Do you make cornbread?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I really don't think we need to dredge this up again......do we? Why don't we just enjoy some Scottish Fried Chicken.....:flowers:

friedchickenrecipe.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Soul Food and Southern Cooking is the same to me.
It always will be.
My Grandmother was a great southern (Indiana) cook, much like Mama.

My good friends Lawrence and Milly are from the deep south and are experts on soul food cookery.

It's very different from the Yankee way of cooking and enjoying meals, innit?

I may be living in Ohio, but my roots are in the south.

I was born in Hawaii, but spent years in Terre Haute Indiana, not to mention Mississippi and all other points SOUTH, being a Navy brat who has had a life experincing just about every sort of cuisine and lifestyle anyone could imagine.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm NEVER out of cornbread Andy...would you like some?

P3140550-2.jpg

Last edited:

leolady

She's right in that all southern cooking is not "soul food" but all "soul food" is southern cooking. Southern cooking includes a wide variety of cuisines depending upon the region of the south.

Yep! This is true.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
The few times I've made it I used bacon grease in my pan. My son-in-law taught me that. I also use my CI pan.

Geez where have I been? I've never had cornbread made out of a CI or with bacon grease! Seems to me mom used to make it with Crisco but I've never found a recipe yet that uses that. My trouble is when making cornbread is that it's dry and doesn't have much flavor... :huh:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Geez where have I been? I've never had cornbread made out of a CI or with bacon grease! Seems to me mom used to make it with Crisco but I've never found a recipe yet that uses that. My trouble is when making cornbread is that it's dry and doesn't have much flavor... :huh:

That's why you use bacon grease...for the flavor. If it's dry, maybe it's you're recipe. The CI gives it crunchy outside and then you slather butter all over it and for a real treat...some honey too!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
That's why you use bacon grease...for the flavor. If it's dry, maybe it's you're recipe. The CI gives it crunchy outside and then you slather butter all over it and for a real treat...some honey too!

So what's your recipe for a good batch of cornbreat Mama? :biggrin:

leolady

Cornbread is generally not dry if you use two large eggs and enough milk in it, and of course the bacon grease. My motto is: if in doubt, add another egg!

I don't like cornbread in CI much because I like cakey cornbread. I don't like the crisp crust.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've only been using 1 egg, so I'm glad I started this thread. I'll definitely be using 2 eggs from now on!