Pan-Seared Halibut with Rissotto and Shrimp Cream

AllenOK

This is one of the menu items we're running right now. We started serving this last year, to rave reviews. I don't really have a recipe, per se, just directions.

Take the time to make some good shrimp stock. Go find some head-on shrimp, if you can, and use the heads and shells for the stock. Save the shrimp for use in this recipe, or other recipes.

Make a good rissotto. Use the shrimp stock, along with some white wine. Be sure to add some good whole butter and parmesan cheese after the rice is cooked. Hold this warm, or if you're prepping a day or so ahead (like I do at work), portion the rissotto into small bowls, cover, and refrigerate. Reheat individual portions as needed in the microwave.

To make the dish: Preheat the broiler. Preheat a saute pan that can go into the broiler, or just use a cast iron skillet. Swirl in a little clarified butter/ghee. Season the halibut with salt and pepper. Sear for a few minutes over high heat, until the fish releases. Flip (away from you so you don't get splashed!), and add one shrimp, diced into large chunks. Place the whole thing in the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the fish is done. Remove the pan and place back on a burner. Remove the fish, leaving the shrimp in the pan, and keep the fish warm (I usually already have the rissotto heated, and placed in a bowl, so I'll just put the fish directly on the rissotto). Deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of white wine. Add a couple tablespoons of shrimp stock, and a couple tablespoons of shrimp cream (make more sauce is you want, it's GOOD!). Bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce into the bowl, around the rissotto. Garnish as you see fit.

Remember, the sauce doesn't get reduced. It's supposed to be a "brothy" cream.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Allen, this sounds awesome!!! A keeper for sure!!! I have still not tried real rissotto!