Roasting Hatch Chili's

Ross in Ventura

ae39c8d3.jpg

12f63440.jpg

Every Aug. they harvest Hatch Chili's and this time of the month they have them at Albertson Market here in Ventura. Today I picked up 4-lbs. of them to roast and freeze them so I have them for the rest of the year.
2211d5e4.jpg

49e90b21.jpg

On the BGE @ 350* to roast
e2c6c8d0.jpg

Put them in a ziplock bag for 45 min- 60 min then skin and devain and seed them
23b694e1.jpg

Ready to vacumn seal and freeze

Thanks for looking

Ross

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've heard about these, Ross.

What makes them so special?

Are they hot or mild?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What does the ziplock bag step do, Ross?

Residual heat from the cook in a sealed bag (could be paper) causes steam which helps the skin loosen and makes the skin peel more easily. Makes them so much easier to peel.

Beautiful Ross. Is there nothing that Green Egg can’t do? Don’t answer……I know…..it can do it all, and I want one!!!! :clap:

Ross in Ventura

Residual heat from the cook in a sealed bag (could be paper) causes steam which helps the skin loosen and makes the skin peel more easily. Makes them so much easier to peel.

Beautiful Ross. Is there nothing that Green Egg can’t do? Don’t answer……I know…..it can do it all, and I want one!!!! :clap:

Thanks for stepping up Keltin you nailed it

Ross

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I get a half bushel of Hatch shipped to me from Denver most years. IMO they are the best available. Grown in sandy soil in dry, hot climates, they have a unique flavor. About average heat for hot peppers.

In Denver, they are sold on street corners either fresh or roasted in barrel type mesh roasters over open flames. The peppers you get in the south are grown in climates much too warm and damp for good peppers.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Average heat? Like jalapenos? They are about as hot as I can stand.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'd like to try some, and take my chances! :)

Lee

Nancy-MD

Oh that leaves me out then. Jalapenos are way too hot for me!

Ross, I always enjoy seeing your pictures!

Phiddlechik

Some are quite mild. They are sold on the street corners here, too. Actually, the parking lot at a bowling alley... with roasters. So when you get home, you just take the skin off and freeze them.
Someone gave some powder to me, it was fab. Just dry them (dehydrator) and grind them into powder.

Johnny West

I didn’t realize there was thread on this.

this week I am making a chili and will add one of our frozen chili cubes.