What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I had some overripe bananas that needed to be used so I made a loaf of banana bread this morning.

Attachments

• banana-bread.jpg
    banana-bread.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 141

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Made some ciabatta for my mother today :) I have a turkey breast smoking in the BGE. Figure it will make great sandwiches with some coleslaw and muenster cheese :)

P1050923.JPG

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Nice "slipper" bread, Warren. I made honey whole wheat bread & rolls for tomorrow's party following our granddaughter's baptism.

P1030564.jpg

P1030563.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I should know better than to click on this thread!

You baking bread people are all geniuses! Genii!

Whatever .... you're great!

Lee

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Those rolls look super Joe. Great shape and size.

So, here's the smoked turkey sandwiches that I made for dinner tonight.

P1050928.JPG

P1050931.JPG

P1050932.JPG

P1050933.JPG

P1050934.JPG

P1050936.JPG

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I saw an episode of ATK the other day where they made the ultimate banana bread so I thought that I would give it a try. Okay, so now it's my new banana bread recipe. It is so full of banana flavor! It is amazing!!!! Not that my old banana bread recipe was bad :lol: but this is just incredible. It's a little more work than regular banana bread since you use more bananas (6 large for one loaf), you have to microwave them, strain and then take the juice and reduce it in a saucepan. It really concentrates the banana flavor. If you love banana bread, you REALLY need to try this recipe!

Here's the video and below is a picture of mine:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/...tiveCategoryName_2_10_0_mv=recipe&docid=27244

Attachments

• ultimate-banana-bread.jpg
    ultimate-banana-bread.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OMG OH LORD!! ALL THIS BREAD SWEET AND SAVORY!! I am drooling here!!

And that turkey!! LORD I WANT SOME!! It looks awetastiful!! Fantabulous!! Damn I can't speak!! :readytoeat: :wub:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mama, what a coincidence! I made that same recipe on Thursday! But I left the rows of banana slices off the top.

It really was a good loaf.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Nothing fancy today - just some oatmeal butterscotch cookies. Very tasty, though.

Attachments

• oatmeal butterscotch cookies.jpg
    oatmeal butterscotch cookies.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 100

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
YUUMY Karen!!

Our Dessert was apple crisp (granny smith apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, walnuts, pinch salt, Splenda brown sugar and melted butter) topped with blended butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pinch salt and uncooked rolled oats.

apple_crisp_040211_P1070990.JPG

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mama and Sage, I have avoided the new ATK banana bread recipe because all the microwaving, cooling, reducing, etc. just seemed like too much trouble. Now that I look at your banana bread and actually watched the video, maybe I was wrong. I have a whole "rack" of bananas hanging in our backyard that are almost ripe. I usually make a bunch of banana bread (10 loaves last time) when our bananas are ripe, and I've always used the OLD ATK recipe, subbing sour cream for yogurt. It's darned good, but I guess I'll have to try this now. Do you think it is feasible to double the recipe?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Peeps, that apple crisp looks so good. I haven't made any for ages...I would be inclined to be extra wicked and put either cream or ice cream on top.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, that apple crisp looks so good. I haven't made any for ages...I would be inclined to be extra wicked and put either cream or ice cream on top.
Thank you Karen. While everyone was eating dessert (I watched because I just didn't feel like dessert at the time, I am eating some while I type. It has just the right amount of lemon zing and not to sweet) I said to bad we don't have any french vanilla ice cream for al moat (sic)!! LOL

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Karen, the alternative (which is what I did - they explained it in the book, but not in the video) is just to freeze the bananas until you're ready to use them. They exude their liquid when they thaw. Reduce that liquid. Peel them before you freeze them - it's hard to peel them frozen. Thaw them out in a strainer set over a dish.

Other than reducing the liquid, the recipe is pretty simple. I don't see any reason you couldn't double it.

I skipped the top banana. You can't use a frozen banana for that, and it's all I had. But Mama's sure looked pretty with the slices on top!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Sage...I think that is also what I would do. It's microwaving ten bananas at a time that sounds a little daunting if I double the recipe. But if I am just thawing them, no problem. I'll try it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all!

SS, I guess great minds think alike! :w00t:

Karen, it is really a very good recipe. Very strong banana taste. I microwaved mine since I didn't have any in the freezer. I bought extra bananas last week with the intention of making this recipe when the became over ripe. Mine were a very dark brown. I don't see why you can't double the recipe. Like SS said, you can freeze the bananas and then thaw to get the liquid. The only thing that really took any time was reducing the liquid. The recipe says it takes about 5 minutes to reduce but mine took a bit longer. The bananas on top really do add a nice touch.

Cuisinette

Thank you Karen, I thought of you yesterday.
I have a friend from Alamos Sonora, and I called her and told her I am making bread.
She was supposed to go out with another friend and she canceled that to come and eat bread at my place.

She is such a bread lover :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Does Lasagna count?

Lasagna (oven ready no bake lasagna noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, Romano and Parmesan cheese, raw eggs (in ricotta mix), hard boiled eggs, mushrooms, ground beef, sausage, fresh herbs – oregano, basil and parsley, homemade tomato burgundy sauce).

040311_baked_lasagna.jpg

Last edited:

Cuisinette

Peeps sure it counts, I can bet you didn't cook it on the top stove :yum:

Looks great :a1:

Your lasagna reminds me of cheese pie, we make a dough just like fresh pasta and then sprinkle cheese in it and roll, with butter, sour cream and yogurt, then it is topped with beaten egg and baked in the oven.

Maybe i will make a pan tomorrow.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps sure it counts, I can bet you didn't cook it on the top stove :yum:

Looks great :a1:

Your lasagna reminds me of cheese pie, we make a dough just like fresh pasta and then sprinkle cheese in it and roll, with butter, sour cream and yogurt, then it is topped with beaten egg and baked in the oven.

Maybe i will make a pan tomorrow.
Thank you C!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Great bakes :a1:

I made white bread and the first (2,5 lb) was gone in 3-4 hours... and I had to bake some more :mrgreen:

04-03-2011%2BBread%2B1.jpg
04-03-2011%2BBread%2B2.jpg

04-03-2011%2BBread%2B3.jpg

04-03-2011%2BBread%2B4.jpg
04-03-2011%2BBread%2B5.jpg

Oh how well I know about bread disappearing. That is a testament to the baker, and from the looks of your bread, it's no small wonder it went so fast. Great job.

Yesterday we went to our niece's home for dinner, and she asked for sea salt baguettes (I did them Epi style) and plain baguettes. I also made some Italian to give to a friend we had not seen in a long time.

P1030605.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, it all looks SO delicious, you guys!

Thanks for posting!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I made some banana no-bake cookies this morning...I guess it's not technically baking but oh well, they still taste good....:smile:

Attachments

• no-bake-banana-cookies.jpg
    no-bake-banana-cookies.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.