I'm off to Philly...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Driving down to Philly today, right from work. Lou and I are going to the Flower Show (theme this year is Italia!) and then dinner at one of Mark Vetri's restaurants, Osteria. Been to both of his restaurants in Philly, hard to find a better meal!

Going to the Mudder museum tomorrow for some scientific human oddities and strangeness.

See you all tomorrow evening. Enjoy the day and get loving this weather!

buckytom

Grill Master
have fun, vb.

i guess you'll see a lot of hairy vetch and moustache orchids, huh?

please tell me that there's a topiary of hand gestures... lol.

Ronjohn

Have fun!
I've heard about that museum. Don't know if I'd ever be able to convince my wife to go see it. :ermm:

I have to wait another day to leave for our little trip.

Calicolady

Have a fun trip and wonderful meal.
From flowers to beyond the grave, interesting weekend.
I'd ask for pics of both, but I don't know if the Mudder will let you.

I hope you got some rest last night. You said you were dog tired the night before.

buckytom

Grill Master
not 1 italian joke? :mellow:

not even "that's cruel to have that many big noses sniffing all of those flowers???"...

awww. i'll go away now.

PanchoHambre

Have fun Vera... never been to the mutter... or the flower show for that matter... be on the lookout for some guy driving and benz w/ 2 crazy dogs in the back seat... that's me... I'm probably not paying attention to my driving so look before you cross.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
not 1 italian joke? :mellow:

not even "that's cruel to have that many big noses sniffing all of those flowers???"...

awww. i'll go away now.

LOL!

ONE Italian joke? You must be sitting on a million of them right now, just bursting to be let out!

Don't go away - hit us with them!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Have a great time, Vera! Don't know about the Mudder Museum, so I'm looking it up...

buckytom

Grill Master
i heard that the displays are set up with different themes.

when you first enter, there's the "hugs and kisses" forest, with a lot of weeping willows.

next up is the "atsmatta fuh you" orchid pavillion, followed by "fuggedaboudit", the giant array of forget-me-nots.

then there's the "you're too skinny" cone flowers, and "eat something, would ya already" fruit orchard.

and finally, there's the huge display of 10 foot tall tomatoes, where you get handed a bug sprayer and get to re-enact having a heart attack between the plants.

but that's just what i heard....

oh, i forgot to add all of the succulents, like the cactus room. individually, they're really tough plants to handle, but ig you put them in rows they just wilt and die.

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, definitely my kind of place! "Disturbingly informative." I just read a book about cadavers and all their historical and current uses (Stiffs - The Curious Uses of Human Cadavers). Take pictures - we can put them with my mummy museum pictures.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOLOL! Maybe it's just you and me, Tom!

Very good, though! LOL!

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Very cool Vera, and very funny BT!!

DW is going to the Chicago Flower and Garden Show on Monday, so I guess one of us will be having fun :(

Elaine l

Ohhhh Vera, I would love to visit the Mudder museum! Eager to hear ALL about it...every last gory detail.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I want you to bring me back a Philly steak sandwich. I won't get into the area till later this year but probably will be going to Warren's for the next ECG.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Back home....and beat to shit, actually. The flower show was beautiful as it always is. More in the way of trees and plants in the dispays than actual flowers. The show seemed to lack a bit of colour this year. They were selling wine among the exhibits so we had some of that as we were looking around.

The restaurant was magnificent as always. I've been having a problem reading the menus in restaurants lately. I can see the words barely, but the lighting is so dim that I simply cannot read it. Lou has a little credit card sized magnifier and light thing we use, but left it in his coat this time. Didn't need coats!!!:applause: but couldn't see the menu, either! I had risotto balls stuffed with cheese and pancetta to start and Lou had a squash terrine. He had gnocchi with cheese, cream, pork for dinner. I had the pig special-three pieces (a rib, some belly, cheeks, too) with rosemary potatoes . For dessert we had a blood orange tiramisu and a honey polenta. Had a 30 dollar glass of aramagnac too...

The Mutter (sorry about the earlier incorrect spelling) museum was magnificent if you like weird old medical stuff, complete with skulls, bones of all the 9 months of fetal development, dried skeletons, petrified penises, etc....

Very very cool, indeed.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The Mutter (sorry about the earlier incorrect spelling) museum was magnificent if you like weird old medical stuff, complete with skulls, bones of all the 9 months of fetal development, dried skeletons, petrified penises, etc....

Very very cool, indeed.

Ohhh. You'd like Bodies The Exhibition. Saw it last year in Ft. Lauderdale. Fantastic.

Elaine l

Mudder, Mutter, tomato, tamato....I still want to go there. Saw a special on t.v. and it is just my cup of tea. I read once that Napoleon's penis sold for $3,000 at auction. I know that has nothing to do with the Mudder/Mutter but interesting none the less.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Mudder, Mutter, tomato, tamato....I still want to go there. Saw a special on t.v. and it is just my cup of tea. I read once that Napoleon's penis sold for $3,000 at auction. I know that has nothing to do with the Mudder/Mutter but interesting none the less.

I'll bet it's very _____ very ..... very --- sigh - I can't say it. Cough cough.

Calicolady

But of course, "TASTEFULLY"! LOL!

." A few years later Rosenbach displayed the putative penis, tastefully couched in blue morocco and velvet, at the Museum of French Art in New York. According to a contemporary news report, "In a glass case [spectators] saw something looking like a maltreated strip of buckskin shoelace or shriveled eel." The organ has also been described as a shriveled sea horse, a small shriveled finger, and "one inch long and resembling a grape."

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
But of course, "TASTEFULLY"! LOL!

." A few years later Rosenbach displayed the putative penis, tastefully couched in blue morocco and velvet, at the Museum of French Art in New York. According to a contemporary news report, "In a glass case [spectators] saw something looking like a maltreated strip of buckskin shoelace or shriveled eel." The organ has also been described as a shriveled sea horse, a small shriveled finger, and "one inch long and resembling a grape."

gagging.......:puke1: