SOUP UP!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
WHo has the BEST CHICKEN BASED soup???

(Do I have this in the correct forum?)

I bought a lot of chicken on sale. Bone-in... boneless... thighs... quarters.

So tell me.... what is YOUR best chicken soup???? :chef:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
gotta begin w/ the chix, whack it to pcs.- put chopped carrot, celery, onion, & a sachet (sage, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns, etc.-in cheesecloth) into a stockpot. cook/skim fer 4-ish hrs. smush plenty of garlic to toss in. avoid salting it yet as reduction'll affect that.
ladle the stock into a cheesecloth-lined chinois, discard 'dem veggies & fridge the chix. u can use a lined sieve, too.
fridge it. get rid of the fat. cool, then shred that chix from the stock. prep fresh veggies. dice them.
place in stock, simmer.
cook noodles in a seperate pot in salted h2o. (i like wide egg noodles).
season broth, from pepper to chix base, until it's perfection.
put noodles into bowl after draining 'em. ladle soup over. stir & dine!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How about a chicken stew with drop dumplings? netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17838

chicken-and-drop-dumplings.jpg

Last edited:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Personally, I leave the bird whole season it well with salt and pepper, and put aside.

in a medium stock pot; mirepoix, garlic, bay leaf, whole pepper corn, and bouquet garni with thyme, rosemary, a bit of sage and parsley.

Brown the garlic and mirepoix slightly, add the bird and let it get some color on its parts that touch the pan, don't monkey with it too much. De-glaze the pan with some white wine(cook with what you would drink), and cover the bird with just enough water to cover. Bring to a rolling boil, put a lid on it, kill ALL heat, and let it sit for 1 hour.

What this leaves you with is a wonderfully moist, not overcooked chicken to pull, a nice, aromatic stock of which to then base soups/sauces off off. Pull the chicken, and either add it back into the mix, and thicken with some slurry/roux, and cook it down by a third.

Also, if you were to take this same process, but instead of the bouquet garni, use 2 star anise, a chili pepper, cinnamon stick, clove, kafir lime leaf, and do carrots, onion, bell pepper, garlic and ginger, rough chopped lemon grass, and a bit of soy, a splash of mirin, you end up with a wonderful Asian style poached, almost Shanghai style Chicken, for chicken and rice. Cook the rice in the flavorful stock that is left over from doing the bird.