Fried pickles...anyone a fan??

Deelady

I've only tried them twice, one time I hated them the next time they were starting to grow on me :blush:

Fried Dill Pickles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup ice water
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon pickle juice
8 medium to large pickles, sliced 1/4 inch thick
or use 4 cups drained dill pickle slices
Oil for frying

Stir flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Make a well in center and add water, egg, pickle juice and stir at once. Stir with whisk to make smooth batter. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat at least 2 slices in batter to coat evenly and lightly. Fry without crowding in hot oil until golden and crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain and serve at once.

Deelady

I think the difference for me of why I didn't like them at first was the first place served the pickle spears version....much too overwhelming! But then we had the pickle chips version at Champs and they were much tastier, but definately still something you HAVE to share!!!

BigAl

I've only tried them twice, one time I hated them the next time they were starting to grow on me :blush:

Fried Dill Pickles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup ice water
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon pickle juice
8 medium to large pickles, sliced 1/4 inch thick
or use 4 cups drained dill pickle slices
Oil for frying

Stir flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Make a well in center and add water, egg, pickle juice and stir at once. Stir with whisk to make smooth batter. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Heat at least 2 slices in batter to coat evenly and lightly. Fry without crowding in hot oil until golden and crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain and serve at once.

I dunno about that . I may need a few more drinks first:yuk:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOVE 'em!

I've had both the spears and the slices, and love them both. I've only ever had them spicy, so I think some places must add cayenne to the batter.

Lee

jakeworthswingsandfried.jpg

A bucket of fried pickle spears with chicken wings

jakeworthsfriedpickles.jpg

Fried pickles with creamy garlic dip

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
LOVE 'em!

I've had both the spears and the slices, and love them both. I've only ever had them spicy, so I think some places must add cayenne to the batter.

Lee

jakeworthswingsandfried.jpg

A bucket of fried pickle spears with chicken wings

jakeworthsfriedpickles.jpg

Fried pickles with creamy garlic dip
oh thats heavenly!! i like my buffalo wings dry and crispy also, with the hot sauce and blue on the side to dip in.

those spears look so yummy, creamy garlic dip!! that would taste good on anything!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I would try them at least once. I've often been surprised once I've tasted something vs just having it described to me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I would try them at least once. I've often been surprised once I've tasted something vs just having it described to me.

i had them for the first time 2 years ago when we went to busch gardens. they were yummy. except watch out when biting into hot ones!! that hot pickle juice hurts!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm a fan for sure had them a few times in various places. I agree that most I've had have been kicked up with cayenne pepper or some other spice blend.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Qsis did you already have that pic or did you go out to get some yesterday??? :D Great pics!

LOL, I previously posted those pictures and a couple of others in the "Dining Out" forum when I was posting about Jake Wirth's, Dee.

In fact, I'll be back there, ordering more fried pickles this Sunday, when a friend and I go in town to see Jim Carey's "A Christmas Carol". I've never seen a 3D movie before!

Jake Wirth's will be before the movie, then after the movie, we will head over to Fanueil Hall marketplace where the Tex-Mex place is celebrating their 20th anniversary with 1989 prices. $3.00 coronas!

Aye, carrumba! :biggrin:

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I had the for the first time this past July at a restaurant called Fiorella's in New Orleans. I would have eaten the entire basket if I didn't think I'd look like a glutton doing so. They were fabulous!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I had the for the first time this past July at a restaurant called Fiorella's in New Orleans. I would have eaten the entire basket if I didn't think I'd look like a glutton doing so. They were fabulous!

Oh a good date then, my wife would of slapped my hand if I reached for more than a taste if she wanted them. I've learned to order 2 orders one for me and get her own. :unsure: