Cauliflower rice/couscous

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
This is really more of a technique than a recipe. We had bought a head of cauliflower but only needed a small part of it and I needed something to go with dinner so I googled and came up with the following that used what we had in the house. This can be adapted to use whatever other vegetables and spices that would fit your flavor profile. This was the first time I had ever used cauliflower this way and we really liked it, better even than real couscous. Craig thought it was couscous at first.

Head of cauliflower, broken down into florets
1/2 of a large red bell pepper, 1/4 inch dice
1/3 of a large green zucchini, 1/4 inch dice
2 large scallions, thinly sliced
1/8 cup dried currants, plumped in hot water
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ras el hanout
Salt and pepper
Vegetable or chicken broth or water
Olive oil

For couscous, place florets into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.

For rice, grate on a box grater, or try using the grating blade on a food processor (I'm guessing on this as haven't tried it yet).

Using a skillet large enough to easily hold everything, heat over medium to just under medium heat, drizzle in some olive oil, then sautee the red bell (harder veges) until just starting to soften, then stir in zucchini (softer veges) and cook for a minute or so. Stir in the spices and sautee for a minute or so until they start to bloom. Add the cauliflower, salt and pepper to taste, and sautee for a couple of minutes. At this point, it looked really dry to me so I added about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water and another good drizzle of olive oil. Stir. Cook cauliflower for a total of 5-9 minutes, shorter times for finer grates, longer for coarse. Stir in the scallions and drained currants during the last minute or 2 of cooking.