1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3 tablespoons vegetable oil & 3 tbl. butter
1 lg. onion, sliced
1/3c. assorted color bell peppers, chopped
3 ounces provolone or mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced

4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise

1 - Place the beef in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, marjoram and basil. Sprinkle over beef.
2 - Heat half of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute beef to desired doneness, and remove from pan. Heat the remaining oil in the skillet, and saute the onion and green pepper.
3 - Preheat oven on broiler setting.
4 - Divide the meat between the bottoms of 4 rolls, layer with onion and green pepper, then top with sliced cheese. Place on cookie sheet, and broil until cheese is melted. Cover with tops of rolls, and serve.

Variation;
I don't broil the sandwiches; just let the heat of the beef and onions melt the cheese.
If you like, you can lightly butter the buns and lightly brown the buns.
This is a complete meal served with coleslaw.

Another favorite variation; the Cheese Steak Hoagie……… Omit the peppers and onions;
Slather mayonnaise on both sides of the bread. When the beef is in the bread, top with the cheese, then lettuce (shredded works best) tomato slices, and raw onions.

buckytom

Grill Master
looks good lt. but mayo on a cheesesteak??? :puke1:

i like 2 nyc versions: the balboa, which is on on buttered garlic bread, or the giacomo, which has brown gravy added while it's being griddled.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
.......what lee said; Although on the traditional version, I prefer ketchup....
But the cheese steak Hoagie variation DEMANDS mayo, and Hellman's at that!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I remember how I used to (30 years or so ago) ride a co-worker about the raw clams he'd eat every wed. at lunch.............until he told me that, until I knew what I was talking about, CLAM UP !
I took the challenge, tried one of his, and then proceeded to put away a dozen of my own (less one, which he insisted I repay )
Nowadays, whenever i can, I stop at the local clam bar to down a dozen cherrystones, chased by a half-dozen oysters on the half........

High Cheese

Saucier
I never had a cheesesteak w/mayo. When I make them home I add a little ketchup to the chopped meat while it's cooking, place said meat and veg on a roll, top with cheese, then under the broiler for a couple minutes. Finish with homemade potato chips.

buckytom

Grill Master
I never had a cheesesteak w/mayo. When I make them home I add a little ketchup to the chopped meat while it's cooking, place said meat and veg on a roll, top with cheese, then under the broiler for a couple minutes. Finish with homemade potato chips.

high cheekinz, (lol, sorry)

add some onions and a little brown gravy when you griddle or sautee the meat and ketchup, and you'll have the giacomo that i'd mentioned. it's a legendary hell's kitchen sandwich.

the weirdest but a delicious steak sandwich around here is from a halal food cart on 11th avenue and 56th street. the guy makes a cheesesteak by griddling a few steak-umms (you know, those frozen thin slices of "chuck"), flipping them, and just before they're done, topping with some griddled middle eastern marinated chicken thighs, peppers, and onions. he folds the meat around the chicken and peppers/onions, put it in a hero roll, and tops it with dill yogurt sauce, lettuce, and tomato.