Pretzels

Cuisinette

750 gr. = 1lb 10 oz flour
3 teaspoons yeast
75 gr. = ¾ stick butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cup warm water (more or less)

Sesame seeds, poppy seeds or salt for toppings.

2 quarts water
1 tablespoon baking soda

Line a pan with a silicone mat if you have, if not use parchment paper that has been buttered or oiled. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 F.

Start making a soft dough but not sticky to the hands. Knead for about 5-10 minutes.
Divide dough in 18 equal pieces. Take one piece and with your finger poke a whole in the middle of the dough, just like you would form a doughnut but the whole would be much larger, about 3 inch diameter.
Continue making all the rings.

Take a large pan and add 2 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon baking soda. Bring to a boil.
Drop 3-4 rings in the water at a time. (I only did 3 at a time because my baking pan only fit 6 rings in it).
By the time you add the last ring in the water (3-5 seconds), flip the rings on the other side for the same time (3-5 seconds).

Remove the rings with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared baking pan.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or salt.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Note:
When I make dough in general I add the water the last, because in this way I control the texture of the dough. Many times in a recipe the water is too little or too much.
Do not boil more pretzels than you can bake.

100_4304.jpg

100_4320.jpg

100_4324.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, those look SO beautiful, Cuisinette. I have been wanting to make pretzels for such a long time - thanks for posting this.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have seen recipes with a one hour rise after mixing, and others, like yours, where you make the dough then immediately shape the pretzels. Any thoughts on the first rise vs no rise?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks! I have a batch going right now. They looked too good to ignore.

Cuisinette

Oh, those look SO beautiful, Cuisinette. I have been wanting to make pretzels for such a long time - thanks for posting this.

Welcome Karen, I love playing with dough :) these were very easy to make and out of 12 I made last night, only 3 pretzels left.

I'll have one for breakfast :)

Soon I will make another recipe, sweet kind.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Those look beautiful! I'll be so glad when I get done losing weight. I am so going to try these.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Magnificent!!!

Thanks for posting it, Cuisinette!!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Those look beautiful! I'll be so glad when I get done losing weight. I am so going to try these.
My condolences on your diet. I'll pick up the slack for you!:laugh:

Here are my pretzels. I failed to spray my parchment paper, so I had to cut the bottom off the pretzels, but they taste just fine.

P1030594.jpg

P1030595.jpg

P1030596.jpg

P1030597.jpg

Guts

Cuisinette thank you for the recipe. I have it save to my folder and plan on trying these real soon.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yes, they got a bath in baking soda water. Next time I'll spray the parchment paper and sprinkle fine corn meal so they release easier. I have 6 pretzels in the freezer, and the rest in a bag for DW when she gets home.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Cuisi!!!! Those look great (both yours and Joe's) :clap: :clap: :clap: