. That’s when Karen gave me another wonderful gift – I believe she mentioned getting a monitor. Instantly, I remembered that I still have the Fisher Price Nursery Monitor that we purchased so Dad could keep an ear on Mom while he puttered around the house inside and out.

The nursery monitor is still in perfect working order! I can hear the clock ticking several feet away from the monitor as I sit here and type. I even hear Warren’s every breath just as I could in the yard today, so I know I will hear him call me! Why hadn’t I thought of this before?! Now when I am sure that Warren is sleeping soundly, I can take the handset and go do other things close by – switch my wardrobe over to summer clothes, putter in the yard, clean another room; the possibilities are endless.

All afternoon, the good things just kept on coming! Jay and Kate arrived with Kate’s delicious baked spaghetti and a cucumber, tomato and cheese salad for our dinner. While Karen, Ross, Caryn, Kate and I worked on yard clean up, Justin (Jay) got the mulching mower started and mowed the front lawn. He also tried to start the wide swath (42”), self propelled mower that Warren always used for our huge back yard, but had no luck with that one. Our Craftsman tractor, which hasn’t been used for many years, has four flat tires – one with a crack. For now, we found that the back yard is too wet to mow anyway, but I will need to address that problem soon; the grass is getting very long!

Karen and I enjoyed a German import beer on the deck before she left (Ross had to leave earlier so I sent one home for him) then Caryn, Kate and I came in the house to begin to prepare for dinner while Justin finished mowing the last part of the lawn.

Soon Justin came in saying, “I found this lady outside holding a big pan of spinach lasagna and she wanted to come and give it to you.” Our neighbor, Faith, brought the disposable pan fresh and hot out of the oven, as promised, so I could cool it and freeze it for the next time our vegetarian daughter-in-law-to-be, Kate, comes for dinner. It smelled so good! I know we will eat well that day, too, thanks to Faith!

After Caryn left for Lansing, Kate and I finished the evening by switching all Justin’s bill payment info over to their address and new joint checking account so she can take over handling Justin’s electronic bill payments. Justin has learned how to make money and, fortunately, how to hang on to it, but he never got up to speed with disbursement. Kate is a whiz at that final step, so Warren and I feel very comfortable with her stepping into that role for Justin. I, also, find myself immensely relieved to be freed from it!

While Kate and I did the books, Justin got his motorcycle running and prepared to ride it home. Now with the motorcycle out of the garage and the monitor at my side, I can go out there tomorrow and rearrange the wall to free up the ramp we had built for Mom’s wheelchair. I really could have used that ramp for Warren this past week following Warren's surgery.

There may be times in the future when the ramp will come in handy, too; but not if Warren is able to give me the biggest birthday present I’ve ever asked him for – his return to good health! As my final birthday wish for the day, I lift that very same prayer up to God again. Thank you everyone for praying and wishing with us – it would make the best birthday present EVER!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Food Sound Eng.

I feel so fortunate not to have a cancer patient within my family, but reading ArnettaMaes Jounal. I am enlightenedto know how much good comes also with the bad! Thank You ArnettaMae for your Journal!
Warren Wm Whitehouse
My Story

I, Arnetta, have been Warren's wife since July 1, 1967. We have two wonderful children, their loving mates and four grandchildren who love him, too. Welcome to our CaringBridge site. It has been created to keep friends and family updated about our loved one.
Please read the latest in the journal, view the photo gallery, and drop us a line in the guestbook.

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Monday, May 4, 2009 11:36 PM, EDT

This is the second journal entry today.

It has been a heart-wrenching day. I'm glad I was a bit fortified for it by a great day yesterday.

Unfortunately, Warren felt miserable today. He was very anxious to get back home and could hardly wait for chemo to end. When the nurse found Warren was dangerously dehydrated, she wanted him to be seen by the doctor and receive an IV of fluids so he got pretty impatient with the situation. I convinced Warren to agree to see the doctor then I went out to get a cup of coffee and apologize to the nurse (also a good friend of mine from church) for Warren's impatience.

My nurse friend was immediately supportive of both Warren and me - she totally understands. She asked me if the kids and I are aware of how gravely ill Warren is. With welling emotion, she told me she has watched Warren deteriorate week by week, and is very afraid that the chemo is doing nothing to help him. It seems, in fact, to be robbing him of some quality of life he may otherwise be able to enjoy in the time he has left. She says there are large numbers of people in the medical community who debate whether or not chemo should even be offered to Stage IV pancreatic patients. She theorizes that maybe Warren feels the hopelessness of his situation and doesn't know how to voice it or even want to. She further suggested that our family be prepared to choose Hospice for Warren if the results of the CT scan on May14th show that the cancer is not responding favorably to chemo. I'm very afraid that we will have some tough choices to make soon. My nurse friend put voice to all the fears I have been feeling but was reluctant or afraid to say.

On a good note, Warren's food and equipment did arrive at 9:15 this evening as promised. The visiting nurse is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning to help us use it. She will call first so my cell phone is going to bed with me tonight so I don't miss the morning call! I'm hoping that once we get some nutrients in Warren he will start to improve and the quality of life will come back despite continuing chemo if it seems to be warranted.

On a wonderful note, my friend Melanie from church called to tell me that she had been given the honor of delivering a prayer quilt to us tonight. The quilt was made by many ladies from the church. This particular quilt was made especially for Warren so all the squares have been stitched and all the quilting done with prayers said especially for him. The background of the quilt and some of the squares include kitty cats. Other embroidered squares picture nautical motifs, including the lighthouse and sailboat square that I designed last year for the prayer quilt group's use.

Melanie's beautifully touching presentation of the quilt made both Warren and me misty eyed. We are very deeply touched by the love and thought that went into the piece. It will be Warren's constant companion for many weeks to come. In fact, the prayer quilt is laying over him tonight as he sleeps so all the prayers that went into the stitching of it are close to his body, soothing his soul with God's grace.

We pray tomorrow will be better!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Food Sound Eng.

CaringBridge® (www.caringbridge.org) is a free, nonprofit web service that connects family and friends to share information, love and support during a serious medical condition, treatment and recovery. It takes just a few moments for you to create your own personal and private CaringBridge website.
Free, personalized websites that support and connect loved ones during critical illness, treatment and recovery.

Visit a CaringBridge website

Access a classic CaringBridge website

Create a CaringBridge website

It’s free and easy! CaringBridge helps you stay connected with loved ones during a health crisis.
See How it Works

YOU CAN HELP

Do you know someone who needs support due to cancer treatment, premature birth or chronic illness?
Make a difference in the lives of families who depend on CaringBridge. Make a donation today.

Privacy Policy Update

Our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy have been updated effective 3/28/09.

Historic Victorinox North Pole ‘09 Expedition

Help support the Victorinox North Pole ‘09 fundraiser for CaringBridge by donating today at www.Firstgiving.com/NorthPole09.

Personal Stories View All Stories

Delivering a miracle. Amy Taylor was pregnant with her son when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Amy says CaringBridge “kept me going.”
Amy's Journey

Life lessons. During the last months of her life, Serena McCallum wrote—about everything. “CaringBridge allowed all of us to take this journey with her,” says daughter Consuelo.
Serena’s Gift

CaringBridge News Read More News

04/13/2009:
Stupid Cancer 101
04/03/2009:
St. Anthony’s Web site offers ways for loved ones to stay in touch
04/01/2009:
CaringBridge: A Valuable Tool for Social Workers and Those With Critical Illness

Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Food Sound Eng.

WE NEED PRAYERS!

Free, personalized websites that support and connect loved ones during critical illness, treatment and recovery.

Warren Wm Whitehouse

My Story

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:30 AM, EDT

This will be another short entry, but it is impregnated with much food for thought.

The news is good and bad. The MRI confirms that there is nothing sinister going on in Warren's head. The episodes of extreme confusion were evidently a result of a build up of the narcotic, Oxycodone, in his system.

Unfortunately, the CT scan shows that the chemo has not had any noticeable effect on the cancer. Dr. Doyle told me that there is one area in the lungs that looks like it may have even gotten worse. Other than that, the other areas look "stable".

We are wondering if "stable" is good or bad. Is "stability" worth the torture of chemo? Is it time for Hospice as Dr. Doyle suggests? Warren and I have a lot to digest, sort out, and talk about. Warren is not talkative right now, however, so maybe writing is better than sitting in silence. I really believe we are still in shock. A LOT has happened in just under two months time!

Sadly, for once in my life, I find that writing does not act as a magic elixer for me. And, as much as I love everyone of you out there, I can't bring myself to talk on the phone just yet. I have notified Warren's brother, Bob, and our daughter Caryn of the bad news. I have yet to call our son who would probably be asleep right now and not reading this journal. I will call him soon.

I know that all of you are anxious; I also know how Warren and I hate to be anxious, so I wanted you all to know the latest developments. Now I must come to grips with my emotions and try to sort things out. Those of you who know me well, know that needing "quiet time" is an extremely unusual requirement for me, yet that is where I now find myself. I will go pray. Please join me. I thank you with all my heart.

Read Journal

Guestbook

Guestbook signed 5 times today.

We cherish your messages. Take a moment to write a note in our guestbook or read entries from other visitors.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Food Sound Eng.

I deliver Medication for just 2 companies! (There are many Companies that deliver Pharacuticals) I deliver to so many Cancer Patients, I had no idea!
And we have 1/2 Dozen drivers.
My Point- There is a lot of Love, Dedication, Bravery, Reverance and Hope reading these Journals. Also a Link To Caring Bridge, If anyone close to you has to go through what Warren And Arnetta has.-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warren Wm Whitehouse
My Story

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:10 PM, EDT

From the very dark place of my e-mail this morning, the question I posed there shone as a faint, but hauntingly visible, beacon of light; shouldn’t “stability” be considered an improvement over a cancer that was growing like wildfire before chemo began?

After my retreat to prayer, Caryn called me to tell me about her conversation with a college friend, Amy – now an oncologist at Karmanos. Amy had recommended that I call Karmanos and see if Warren is eligible for some studies going on there. God prompted me to follow through with that idea. As it turned out, the studies that were being done had already closed. Also, they had been using Gemzar and Tarceva – the very same chemo drugs currently being prescribed for Warren at Henry Ford. What I did get out of the call is a promise to keep Warren on a list for future studies and, more importantly, the confirmation that “stability” is a normal first step in the treatment of cancer and could rightfully be considered a somewhat positive sign.

From there I began to reach out to others who may have some insight into our situation – my good friend, Helga, who 4 ½ years ago was given only a year to live, and Julee, a nurse friend and family cousin. After talking to them, I finished the task of constructing a beginning list of oncological questions to be researched and answered. Through the process, I became strong, hopeful and focused again.

The following questions are a starting point. Maybe some of you can add to them………………..

1. My original question was, ‘Shouldn’t “stability” be considered progress?’ At least that means the cancer has been arrested and presumably weakened. That fact begs the question, couldn’t we expect to possibly see improvement as the next step during the second round and in future rounds of chemo?

2. Warren’s appetite was null and void before the cancer was even diagnosed, so his inability to eat and the consequential weight loss isn’t necessarily the fault of the chemo. What’s more, he isn’t experiencing most of the normal unpleasant side effects from chemo. He is, in fact, handling the chemo well each week as witnessed by the fact that his blood work has been surprisingly strong and stable.
Warren also seems stronger following the tube feedings which didn’t fully begin until Wednesday, May 6. He even seems to have more appetite for food by mouth today. Wouldn’t he be able to withstand further chemo – at least on a week-to-week basis (suggested by Karmanos nurse) – if he is better and more nutritionally fortified?

3. How has Warren’s life expectancy been affected by chemo results to date?

4. We have received insurance acceptance of radiology coverage. Has radiology been discussed as a treatment option? If so, how would it be incorporated into the treatment plan?

5. According to the Karmanos Institute, Gemzar and Tarceva are now considered to be “standard treatment” for pancreatic cancer. What other treatments are there – accepted or not accepted as viable by the medical community?
What are some “outside the box” treatments to be considered?
Could Warren qualify for laser knife surgery?

6. Are there any studies being done by Henry Ford or other area hospitals using alternative treatments for which Warren might qualify?

7. Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic have each been suggested to us for a “second opinion”. Are there any others to be considered?
Would our current insurance help with the expense of seeking a second opinion?

By our consultation with Dr. Doyle on May 18, I hope to present the answers to most of these questions and a visibly stronger Warren. Signs abound this evening that a huge increase in Warren’s strength is happening. Warren asked for spaghetti and cheesecake for dinner and handled it well. Then, instead of calling me in to take his dinner tray from his lap as usual, he got up and walked it to the kitchen on his own. He also just went up the stairs to make sure his shaver is charging and came back down to finish watching “Jeopardy” and set “Survivor” to record. Now he is going up to shave and get ready for me to help him with his shower. Then he plans to come back down to watch Survivor before going up for the night. I hope he isn’t overdoing it, but he says he really is that much stronger! He also insists that he hasn’t had any pain today or yesterday. He says he still feels odd – slightly spacey – but he is feeling more alert.

I truly want to believe that this miraculous recovery of strength will continue! God, in His infinite power, can make it so!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Food Sound Eng.

http://www.cancerclub.com/our_friends.aspx

The Cancer Game An excellent way to get some stress or anger out over your frustration with cancer. Humorous computer game for cancer patients to enjoy.

Last edited by dansdiamond; 05-08-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Entree Cook

Wasabi is on a distinguished road

If any one Twitters, I'm a follower of know_cancer. Information and articles on cancer are posted daily.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Warren Wm Whitehouse

My Story

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Friday, May 8, 2009 11:45 PM, EDT

Warren woke up with a chipper “Good Morning” but unfortunately, it’s been downhill from there – at least for most of today. My euphoria over Warren’s show of increased strength and normalcy last night was, thus, pretty short lived.

The first major problem this morning was that Warren was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cold - down to the bone. This is about the third random such incident when I couldn't get it warm enough in the house or put enough clothing and blankets on Warren to make him comfortable. I even put a winter stocking cap on his head and turned our gas furnace in the sunroom on to supplement our main furnace. While I became MUCH too warm, Warren was still shivering under all his layers - regular underwear, long thermal underwear, a flannel shirt, fleece pants and a fleece jacket, a thermal sweatshirt jacket, three down blankets and a twin size comforter! Since Warren’s forehead felt normal and cool and he rarely runs a fever, I didn’t take his temperature. I hope he didn’t pick up some kind of virus while hospitalized on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Physical activity was the magic pill that warmed Warren up today. Somehow he pulled the feedbag line out of his feeding tube. So, unbeknownst to me and underneath all the blankets, the food from the bag as well as some of his stomach contents were spilling all over Warren’s clothing and into the couch. What an unbelievable mess and huge laundry! Absolutely everything was soaked and needed to be washed. The good part is that the very act of changing Warren into dry clothing and removing the soaked covers from the couch caused him to exert himself enough that he got over his shivers. Of course, by that time the powerful gas furnace going full blast in the sunroom had made the place into a sauna so that helped him, too.

Lesson to me - I now secure the food line to the feeding tube with a baggy tie!

The main problem today was that Warren had a lot of gas and difficulty in having a bowel movement. I believe the spaghetti and cheesecake he requested for dinner last night may have been too solid and too rich for his first non-liquid meal in several days. Today he had eggs and toast plus a very small scoop of ice cream to supplement his liquid food. I believe I’ve convinced him to work up to his favorite foods more gradually in the future.

This evening, Warren’s brother, Bob, stayed with him while I had a night out. My good friend, Celeste, and I celebrated our mutual birthdays by going to the Farmington Community Chorus Concert. I’ve never missed an FCC concert since I joined the group in the fall of 1991. Through the spring of 2007, I attended concerts while singing alto in the chorus. Except for the 2008 Holiday Session, I have seen the more recent shows from the audience and I really enjoy the different perspective. This show was, as always, wonderful! The beautiful full page ad in the program honoring Warren and me was very special and very much appreciated, too!

I hope I never have to miss an FCC show – one way or the other! It was great to see my FCC family again! I thoroughly enjoyed my evening out with Celeste while watching and listening to many of the nicest people and best friends in the world sing and dance!

Warren was in bed when I got home. Bob said they had a quiet evening and Warren took himself up to bed at about 9:30. When I went to check on him, he didn’t wake up so I don’t know how he is feeling. For many weeks I have had to help him get his clothing off before bed but it looks like he managed it himself this time. Hopefully that’s a sign that he is getting stronger.

Time to take care of the cats and tuck myself in, too! Thanks so much for checking in and for all your best wishes and many prayers for both of us!

Read Journal

Guestbook

Guestbook signed 0 times today.

We cherish your messages. Take a moment to write a note in our guestbook or read entries from other visitors.
Read Guestbook

9304 VISITS FROM FAMILY AND FRIENDS

HELP SOMEONE ELSE WHEN THEY NEED IT MOST

Tell a Friend about CaringBridge.
Help CaringBridge provide this free service to others who need similar support.

TRIBUTE DONATIONS TO CARINGBRIDGE

Read the caring tributes in honor of Warren Wm.
Make a Donation in tribute to Warren Wm to provide CaringBridge to all families who need it.

E-MAIL AUTHOR

arnettamae@twmi.rr.com

HOSPITAL INFORMATION

Our family home and periodic visits to Henry Ford Health Care
Farmington Hills, MI 48331

www.CaringBridge.org | 651.452.7940
Old 05-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Master Chef

Keltin is on a distinguished road

Held my tongue quite a bit on this one……

I’m just wondering dandiamond how you find these cartoons humorous in the face of a serious and life wasting disease?

My Dad died of lymphoma. He wasted away and parts of his body FELL OFF. Mom actually put one part in a jar and we took it to the hospital on his next visit.

My Grandmother and Grandfather both died of cancer.

I simply don’t find these cartoons humorous.

We tried all the experimental treatments and took trips to Washington DC, but everyone still DIED.

Dead.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I see how some might say we should make fun of our biggest threat, but Christ, what’s next, jokes on home invasion, jokes on car jacking, or jokes on Rape.

Oh, I can see it know, Mary was gang raped by 5 men, but look at how flexible she is now.

It’s just freaking sick if you ask me.

Some things need to be taken seriously. Period.

Your joking only implies you care not for the real and hard feelings that come when one is faced with this most serious disease.

It’s just not F’ing funny.

BUT ----- DW brings up one thing that keeps me from going over the edge. Are YOU dandaimond suffering through cancer right now? Do YOU have it, and is that why you are making these jokes? Dandiamond, I’m asking you now, do you have cancer?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:53 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltin View Post
Held my tongue quite a bit on this one……

I’m just wondering dandiamond how you find these cartoons humorous in the face of a serious and life wasting disease?

My Dad died of lymphoma. He wasted away and parts of his body FELL OFF. Mom actually put one part in a jar and we took it to the hospital on his next visit.

My Grandmother and Grandfather both died of cancer.

I simply don’t find these cartoons humorous.

We tried all the experimental treatments and took trips to Washington DC, but everyone still DIED.

Dead.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I see how some might say we should make fun of our biggest threat, but Christ, what’s next, jokes on home invasion, jokes on car jacking, or jokes on Rape.

Oh, I can see it know, Mary was gang raped by 5 men, but look at how flexible she is now.

It’s just freaking sick if you ask me.

Some things need to be taken seriously. Period.

Your joking only implies you care not for the real and hard feelings that come when one is faced with this most serious disease.

It’s just not F’ing funny.

BUT ----- DW brings up one thing that keeps me from going over the edge. Are YOU dandaimond suffering through cancer right now? Do YOU have it, and is that why you are making these jokes? Dandiamond, I’m asking you now, do you have cancer?
I don't have Cancer- But I know a lot of people who do!
I deliver Cancer Medication. I am sorry if I offended you
or anyone else. Humor is good therapy Keltin.
Please click on the Cancer Club Link.

I have 2 close friend in stage 4. Plus, I have become very close
to many of he people I deliver to. Many Kids, as well as adults.
I pray everyday for these people. I have seen many get well, and many die!
Keltin- I hope you check out the cancer club, and I am so sorry if I hurt you or anyone else. I am looking forward to hear from everyone else in our forum.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Master Chef

Keltin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiamond View Post
I don't have Cancer- But I know a lot of people who do!
I deliver Cancer Medication. I am sorry if I offended you
or anyone else. Humor is good therapy Keltin.
Please click on the Cancer Club Link.

I have 2 close friend in stage 4. Plus, I have become very close
to many of he people I deliver to. Many Kids, as well as adults.
I pray everyday for these people. I have seen many get well, and many die!
Keltin- I hope you check out the cancer club, and I am so sorry if I hurt you or anyone else. I am looking forward to hear from everyone else in our forum.
Best to you, and I hope all works out well for you.

I’ve lost too many to cancer. DW has had several breast cancer scares and every single checkup is nerve wracking and scary.

DW is very conscious on checking and gets regular checkups, and she pushes me hard to get the prostate checks and regular checkups. I’m not as good at going to the DR as she is.

I should get checked as often as she does, but that particular demon scares me. I’ve seen too often that, even knowing it’s there, there is NOTHING you can do. It’s not an easy subject for me.

It’s a nasty disease that little can be done about.

If it comes for me, I won’t joke about it. Instead, I plan to buck up and charge head long with torches in both hands as I run into the dark. Screw it. It may come, and it may win, but it won’t get the best I had. That’s what Dad taught me as he died, and that is how I want to go. Not joking, but embracing life and showing others that there IS much to love and accomplish before we go out!

Last edited by Keltin; 05-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Pizza Chef

GotGarlic is on a distinguished road

I hope this doesn't sound too cold, Keltin, but prostate cancer is not something to be greatly feared. It's a very slow-growing cancer, usually occurs in elderly men, and most men who have it die from something else. The PSA test results in a lot of false positives - two-thirds! - which then leads to anxiety and more invasive testing, which is usually then negative.

From http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handout...te_cancer.html

Quote:
The American Academy of Family Physicians and the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, feel that the high false-positive rate (66% of positive tests are wrong) and the subsequent inconvenience and cost of more confirmatory testing make the PSA a poor general screening test. They do not recommend routine screening. On the other hand, because early detection may save lives, the American Cancer Society and the American Urological Association feel annual testing should begin at age 50 for all men.
Note *may* save lives. Does PSA screening save lives? Jury is still out, massive studies show
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Food Sound Eng.

Warren Wm Whitehouse

My Story

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Saturday, May 9, 2009 7:20 PM, EDT

Warren woke up this morning reporting a slightly hungry feeling. Although he still felt dizzy and crampy in the intestinal area, he wanted to eat something by mouth. He chose to start the day with Ensure Plus. Later, he had a can of his formula through the tube. At lunchtime he chose a cup of Healthy Choice Chicken Noodle soup with a few whole-wheat soda crackers. At dinnertime he started his hearty tube meal with 1/4 cup of blended asparagus – a rather pleasant alternative cure for cancer. E-mail me if you are interested and I will send the info to you by e-mail. I’d be happy to pass it along!

Warren didn’t shower this morning. Together we determined that we should cut his showers down to every other day to conserve his energy and strength. I’ve observed also, that his skin is getting very dry all over. Since I’ve been helping Warren with his shower, I can’t help but notice that he uses an awful lot of bar deodorant soap (Zest), which can be very drying. I think we will switch to something milder for the body parts less prone to odor. Warren is in total agreement.

At 10:30am Warren’s brother, Bob, brought over a new remedy for gas and cramps that Bob feels has helped him during the past few days. It’s called Gasolve Relief by Native Remedies (www.nativeremedies.com). We believe it may be helping Warren, too. However, I will need to check it out with the chemo nurse when and if we continue Warren’s chemo treatments since herbs can be dangerous for chemo patients. The Gasolve is made from fennel seed, ginger root and burdock root. Do any of our nurse friends out there have an opinion about its suitability in Warren’s case? We put 20 drops in ¼ cup of water for Warren to drink up to three times per day.

Another thing that seems to be helping Warren immensely is the addition of ZMA to his regime. ZMA is a supplement containing Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B6 in balanced proportions. Warren has been just a bit low on Magnesium according to hospital tests. In fact, one of the IVs they gave him during his most recent hospital stay was a small bag of magnesium. We started the ZMA supplement yesterday as directed on the bottle and Warren had a “beautiful” bowel movement this afternoon. The word “beautiful” is his description – he was quite excited and encouraged by the event! Things may be looking up!

Oh, and me? I’m having a good evening. I just finished a large salad with lots of healthy vegies, and topped with blue cheese, sliced almonds and a balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil dressing with a few whole-wheat soda crackers on the side. I’ll finish with an apple and something fun like a “health food cookie” (oatmeal raisin).

With my dinner salad, I enjoyed a special gift from Caryn – a wonderful bottle of Raspberry Ale from the Founders Brewing Company. Founders quit making this particular beer when the price of raspberries went off the charts, so this was a very special bottle, indeed! I figured Mother’s Day Eve would be a nice time to enjoy Caryn’s gift since I will have the company of our son, Justin, and his fiancée, Kate, on Mother’s Day. Caryn, of course, needs to be at her home in Lansing with her chicks and their father, Tim.

As a special treat tomorrow, Warren and I get to meet Kate’s Mom for the first time. Oh, my gosh, I just realized I don’t know her by anything but “Kate’s Mom”. I’m sure I must have heard her name somewhere along the line but, if so, it’s in an irretrievable file somewhere in my brain. I guess we will clear that question up tomorrow. Kate is planning a “High Tea” here for us. I know it will be fun with Kate in control!

First thing Monday morning, I’m getting on the phone to begin answering all the questions posed in my journal entry from Thursday. If I have my way, with God’s help we shall overcome this cancer!

Read Journal

Guestbook

Guestbook signed 1 times today.

Read Guestbook

9456 VISITS FROM FAMILY AND FRIENDS

Make a Donation in tribute to Warren Wm to provide CaringBridge to all families who need it.

E-MAIL AUTHOR

arnettamae@twmi.rr.com

HOSPITAL INFORMATION

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Food Sound Eng.

Warren Wm Whitehouse

My Story

Read My Story

See All Photos

Journal

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:40 PM, EDT

It was cold in the house again this morning even though I kept the thermostat set at 70 degrees all through the night. By morning, I ended up throwing my covers off while Warren woke up freezing cold again. He didn’t want to drink a cold Ensure for breakfast for fear that it would cause another episode of extreme morning chills. Instead he requested hot French toast – 450 calories including the genuine 100% Maple Syrup – plus a small glass of V-8 Fusion (fruit and vegetable juice blend).

At noon, I checked Warren’s stomach for residual food. It was still pretty full from breakfast so I was afraid to feed him lunch. However, when I rechecked him at about 1pm, he was empty enough to feed again. I gave him two cans of his formula through the tube.

Warren requested DiGiorno’s Supreme pizza as his 5:00pm dinner. He ate the equivalent of two small pieces and loved it. For dessert he had some fruit with cream sauce left from yesterday’s tea. I also took an empty tray down to the freezer and pulled out some stuff to make a smorgasbord of dessert choices for him – his beloved “Health Food Cookie” (oatmeal raisin), a variety of Baklava (a gift from the next door neighbors), and finally, the last piece of Caryn’s famous cheesecake. Those food items took care of his lunchtime request for something “gooey and delicious” this evening. He just nibbled from a few of them and he is now VERY full and quite satisfied.

It’s exciting that Warren’s appetite is returning, but I worry that he won’t be able to eat enough regular food to get the calories and nutrients he needs to keep the cancer cachexia at bay. I’ll just have to trust that his body knows what it is doing, and let him have some fun with food. Lately, more than once Warren has chided me, “Arnetta, I know what I am doing”. Maybe this time he is right! His head seems pretty clear right now, while before he was suffering from narcotic overload and he really didn’t know what he was doing.

Speaking of his head working better, Warren wanted to go to his office and sit at the computer late this morning so, as is usual of late, I transported him there by wheel chair. While he was at the computer, I mentioned something I was looking for at the request of a client. Immediately thereafter, Warren became too nervous, tired and discouraged to continue his intended project and wanted to go back and lie down. I won’t make that mistake again. I will need to find all client stuff on my own, and do it sometime very soon.

After that first attempt at reconnecting with life, Warren came to the conclusion once again that his working days are over. Not one to give up easily though, he tried to go back to his office again around 4pm. Sadly, he burned out after printing out just one document and needed to return to the couch (by wheelchair) to rest again.

After Warren's second futile attempt to do work, there was more talk of total retirement. Truthfully, I really want BOTH of us to retire!

I’m encouraging Warren to give up trying to work, at least for now, because it stresses him too much. After what he has been through, it’s enough of a breakthrough for him to even be thinking about working.

Yet, like the famous Schmoo of M.A.S.H. fame, Warren keeps getting beaten down and popping up to try again. A third trip by wheelchair to the office netted him the third piece of the project puzzle. Now he’s too tired to work on the solution, but it’s all on the table in the sunroom for him to look at tomorrow.

Now it’s time for bed according to Warren and he wants me to be ready, too!

I’ve made some phone calls and done some research today regarding my quest for answers to the oncological questions. Hopefully, I will get some return calls tomorrow. Meanwhile, Warren enjoys his ½ cup of blended asparagus each day! It certainly can’t hurt!

Read Journal

Guestbook

Guestbook signed 1 times today.

Read Guestbook

9773 VISITS FROM FAMILY AND FRIENDS

E-MAIL AUTHOR

arnettamae@twmi.rr.com

HOSPITAL INFORMATION

Old 05-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Food Sound Eng.

I will just Post Arnetta and Warren's Journal.

See All Photos
Journal

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:05 PM, EDT

Warren wanted to weigh himself this morning. Since I had previously been tracking his weight mainly to convince the doctor that we needed to look at alternatives for feeding Warren, I let the daily weigh-in go. Once we had the feeding tube, I knew we had done all we could do – it would be what it would be – so we didn’t resume the morning weigh-in.

Still, I was curious, too, so I set the weights at 143 in hopes that Warren’s improved appetite and the tube feedings had brought us back up from the May 5th weight of 139. Then Warren stepped on the scale to reveal a very disappointing 134 or 135. He couldn’t stand long enough for me to get the bubble centered so I don't know the exact number. It's hard to imagine, though, what weight he must have gotten down to between May 5th and now!

On a positive note, Warren is still eating VERY well. He started the day with a healthy breakfast of two whole-wheat pancakes. I substituted Ensure for the water the mix called for and put fresh blueberries, strawberries, and sliced grapes in the batter, then topped the pancakes off with 100% pure maple syrup and served them with vanilla soymilk to drink. At lunchtime Warren had two cans of formula through the tube while he napped. For dinner, my good friend, Celeste, brought us Chinese again which we both enjoyed a lot! We each had a large egg roll and almond boneless chicken with fried rice. Warren ate his whole egg roll and everything else on his plate, too! It’s after 8pm and he just asked for an Ensure to finish the day.

I'm always afraid to get too hopeful anymore - it's such a long way to fall - but I have a very good feeling about today. Warren seems more like himself with each passing day. He is more willing to talk with me about plans and expectations for the future and that is a VERY good thing!

There was a time (most of April) when I felt very alone and lost in our marriage relationship; those were very difficult days. I feel the need to share those times with you someday. In my journal entries, I try to give people a true picture of what it is like to be the caretaker for an extremely ill spouse just in case, God forbid, one of my readers should have to face the task someday. If I had known what to expect as Warren's disease progressed, I feel that I would have been more prepared with my feelings of alienation.

I was going to try to journal something about my struggles with feelings of estrangement just before Warren was admitted to the hospital from the emergency room with severe confusion and an inability to communicate verbally. However, there wasn't time then nor has there been time since. It will have to wait for a future issue - or maybe the book version!

There is much more to be said about current issues today!

Warren spent some time off and on working today. It took him hours to do what he used to accomplish in less than an hour. I know it is still much too much for him and he gets very discouraged. As I told him, just being able to think about work is an accomplishment after what he has been through. I reminded him, too, that I'd still like to retire and so should he. He readily agreed that he doesn’t want to work. Instead, he just wants to relax and try to enjoy the rest of his days. That’s what I want, too, more than anything else in the world! I told him that we will get by!

This is Warren’s week off chemo between two series of seven weeks each. Based solely on how weak Warren is, Dr. Doyle doesn't think he should continue chemo, but I think Warren will be considerably stronger by the time we have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Doyle next Monday. If Dr. Doyle agrees that Warren is strong enough to recommend the chemo, we could schedule chemo on Tuesday (one week from today).

Alternatively, we could decide to pursue other avenues that I started to explore yesterday (between banking and multitudinous wheel chair runs).

Monday evening I talked to a very interesting Doctor who was very highly recommended by a friend from chorus. She uses Rife resonate frequency technology and reportedly has a very high success rate in cancer cures. She wants to meet with us next Sunday - her only open time. She requested that I obtain pathology and blood reports from Henry Ford prior to our meeting with her. I called Henry Ford today and they promised to fax the documents to the new doctor in time for our Sunday meeting with her. This alternative treatment requires us to purchase a $3500 to $4000 machine over the Internet. Look up www.truerife.com to get an idea of why I say it looks kind of like a Frankenstein machine. I will certainly be doing some research on the Internet between now and Sunday regarding this procedure. The new doctor told me she has begun the process of obtaining FDA approval for her procedure based on her high level of case study successes so I’m hoping to find some supportive material about the process.

I've also read about the CyberKnife - pinpoint accuracy radiology. It destroys only the cancer cells while leaving all surrounding healthy cells unharmed. There is a CyberKnife at St. Joseph Mercy Cancer Center in Ann Arbor that only recently became available – one of only 100 machines nation wide. I called St. Joseph Mercy this morning and left a message; the case coordinator called me back this afternoon. Sadly, Warren isn’t a candidate for the CyberKnife because his cancer spread to the pleura fluid and not just to the lung tissues. The CyberKnife needs a tumor mass to work on. This doctor echoed the sentiment of the nurse from Karmanos that Warren is already getting the proper treatment – weekly chemo with Gemzar and the nightly chemo pill, Tarceva.

I also received a book Saturday that I recently ordered called Tomorrow's Cancer Cures Today. It makes for interesting reading. I'm praying that God guides me to a miracle along one of these new avenues. Meanwhile, as always, asparagus doesn’t hurt and prayers are VERY helpful. Thanks so much for all of yours!

Last edited by dansdiamond; 05-14-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Food Sound Eng.

I appreciate the education I am getting from Arnetta. Her Faith, Her determination & her Love, gets her through each day. So many things that need to be taken care of, and God gives her that Strength, to accomplish all these added feats. thank You for writing this Journal ArnettaMae.

From Arnettas Journal from today!
See All Photos
Journal

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:34 PM, EDT

We didn’t weigh Warren this morning because this wasn’t a shower day, but he ate really well again today so I hope the scale will show some gain tomorrow.

Actually, Warren woke up before me today and dressed himself. Afterwards, he was very out of breath and tired but glad to have been able to do something on his own.

We have both been a bit tired today – I lay awake from 4am to 6pm with all kinds of things racing through my head, but figured it was too far into the night to take a sleep aid. I was glad to be able to get a couple hours before Warren’s stirrings woke me shortly after 8am.

Our attorney friend, Dale, came over today to talk to us about his Social Security findings. We are very lucky to have Dale’s expertise to help make informed decisions regarding Social Security and all the related insurance red tape!

Warren won’t be 65 until September 1; nonetheless, we have applied on line for his Social Security to begin immediately. It is my understanding that when Warren gets well (we are being positive, here) he can work out a deal to pay back the social security he has received before age 65 a little at a time while receiving the payments due to him at the higher age bracket once he has turned 65 (or more). We didn’t know you could do that!

Because of his terminal diagnoses, Warren is eligible for disability now at age 64. However, disability comes with automatic Medicare. The Medicare would terminate our more desirable Blue Cross Flexible Blue insurance policy which now covers both of us (with Warren as the primary) because Flexible Blue won’t automatically meld into Medicare as a supplemental insurance. Consequently, if Warren were to go on disability now, I would be left without our current insurance and Warren may suffer a break in coverage at this, a very bad time.

According to Dale, with our Flexible Blue we are only responsible for a maximum annual Hospital/doctor expense of $10,000 – it’s such a good plan for the consumer, in fact, that it’s no longer available from Blue Cross. Unfortunately, though, our Flexible Blue insurance does have horrible drug coverage – no help with meds after the first $2500 per year – a figure we reached long ago thanks to Tarceva. The next few months of Tarceva at $3300 each plus any and all other additional meds are totally on our tab now. In September, we should get some help from Medicare, so hopefully we’ll still come out ahead in the long run. For me drug cost is not a problem, at least not for now, but I don’t take anything for granted anymore! When we signed up for this Flexible Blue plan last spring, we had figured the cost of our prescriptions and the total came to far less than $2,500 per year – we never dreamed that in less than one year our total could jump to more than that every month!

Before we signed up for Flexible Blue, we had good drug coverage but we were paying close to $24,000 to Blue Cross per year in premiums for the just two of us. Maybe we shouldn’t have been so sure of our continued good health that we decided to save eighteen or nineteen thousand per year on health insurance – hindsight is always 20/20 and timing is everything!

At age 65 when Warren is automatically terminated by our Blue Cross Flexible Blue Plan we’ll have some choices to make for his supplemental coverage, and I will need to find a new policy to cover me. I’m glad our friend Dale will be there to help us make good decisions! God watches over us with the help of our friends!

Have a great night everyone, and thanks for checking in!