Yesterday's Smoke-A-Thon

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It was such a nice day yesterday, that QBro and I smoked a bunch of relatively quick-cooking cuts of meat for dinners and lunches this week.

- A whole turkey, injected with Cajun Creole's "Hot and Spicy" injection, and stuffed with lemons, rosemary and capers. Rub was mild, much like seasoned salt.

- A store-bought corned beef point, that had been soaked in water for several hours, changing the water every half hour. Rub was the season packet in with the corned beef and peppercorns, ground up in a spice grinder

- A Top Round of Beef, with garlic cloves inserted into the meat and a homemade BBQ rub (Adam Perry Lang's recipe)

- A kielbasa

- A few ABT's

- A short experiment with a split Japanese eggplant that was oiled and sprinkled with Adobo seasoning (very good!)

Lee

Attachments

• Smoked, injected whole turkey.JPG
    Smoked, injected whole turkey.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Top round beef, smoked 1.jpg
    Top round beef, smoked 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Top round beef, smoked 2.JPG
    Top round beef, smoked 2.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Smoked kieibasa.JPG
    Smoked kieibasa.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 169
  • ABT's and eggplant.JPG
    ABT's and eggplant.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Nibbles for neighbors.JPG
    Nibbles for neighbors.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Pastrami, sliced.JPG
    Pastrami, sliced.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Smoked Top Round beef, sliced.JPG
    Smoked Top Round beef, sliced.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 167

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Beautiful Q, QSis! I love smoked turkey sandwiches. I had my first moink ball yesterday and am now officially hooked. Next on the list to try are ABT's. Yours look perfectly wrapped.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the kudos, everyone!

Cooksie, my mother, who has Alzheimer's and is in assisted living, was over yesterday. She made the ABT's, with my direction. Yep, she did a wonderful job!

Here's a picture of Mom, de-leafing basil stems. She always loved to cook and was a terrific cook, so I always try to have something for her to prep when I bring her over to my house on Sundays.

Lee

Attachments

• Mom with basil 2, July 2010.JPG
    Mom with basil 2, July 2010.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 166

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful pics Lee.. love the sausage and abt's!
Your Mother's picture melted my heart.. so sweet :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good eats QSis. What type of smoker do you have?

Awww, you guys are so great!

I have two WSM's, Blues. Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smokers.

Lee

Attachments

• After Lowell win, 9 -03  2 as Smart Object-1 copy.jpg
    After Lowell win, 9 -03 2 as Smart Object-1 copy.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 165

buckytom

Grill Master
wow. beautiful pics, qsis!!

that's very sweet of you to be so thoughtful of your mom. many people wouldn't think that their parent's still want to be needed, and be helpful. you're a good daughter.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Nice pics, Lee. Let me add my kudos for the tender and respectful way you treat your mother. She took care of you for many years, and you are kind enough to remember that. She is fortunate to have you for a daughter.

GrillinFool

So much to talk about. Love hearing that your mom was able to help out. That was probably very dear to her.

And I'm jealous of the fact that it was so beautiful outside. It's been above 95 degrees for about 2 weeks now and no lower than 90 over the last month....

Oh, did I mention the food looks friggin awesome!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ummmm, great pics QSis!!!!!! The food looks so good. Thanks for sharing and for bringing your mom into the fray. Awesome!!!!!! :tiphat: :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lethal, ABT stands for "Atomic Buffalo Turd".

I slice jalapenos in half, lengthwise, then spread cream cheese in the jalapeno halves. Top each half with a halved mini hot dog (or any kind of meat you want), wrap the whole thing in bacon and smoke, grill or bake in the oven until the bacon is cooked.

Those of us who have smokers and/or cook over charcoal think that our way is the best way of cooking these things! :wink:

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, I'll have to try that.
I was in the dark as to what the heck ABT's were up until last year when the kind folks here edumacated me. :D One of the reasons / justification for my smoker. :D

That reminds me, now that the boats are put away, i have time to make some ABT's!!!!! :thumb: :D