Happy birthday to Leni!!!!

djoseph

Re: Just Joined

Hey Dan, new here myself..looked like a good place to hang out!
Nothing wrong with Constant Q'ing
we did Baby Backs for New Years...it was -19°
yeah, I had to put the coals to her to get em' done..but Man o Man was it worth it!:eating2:

I think its kind of fun q'ing in the cold. Our coldest day here in Michigan was -5. I wrapped some tarps around my gazebo and made some pulled pork.

I've found it a friendly place here as well. Good to meet you!

chilefarmer

Re: New here from Minnesota

Phil, welcome to the forum, a Little crazy here at times. But also lot of good recipes and people. CF said that.:)
PS, there is also some good bread bakers.

pharmerphil

Hey CF, now that's weird..someone I already know...!! I was just googling something and this board stood out...thought I'd drop in...
Yeah I see there be some other dough squeezers here :)

chilefarmer

Dan, welcome to the forum, I to love to "Q". Also making bacon and sausage along with other good eats. CF:biggrin:

chilefarmer

Dan, I do some bulk sausage and also link sausage. Some raw links and some smoked. Depends on the type of sausage. Haven't done any dry cure yet as I have no curing chamber. But do have a smokehouse. CF

Leni

Welcome Phil. I'm an avid gardener also. So far I've planted tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and garlic. I'm still harvesting broccoli and cauliflower. The nice thing about being in SoCal is that i can garden all winter.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Hi Phil, welcome!

Looking forward to hearing more about your vegs and how you prepare them!

Got any great ideas for radishes? Man, I love rads!

Lee

K

Kimchee

Howdy! Does this mean you are the go-to person now for
gardening questions? ;) :)
Welcome to the neighborhood!

pharmerphil

Hi Phil, welcome!

Looking forward to hearing more about your vegs and how you prepare them!

Got any great ideas for radishes? Man, I love rads!

Lee
Hi Lee, Thanks for the welcome ...
I LOVE radishes too, we raised so many last year...but last year was a great year weather wise..this season so far...not so much...
Well, I don;t know if this is a New idea for Rads...
But it's one we sure love!
we make this on the rare days that all our radishes don't sell at the Farmers Market...but sometimes..we just make it because it's good...

Cream of Radish Soup

4-6 cups radishes, sliced
1 cup chopped onion, scallions, or leeks scallions (We have tried all :) )
4 Tbs. unsalted butter, divided
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 cups milk, warm
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon nutmeg
parsley

In a skillet, sauté onions and radishes in 2 Tablespoons butter until both are limp. Put vegetables in blender and process until smooth.
Meanwhile; In a medium pot, melt 2 Tablespoons butter, stir in flour, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add milk all at once and bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and stir until thickened. Add the processed vegetables, salt, pepper, and parsley. Adjust seasonings and Enjoy

pharmerphil

Welcome Phil. I'm an avid gardener also. So far I've planted tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and garlic. I'm still harvesting broccoli and cauliflower. The nice thing about being in SoCal is that i can garden all winter.
Leni...I wish we were there...1° this morning, norm is 40° for this date...
when do you plant your garlic there? and what type? Hardneck or softneck?
we plant hardneck in October...it's out there under it's little blankie of snow.

pharmerphil

Howdy! Does this mean you are the go-to person now for
gardening questions? ;) :)
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Kimchee...makes me hungry thinking about your username..
we just finished the last of ours a few weeks back...

garden questions...ask away, I'll try to give my best answer :)

Leni

I plant hardneck and it goes into the ground when the cloves start to sprout. That can be any time of the year. I started with some that I had bought from the local grocery store but I saw an Italian variety that I may try this summer.

My garden climate is very unique so your answers are going to be more appropriate for most of the country. For example it is going to be in the 70's until after the weekend. My fruit trees have already bloomed and the roses have started.

I look forward to comparing notes with you.

ylisa7

New Here From The Mountains Of Tennessee And Lovin' It:):)

I just wanted to stop by to introduce myself. *Hopefully I can contribute to many threads here and also learn some more:)
My husband and I live Off Grid in a home we built almost 5 years ago. *We travel in our class B and spend the winters in Florida. *I love to build, remodel, rv, read, cook, garden, playing with my pug, and shooting pool with my DH. *I have also just started blogging. *I figured if I didn't get our life written somewhere no one would believe how crazy we are, lol.
Have a great day and I hope to stop in and chat often.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: New Here From The Mountains Of Tennessee And Lovin' It:):)

Hi ylisa, welcome!

Sounds as if you lead an active and busy life!

Looking forward to sharing recipes and chat with you here!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Hi again Ylisa7. Glad to see you mozied over here. :thumb:
Feel free to post a link to that recipe you shared on FF. It sure did look good and I bet some folks here will appreciate it.

ylisa7

Hi ylisa, welcome!

Sounds as if you lead an active and busy life!

Looking forward to sharing recipes and chat with you here!

Lee

My DH like to be busy...it's the long winter days that drive us crazy:)

Hi again Ylisa7. Glad to see you mozied over here. :thumb:
Feel free to post a link to that recipe you shared on FF. It sure did look good and I bet some folks here will appreciate it.

Thank you:)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

Hiya ylisa. Welcome aboard this friendly place. :)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Welcome to NCT ylisa! Glad you found us!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum! :tiphat:

Jim

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Welcome ylisa! I've been reading your house-flipping threads on CD for years. I'm always amazed that you two can take those outdated homes and turn them into such fantastic properties. I like DIY projects too, but I could never do what y'all do.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Welcome ylisa7 and I will soon be joining you off the grid as my wife and I are retiring come the end of June and moving to a small town in East Kentucky. We are working on a 14 acre place with a double wide trailer on it. No neighbors for a mile in either direction.

pharmerphil

I plant hardneck and it goes into the ground when the cloves start to sprout. That can be any time of the year. I started with some that I had bought from the local grocery store but I saw an Italian variety that I may try this summer.

My garden climate is very unique so your answers are going to be more appropriate for most of the country. For example it is going to be in the 70's until after the weekend. My fruit trees have already bloomed and the roses have started.

I look forward to comparing notes with you.
Hi Leni..
Whew, been busy...being a seedling daddy :D and then there is life, sorry for the late response..
We wish we had your climate Leni..
it MAY reach the 50's today with rain...looking out the window I'd say the snow is now been erased by the 39° temps through the night and light rain..
YEAH :clap: maybe in a week I can at least get things going outside..it's a SLOPPY MESS now...
roses...well My wife seen that we can NOW SEE the tops of the cages that protect her roses...after the snow melted down some
I Love comparing note!

pharmerphil

Off the grid in Tennessee ...Need a neighboring gardening couple?? :)
new here too...WELCOME

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Happy Birthday, VeraBlue!

Who said take a day off????:yum: I got my liquor license just before the super bowl...added another night to dinner service, survived Mardi Gras, now looking at French Quarter Fesitval and two weeks of Jazz Fest, having a bar built for the dining room...

Thank you so much for the well wishes. I remember the days when I actually had time to cook and post...

xoxox

Chef Raoul

Hello Everyone

Just found your forum and was impressed with the information and caliber of your post. thank you.. I look forward to being part of this community.

thanks,
Chef Raoul

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Hello Everyone

Hi Chef Raoui,
Welcome to net cooking talk. I'm glad you found us.
What are your specialties, ie: favorite meals to cook.
I look forward to your posts. :thumb:
Enjoy and post often. :tiphat:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Hey there Chef Raoul! :wave: Welcome to NCT! I can't wait to see what you cook up!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Welcome Chef Raul! I was going to say exactly the same thing as Mama!

Jump right on in here and feel at home!

Lee