Orange Stir Fry Shrimp Dinner

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember where I got the orginial recipe for this but have made it a number of times and love it.

Orange Stir-Fried Shrimp

----Marinade----
1 garlic clove; minced
2 tsp. grated orange rind
1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes
1 tsp. soy sauce (dark)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 lb. shrimp; shelled, deveined

----Sauce----
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. honey; or sugar
3 tsp. cornstarch (mixed in 3 tsp. cold water)
1 tsp. sesame oil

----Stir Fry----
1 Tbsp. oil (I use nothing but peanut oil though others might not)
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger; finely chopped
2 garlic clove; minced
1/2 lb. grean beans; sliced
1 1/2 cups mushrooms; sliced
1 red pepper; cut in strips
3 scallions; OR green onions, sliced diagonaly

Prepare marinade in a large bowl, blend all ingredients. Add shrimp, cover and refrigerate at least one hour.

To make sauce, in a small bowl, mix ingredients until smooth and set aside.

To stir fry: Heat wok or large frying pan until hot. Add oil, ginger and garlic and stir-fry 20 seconds. Add green
beans, stir fry 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and red pepper and stir fry 3 minutes more. Add shrimp and marinade;
stir-fry 4 minutes or just until shrimp turns pink. Stir sauce. Add scallions; stir into shrimp until mixture is coated
and sauce thickens.

Serves 4.

Orange Rice - Light

1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil (canola works ok but again I prefer peanut oil)
1 tsp. orange rind
1 cup long grain rice
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup water

Heat oil in saucepan. Add orange rind and rice. Saute 2 minutes or until rice turns milky white. Add salt and water. Heat to boiling, stir to mix and cover. Over medium heat, cook rice 25 minutes or until liquid is aqbsorbed. Remove pan from heat. Let stand covered 10 minues before serving.

Serves 4

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It takes some prep work but when done this is a really great dinner. Give it a try you will love it. I wished I knew who gave me the original recipe I've had this one for about 10 years now.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Yea, I saw that, I would have to start this in the afternoon to have it ready by dinner! It sounds like it would be tasty, zesty, and with a little bit of heat, just the way I like it!

This sounds really nice. Orange is one of my all-time favorite flavors. I dont have any shrimp, but I am thinking I may make this with chicken, I think that would be good, too. Thanks for the Idea.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The rice is good by itself also, I've made it with pork chops before.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great!! I don't have peanut oil just canola oil and EVOO, I think I would use the EVOO in this case.
Thanks for posting it!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think the canola would work better. EVOO is good but low smoke point for stir fry an leaves a strong taste on some things though good it doesn't fit with Asian foods. Canola really doesn't leave a taste, has high smoke point. Peanut oil leaves a taste but it is the perfect taste for Asian stir fry dishes. Vegetable oil would probably work too.

Calicolady

I like this recipe, joec. There are not too many shrimp recipes I don't like! LOL!
And believe it or not, I like doing the prep too.
I'm keeping this one.
Thanks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just wished I knew the woman that gave it too me so I could give her credit for it. Like I've said this and the coconut shrimps are my two favorite ways to make it though most of the time I simply grill them unless I get the really large ones. I'm not a fan of rice most of the time but this rice dish is also excellent. But then I'm with you on shrimp dishes, can't remember one I didn't like as long as the shrimp are fresh.