My first bread.

Derek

Banned
I think my first bread came out freaking awesome.

477783189_UoJW4-S.jpg

This bread is my first bread I've ever baked and it's the second attemp at baking this bread.

The first time I've tried to make this bread was yesterday and the recipe didn't tell you, You had to wait for the yeast to wake up or activate.

Well now I know how to make it :)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Congratulations! You made a perfectly lovely loaf, well shaped and nicely colored. The process of activating the yeast is called proofing or blooming. You can be very, very proud of yourself, indeed. But I warn you, baking can be very addictive. lol

Derek

Banned
oh that's beautiful!
What type is it?
It's the basic white bread.

I think it looks great FMD!!! Looks like you did a really good job there!
Thanks althought my mom had to tell me about letting the bread yeast activate in the water.

By the way I've made sure that the tap water was very hot, I still have a mess to clean up though LOL.

Derek

Banned
Congratulations! You made a perfectly lovely loaf, well shaped and nicely colored. The process of activating the yeast is called proofing or blooming. You can be very, very proud of yourself, indeed. But I warn you, baking can be very addictive. lol
I'm finding out that cooking is VERY VERY addictive LOL.

and thank you.

By the way later this evening I will be making flour tortilla's I've already purchased the mesa flour and a tortilla pres!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Nice freaking bread, Fat Man! Like Susan said, it can become addictive in a hurry. I've been baking for about 5 hours this morning, and cranked out two loaves of Italian, a batch of Hot Cross Buns and a round loaf of Easter Bread (pics coming later). Plus, I made two dozen wings for appetizers at our table for a pot luck we're going to, and I still have to make Calico Beans for the dinner as well.

Keep it up, dude. The more you make the better you get at it. If you got any questions, just feel free to ask me. I've screwed up lots of bread recipes to get where I'm at, so maybe I can save you from making some of the same ones.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Suddenly I want a big fat sandwich on freaking awesome bread!
LOL

The bread looks lovely Derek. :)

Derek

Banned
Nice freaking bread, Fat Man! Like Susan said, it can become addictive in a hurry. I've been baking for about 5 hours this morning, and cranked out two loaves of Italian, a batch of Hot Cross Buns and a round loaf of Easter Bread (pics coming later). Plus, I made two dozen wings for appetizers at our table for a pot luck we're going to, and I still have to make Calico Beans for the dinner as well.

Keep it up, dude. The more you make the better you get at it. If you got any questions, just feel free to ask me. I've screwed up lots of bread recipes to get where I'm at, so maybe I can save you from making some of the same ones.
Thank you Joe, By the way those Calico beans look very scrumptius.

Ok my bread taste better then wonder bread but it's a little too sweat for my taste.

it called for 1-1/2 tsp so if I cut back to a pinch of suger then it shouldn't be too sweet?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thank you Joe, By the way those Calico beans look very scrumptius.

Ok my bread taste better then wonder bread but it's a little too sweat for my taste.

it called for 1-1/2 tsp so if I cut back to a pinch of suger then it shouldn't be too sweet?

Post all of your ingredients so I can have look-see. I make a white bread that uses 3 T of sugar. The yeast eats it up and gives a nice carmelization to the crust. (the shine is butter I piut on top to soften the crust).

P1000356.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Joe is right. It is hard to tell without seeing the recipe that you used. I have a scale but only use it for recipes that are already set up by weight. Joe has taken the time to convert recipes. It ensures that he gets pretty much the same results each time (save for changes in humidity and flours). Why not give his recipe a go?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ok will do, By the way I got my recipe from this site.

And here's the ingredients.
477810943_gH564-S.jpg

http://breadbaking.about.com/od/yeastbreads/r/1loafbread.htm

Ok, I'm back after going to church then a potluck dinner. The recipe is very basic and really needs no alteration. You said you used 1-1/2 tsp of sugar, but the recipe calls for 3 Tbs of sugar. Was this just a typo on your part? 3 Tbs is normal for this recipe. If you want to cut it back in half, that would be 4-1/2 teaspoons of sugar, which is the same thing as 1-1/2 Tbs of sugar. Give that a try and see if you like it any better.

Derek

Banned
Ok, I'm back after going to church then a potluck dinner. The recipe is very basic and really needs no alteration. You said you used 1-1/2 tsp of sugar, but the recipe calls for 3 Tbs of sugar. Was this just a typo on your part? 3 Tbs is normal for this recipe. If you want to cut it back in half, that would be 4-1/2 teaspoons of sugar, which is the same thing as 1-1/2 Tbs of sugar. Give that a try and see if you like it any better.
It could have been, I'm still learning what tsp and tbsp means.

Anyways it turned out freaking AWESOME.

Hi. I think your bread looks wonderful!! And you are already well on your way now. Baking bread is not nearly as intimidating as it is made out to be. All you really have to have is flour, yeast, salt and water .... after that everything else is optional, not that some of them arent nice options, but optional still. The sugar, optional. The shortening, optional. And about the only thing you truly cant recover from are not activating the yeast, or over heating and killing the yeast.

And contrary to what many will tell you, I am going to tell you to NOT go by the recipes, at least not all that much. Use different liquids... water, milk, juices. Different amounts of sugar, as you have already (accidentally) begun to do. Sometimes add an egg, or a bit of mashed white potato, or use half of a different flour. Use fruits, herbs and spices. Just start from where you are and go wherever your imagination and a bit of judgment lead you. You are on an exciting journey. And congratulations on your first and very nice effort.

Calicolady

Derek and Joe, pics look great. Thanks.

Derek, congrats on your 1st loaf.

Bye the way, joe, this Calico don't like BEANS! But maybe that will be my next user name. LOL!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
And contrary to what many will tell you, I am going to tell you to NOT go by the recipes, at least not all that much. Use different liquids... water, milk, juices. Different amounts of sugar, as you have already (accidentally) begun to do. Sometimes add an egg, or a bit of mashed white potato, or use half of a different flour. Use fruits, herbs and spices. Just start from where you are and go wherever your imagination and a bit of judgment lead you. You are on an exciting journey. And congratulations on your first and very nice effort.

I agree that it's fun to experiment by adding things to the basic bread recipe, but you really need to understand what the outcome will be when doing so, lest the new baker become frustrated. Just adding things to the recipe, like an egg, will change the hydration (liquid content) of the dough by 2 oz. When you understand this, you'll know to reduce some other liquid by 2 oz., or you could end up with a very wet dough that you'll need to add more flour to in order to be able to knead it. You really need to approach experimentation armed with a bit of knowledge beforehand.

Baking needs to be more exacting than cooking to produce consistent results. This is why professional bakers and many hobby bakers use scales to weigh their ingredients, and often stay within certain percentages or ratios with their ingredients, based on the style of bread (stiff, standard, rustic) they are baking. None of this is difficult to learn, with all the information being online and in easily obtainable books, but when you learn these basic rules, it often takes the hobby baker to the next level, and makes the baking experience even more enjoyable. I have been doing this for about a year, and I continue to have "epiphanies" on a regular basis as I learn more about bread baking.

There are several good bread books available online, but I often recommend (because I own it) The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart as an excellent source to get started with. You can get it at Amazon.com for $23.10 + shipping, and you will be amazed at how much information (including recipes) is in this one volume. There are others as well, and maybe Pie Susan or someone else can give a plug for some of the better ones from their libraries.

Derek

Banned
Hi. I think your bread looks wonderful!! And you are already well on your way now. Baking bread is not nearly as intimidating as it is made out to be. All you really have to have is flour, yeast, salt and water .... after that everything else is optional, not that some of them arent nice options, but optional still. The sugar, optional. The shortening, optional. And about the only thing you truly cant recover from are not activating the yeast, or over heating and killing the yeast.

Derek and Joe, pics look great. Thanks.

Derek, congrats on your 1st loaf.

Bye the way, joe, this Calico don't like BEANS! But maybe that will be my next user name. LOL!

I agree that it's fun to experiment by adding things to the basic bread recipe, but you really need to understand what the outcome will be when doing so, lest the new baker become frustrated. Just adding things to the recipe, like an egg, will change the hydration (liquid content) of the dough by 2 oz. When you understand this, you'll know to reduce some other liquid by 2 oz., or you could end up with a very wet dough that you'll need to add more flour to in order to be able to knead it. You really need to approach experimentation armed with a bit of knowledge beforehand.

Baking needs to be more exacting than cooking to produce consistent results. This is why professional bakers and many hobby bakers use scales to weigh their ingredients, and often stay within certain percentages or ratios with their ingredients, based on the style of bread (stiff, standard, rustic) they are baking. None of this is difficult to learn, with all the information being online and in easily obtainable books, but when you learn these basic rules, it often takes the hobby baker to the next level, and makes the baking experience even more enjoyable. I have been doing this for about a year, and I continue to have "epiphanies" on a regular basis as I learn more about bread baking.

There are several good bread books available online, but I often recommend (because I own it) The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart as an excellent source to get started with. You can get it at Amazon.com for $23.10 + shipping, and you will be amazed at how much information (including recipes) is in this one volume. There are others as well, and maybe Pie Susan or someone else can give a plug for some of the better ones from their libraries.
Oh yeah I'm defently going to be adding new ingredients like Habanero saucer to the dough to make it have a little bite.

Oh yeah I'm defently going to be adding new ingredients like Habanero saucer to the dough to make it have a little bite. ___

Now that is one I never even thought of, but hey, why not ?? Do it and let us know what you think !!

Derek

Banned
Oh yeah I'm defently going to be adding new ingredients like Habanero saucer to the dough to make it have a little bite. ___

Now that is one I never even thought of, but hey, why not ?? Do it and let us know what you think !!
I meant sauce, not saucer LOL.

Derek

Banned
:) lol I would think the saucer shards would slice and dice your mouth, and the aliens wouldn't like it if you cut up their ship LOL.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Great looking bread!! Congratulations on your accomplishment. Bread is not always easy for the first try.

jkath

Oh yeah I'm defently going to be adding new ingredients like Habanero saucer to the dough to make it have a little bite.
nice!
How about some super thin slices of jalapeno?

mmmmmm Imagine that, with pepper jack, being made into a grilled cheese sandwich?!