Not able to grow herbs?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I'm sad that my windowsill herbs, which gets plenty of sun, are dying. Some are getting white specks, which I am treating with a fungus spray, but my chives and another herb never even sprouted.

Think I should wait until spring, or give it up totally?

I even had to BUY pesto last week; how lame is that !!!

Ian M.

Hi there - I never had much luck trying to grow herbs in off seasons utilizing natural light through a windowpane like you did. I don't know what the white specks might be - some type of fungus, probably. But what I found that worked beautifully was getting a "grow light" from the local hardware store and setting up my own mini-herb garden beneath it.
There's something about the grow light that made all the difference. Nobody died and everything came up as anticipated and flourished for quite a while with that light bulb. If you can find one with a canopy type of cover over it - so much the better and then put your herbs in small-sized plant pots right beneath it. Works wonderfully. I was even able to root and grow some tiny grape tomatoes under there. Wishing you luck.

Ian :bounce::bounce:

Ian M.

Don't go by me because I may well have done it wrong but I left mine on 24/7 until everything sprouted and then just during most of the day and turned it off in the evening. It might not hurt to go by the directions that come with an individual grow light, though. Guess I'm just a typical "guy" who tries never to use "de structions". You might find what you'd need at a nursery, as well.

Ian :bonk:

Leni

Since I can't see what you are talking about I would take a sample and put it into a ziploc then take it to the local nursery.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
yeah, they just told me to buy a fungus spray, which I did, but the herbs died anyway and new ones are not coming up.

i'm sad.

Leni

What herbs were you trying to grow and in how big a pot? Also what kind of pot? How often were you watering them?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
It is 2 long windowsill pots, purchased at the nearby nursery with the seeds: basil, dill, cilantro, chives, parsley, and mint.

DH was watering them when the soil got dry, at least once a week.

Leni

All of those require fairly large pots, especially basil, dill, and mint. Basil should be in a six inch pot. Dill will grow up to six feet tall. Mint will take over your entire yard so it has to be confined. Mine is in a twelve inch pot outside. Cilantro can make it in a four inch pot but will do better in a six inch one. Same for parsley. My parsley re-seeded itself last year. It grew to eighteen inches high and the same across.

It sounds like you had too much plant for the available soil. You probably needed to water a little more often. The soil should not dry completely out, maybe halfway down and that's it. A plastic pot will need less frequent watering than terra cotta.

Fungus thrives where there is little air circulation. Based on your experience I would empty the pots, wash them with a weak solution of bleach to sterilze them and put in fresh potting soil.

I wouldn't be discouraged though. You will need to treat the larger plants as if they were bonsai. Keep them trimed both leaves and roots and they will be okay. Once in a while you will need to pull the plant out of the pot and see if it is root bound. If so you have two choices, trim the roots back with a sharp knife or repot in a larger pot. All of these need as much direct sun as you can give them.

I know that it sounds like a lot of work but once you've got them going it will be a lot easier.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited:

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
The nursery said that 3 for that size pot was fine, but maybe I will try growing less and see how it goes. Thanks for helping me!

Leni

It's fine until they start growing. I don't use seeds to start my herbs or most of my other plants. I buy plants that are in four inch pots. They already have a good start and I don't have to worry about keeping seeds moist.