What wine with what food

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have stood in wine shop's & supermarkets and wondered what wine should I serve with dinner tonight. Or ask someone who is doing the same thing I am doing only to find that they don't know any more than I. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I went to a wine tasting party one time and the host had us taste wine by it's self, then taste a food with the wine. The first wine the host give us tasted awful, then we ate a[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] bread chips with goat cheese, then taste the wine. I could not believe it was the same wine! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I tell this story to say that matching foods with wine can make a meal taste better. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This is to give folks a little knowledge on pairing foods & wine. [/FONT]

Steak and Cabernet Sauvignon--Huge classic. The proteins and fats in the steak really soften and mellow out the tannins in the wine and bring forward the fruit flavors. Yum.

Tomato-based Pasta Sauce and Sangiovese (Chianti Classico)--Yes, please! The same goes for pizza. Sangiovese (the main grape in Chianti) doesn't shy away from the acid in the tomatoes. Other Sangiovese-based wines are Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and Brunello di Montalcino. There are also varietal Sangiovese wines being grown successfully in California, Washingtonstate and other places beyond Italy.

Seafood and Chardonnay (White Burgundy)-- In fact, Chardonnay is a popular match with lots of seafood. It has nice acid, and makes seafood taste fresh; it's like a bright squeeze of lemon!

Spicy Asian Food and Riesling--This works so well because Riesling's touch of sweetness and relatively low alcohol can help take the sting off the heat of spicy dishes. A highly alcoholic wine, by contrast, would just make you feel the burn.

Blue Cheese and Sweet Dessert Wines (Sauternes, for example)--It's the contrast here that works so well! The salty cheese against the sweet wine delivers big, big, utterly gigantic flavor.

The Whites

Chardonnay is a very versatile wine grape: its flavor and aromas are easily influenced by where it's grown and how it's made. When barreled in oak, it takes on a richness characterized by honey and butter flavors. When barreled in stainless steel, it often retains more mineral flavors and comes across as fresher on the palate. Chardonnay excels in Burgundy, France. Cool coastal areas of Californiaalso produce excellent Chardonnay.
Chardonnay is a favorite with seafood.

Riesling is a crisp, clean wine. With age, Riesling takes on honey flavors and attractive oily aromas. Riesling grows well in Germany, the Alsaceregion of France, the Finger Lakesregion of New York, and parts of Australiaand WashingtonState.
Riesling pairs nicely with spicy foods, poultry. Try it with Thai food.

Pinot Gris is made from grapes that generally produce different styles of wine depending on where the grapes are grown and how they're handled in the cellar. In the Alsaceregion of France, and in places like Oregonand New Zealand, Pinot Gris typically makes rich wines marked by a bit of spice. The Italian style (Pinot Grigio) tends to be fresh, crisp and refreshing.
Sample either style with seafood and pasta dishes, vegetarian food and poultry.

Sauvignon Blanc is a fresh, crisp, aromatic wine. This wine is the star of the Loireregion of France. It also shines in the Bordeauxregion, where it is often blended with Semillon. In the New World, New Zealandhas emerged as a prime spot for Sauvignon Blanc.
Sauvignon Blanc is a food-friendly wine that goes well with many seafood, poultry and vegetable dishes.

The Reds

Merlot is a soft, supple wine with nice fruit flavors and aromas. Typically, it is ready to drink earlier than Cabernet Sauvignon, which sometimes needs a few years for its astringent tannins to mellow. Outside of Europe, New World Merlot shines in places like California, Chileand WashingtonState.

Cabernet Sauvignon is more assertive than Merlot, with more tannin and greater aging potential. Aged in oak, Beyond Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon does well in Napa, California, where it produces smooth, ripe wines. Washington State, Chileand Australiaare also making excellent Cabernet.
Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are very nice with meat dishes like beef and lamb.

Pinot Noir, a notoriously difficult grape to grow, made its mark initially in Burgundy, France. The grape continues to deliver single-varietal wines that are among the best in the world. Pinot Noirs are delicate wines. In the New World, tasty Pinot Noir is being made in Oregon, New Zealand, and some of the cooler appellations of California.
Pinot Noir is a versatile food wine, great with poultry, salmon, meat and vegetable dishes.

Syrah is at home in the Rhoneregion of France, where the grape makes spicy, rich, darkly delicious wines that increase in complexity as they age. Syrah also makes delicious wines in Australia, where it is marketed as Shiraz. Syrah also excels in WashingtonState, where it often displays an attractive acid balance, and in California, where the styles vary significantly.
Syrah is a very versatile wine that pairs well with a wide variety of foods. It's terrific with grilled meats.

Other Reds to Consider

Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Malbec, Tempranillo, Gamay, Zinfandel.

Which glasses are best for what type of wine?
You can drink wine from any glass, but some glasses really do offer advantages. Glasses with bigger, tulip-shaped bowls improve red wines by capturing and showing off the aromas. Whites are served cooler, which can tamp down aromas, and are fine in the smaller, narrower glasses with less of a tapered rim. I drink my reds and whites out of the same big tulip-shaped glasses.

How much should you pour?
Five ounces is considered a serving for both white and red wine. Pour 6 ounces into a big glass.

What about those bistro glasses?
Those work fine, particularly with pizza or something rustic and fun. But it is interesting to notice the way that a wine's aromas are captured in tulip-shaped glasses. You can try it yourself as an experiment: drink the same wine out of a bistro glass and then a tulip-shaped glass. I think you'll see how much more aroma, and therefore flavor, there is with wine served in the traditional tulip-shaped glasses.

What's the best way to store wine?
It really depends. If you have half a bottle but you know you'll drink it the next day, just put a cork in it and store it on the counter. But if you know it's going to sit there for several days, you can do a few things to preserve it--because once the bottle is exposed to oxygen the wine begins to deteriorate.
· Pour the remaining wine into a smaller container. A plastic water bottle works fine, and you can crinkle the edges to eliminate more air.
· Vacuum pump it to draw out the air.
· Cork it and refrigerate (which slows down the chemical reaction) but be sure to take red wines out in time to bring the temperature back up before drinking

What is the life span of re-corked or refrigerated wine?
Wine can last a while re-corked in the fridge or put into smaller containers that eliminate oxygen. I have kept white wine in the fridge for a couple weeks, and I have not found that they've gone off. In my house, red wine never sticks around that long.
But if you only drink a glass or two on the weekends, I'd invest in a vacuum pump--available at wine merchants and some supermarkets. Vacuum pump the air out of the bottle and store it in the fridge. Take red wine out of the refrigerator on Thursday to enjoy it the following night.
It's good to remember that you're never going to drink the same wine twice: too many flavor compounds are busy at work, changing, improving in many ways but then deteriorating once they're exposed to air.

Can you freeze wine, say in an ice tray?
You could. I've never done it because I drink it or add it straight to a sauce or stew without freezing. But you can use it like ice cubes made of stock to add depth to sauces and soups.

Any personal suggestions for leftover wine?
I like to finish a sauce with the same wine I'm drinking with dinner--it builds a tasty flavor bridge between the food and the wine.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Classic-Wine-Pairings/Detail.aspx?ARBMID=1010&ARFMTID=1

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Wine-101/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Holidays-and-Events/Passover/Main.aspx?ARBMID=1010&ARFMTID=1

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent post. :thumb: Very interesting, especially to me as I'm a wine dummy. I will use this list guaranteed. :D :tiphat:

All of the above is fabulous advice, but folks - do keep in mind that it's only a guideline.

The best wine to serve with food is a wine you specifically enjoy with that food. And never let anyone try to tell you otherwise.

I've enjoyed reds that go nicely with seafood, & whites that have been terrific alongside a nice steak. If it floats your boat & you enjoy it - go with it.

Like all things food-related, there is rarely a definitive "right" or "wrong". :)

GotGarlic

All of the above is fabulous advice, but folks - do keep in mind that it's only a guideline.

The best wine to serve with food is a wine you specifically enjoy with that food. And never let anyone try to tell you otherwise.

I've enjoyed reds that go nicely with seafood, & whites that have been terrific alongside a nice steak. If it floats your boat & you enjoy it - go with it.

Like all things food-related, there is rarely a definitive "right" or "wrong". :)

What she said :mrgreen: I really don't enjoy most reds at all, especially if they're particularly tannic, so I drink whites and pinks almost exclusively.

Rustpot

Like all things food-related, there is rarely a definitive "right" or "wrong".​
This is obsolete true, this is a guideline. Common sense tell you to drink the wine you like.
If you are not a wine drinker and having a dinner party, or just want to try something new this is a good guideline. Witch is why I posted this.

waybomb

Most red wines can use a bit of decanting. Especially some of the older aged cabs and merlots.

One way is to simply open the bottle 4-8 hours before you plan on drinking it.

Another way is to pour the wine into a decanter. It's a vase-like container - very wide at the bottom. Pour the wine in slowly exposing as much as possible to air.

Now decanters are being made called aerators. This is a device that attaches to a bottle or a glass, and the wine is poured through it.

Then here is heresy to wine snob, but it works, it works well, and it works right away. Try it. Pour the wine into a blender and blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Pour into the glass, but don't drink until the air bubbles are gone. I did this recently with a reserve cab from 2001, a very expensive bottle of wine. Our guests were wine snobs. They about died when they saw what I did. I served as described, and they could not believe I was able to decant the wine so quickly and it, of course, tasted great.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
thanx, rustpot, for posting this. after the most tedious class on wines i've taken in my day, i remain pretty much wine illerate. this is a great guideline~

Rustpot

Most red wines can use a bit of decanting. Especially some of the older aged cabs and merlots.

One way is to simply open the bottle 4-8 hours before you plan on drinking it.

Another way is to pour the wine into a decanter. It's a vase-like container - very wide at the bottom. Pour the wine in slowly exposing as much as possible to air.

Now decanters are being made called aerators. This is a device that attaches to a bottle or a glass, and the wine is poured through it.

Then here is heresy to wine snob, but it works, it works well, and it works right away. Try it. Pour the wine into a blender and blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Pour into the glass, but don't drink until the air bubbles are gone. I did this recently with a reserve cab from 2001, a very expensive bottle of wine. Our guests were wine snobs. They about died when they saw what I did. I served as described, and they could not believe I was able to decant the wine so quickly and it, of course, tasted great.
Thank you Waybomb! I will give this a try, A 2001 cab! I bet it did cost a few bucks.

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I hope I am not breaking a rule by posting this.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This is where I buy my wine, You can get wine from around the world. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In my opinion; I do prefer French wine. [/FONT]

http://www.kosherwine.com/