Dinner Thursday 8-26-10

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have some frozen basa that I'm going to take out of the freezer...fish something with something, something....

FooD

I'm doing 2 slabs of Buffalo (bison) back ribs......low and slow this evening. I've never had them before so I'm curious to see what they taste like.

K

Kimchee

Celebrating!
Grilling a couple of T bones, topping them with carmelized onions and wine butter sauteed mushrooms, with the classic sides of baked potato and a salad!

Celebrating what? Why, a brand new GE Profile $975 dishwasher for only $350 installed! And my wife's return to health after a bout with intestinal upsets.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm prepping for Saturday...so whatever leftovers that happen to be floating around in the fridge...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
sweet italian sausages and vegetables marinated in Wishbone italian dressing.

NCT dinner----2010-08-26 17-56-42.349.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Celebrating!
Grilling a couple of T bones, topping them with carmelized onions and wine butter sauteed mushrooms, with the classic sides of baked potato and a salad!

Celebrating what? Why, a brand new GE Profile $975 dishwasher for only $350 installed! And my wife's return to health after a bout with intestinal upsets.

How'd you swing that?

Your dinner looks great, Sass.

We're having vegetable beef soup and some jalapeno/cheese cornbread....needing some comfort food.

Phiddlechik

1st day back subbing at the high school, and I'm wore out!! It went well, but lots of stairs, traveling teacher. So, I didn't want to get too complicated. Pantry pretty slim right now, too. So had an all yellow/gold supper: chicken fried chicken strips (home made), chicken fried zucchini, ore ida fast food fries, and corn.
ha. oh yeah, honey mustard sauce. not even catsup. I refused to take a picture.

Blues Man

Let us know how these turn out. What did you pay per pound for bison back ribs?

I'm doing 2 slabs of Buffalo (bison) back ribs......low and slow this evening. I've never had them before so I'm curious to see what they taste like.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm making a soup. there's a granny smith apple in there, too that i may halve & snack on that thru toninte. hm. and my candy! i love my candy, replineshied that this afternoon, & dammit, they weren't selling these bulk jolly ranchers i usually get. grumble.

Leni

I call it clean out the refrigerator day. Any and all leftovers are either eaten or tossed out this evening.

FooD

Let us know how these turn out. What did you pay per pound for bison back ribs?

I thought they were somewhat pricey at $3.99/lb., more than double what I normally pay for beef back ribs.

I decided to do 3 slabs, one seasoned heavily with rub. The other two have S&P only.
They're still in the oven as I write this but here are a couple of pics I'm able to post so far:

Attachments

• P1050064.jpg
    P1050064.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 105
  • P1050078.jpg
    P1050078.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 104

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sass, I love those sausages - and your plate looks so colorful. Very nice dinner! And FooD, those ribs are looking darned good - bet you enjoyed them. I cooked some fish (basa) tonight, in a combo of butter and oil. Those slices on top? GARLIC. Oh yum - I browned it first, before I cooked the fish. Really yummy way to eat garlic.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 106

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Karen.
I put the sausages in a covered pan and let them steam in a little water first, then removed the lid and added some oil and split the tops with a knife as they browned.
That fish looks so good. I love garlic added to fish and all seafood.
Pretty presentation on your green plate!

Thanks LF and Cooksie!

buckytom

Grill Master
i made a frutti di mare tonight, served with pasta and sesame crusted italian bread.

i think this is becoming my go to 30 minute meal.

quickly brown a diced sweet onion, then add several minced cloves of garlic to toast for just a minute. deglaze pan with some clam juice or anchovy paste and a little wine or water. add torn fresh basil and chopped fresh parsley, s&p, and a can of cento san marzano tomatoes, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently as it thickens.

add fish (i used 2 swai filets because they firm up and won't fall apart), cleaned shrimp, and clams or mussels (i used mahogany clams this time - a variety of little necks).

stir the fish and shellfish into the sauce, cover, and let simmer for a few minutes until the fish and shrimp are opaque, and the clams are open.

stir again and hit it with some chopped fresh basil, and there you go. serve it with a light pasta like angel hair, or for a dramatic look use squid ink spaghetti or thin linguini.
foodpics007.jpg

foodpics001.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That looks fab Tom! Wish I lived where such exotic fishes and such were readily available in which to make a dish like yours.
Good gawd I could scoop some of that out and do the dippy bread thing right now.
I haven't experienced really good NE seafood since I last visited a friend in RI.
*sigh*

buckytom

Grill Master
c'mon out east, sass. i'll cook you up a storm. new england lobster boil, manhattan clam chowder, littlenecks persillade, and zuppa di pesce/frutti di mare are my specialties, as well as some asian fishy dishy.

i could eat shellfish every week. i was surprised at how good the clams were. out of 48 in the mesh bag (for $6), only 2 were already dead, and 2 didn't open.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
c'mon out east, sass. i'll cook you up a storm. new england lobster boil, manhattan clam chowder, littlenecks persillade, and zuppa di pesce/frutti di mare are my specialties, as well as some asian fishy dishy.

i could eat shellfish every week. i was surprised at how good the clams were. out of 48 in the mesh bag (for $6), only 2 were already dead, and 2 didn't open.
I'd love to.
Just consider yourself fortunate to live where you do.
Did the back yard lobster boil and loved it.
Was also taken to some popular chowdah house around Warwick which was the bomb, and that place where they have the talking moose above the bar. :lol:

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
a talking moose? did he finally off that pesky squirrel? lol.

the last moosehead i saw over a bar was in a little biker joint on west 14th street in the city -called hogs and heifers.
female guests are encouraged to take off their bras and fling them up on the moose while dancing on the bar.
except for the bra part, lol, it was the inspiration for and the location of the movie "coyote ugly".

anywho, 10 more hours and we're off to vermont!!! i can't wait for some good cheddar, and creamy n.e. clam chowdah, and alpine slides, and heated pools...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
a talking moose? did he finally off that pesky squirrel? lol.

the last moosehead i saw over a bar was in a little biker joint on west 14th street in the city -called hogs and heifers.

It was Bugaboo Creek, Tom.
I snipped the rest of your post because it had owt to do with my post.:yum:

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, that's ok. i can't imagine anyone getting upset at the fine american tradition of drunken moosehead lingerie abuse, though.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Everyones food looks and sounds YUMMY!!

I have been feeling yucky (Stomach feeling bad :sad:). So we had oatmeal for dinner. Quick, easy and mild for the tummy.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Peeps! Hope you are feeling better today! I missed seeing one of your beautiful creations...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Oh Peeps! Hope you are feeling better today! I missed seeing one of your beautiful creations...
Thank you Karen. Dentist today so I may just pick a pizza up from Pizza Hut for family and have soup for me.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:ohmy: If I could get my hands on some clams, I would have some of this tonight. I could eat shellfish twice a week...or more. Looks terrific to this seafood lover :).

Nice ribs and fish too, FooD and MK. FooD's pics always make me want to break out the bbq pit.