Did anybody catch the Mod Whine fest over on DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm amazed at how it all happened.

i thought that i was leaving on my own after being slapped (in the knees) by an admin, then threatened by his rant to me in a pm was my "warning". i presume he meant before i was banned. i decided not to give him the satisfaction.

within a week, you all were here, so, it worked out well.

i don't feel a need to go out flaming, er, well, you know. i'd like to be able to go back at some time to retrieve my recipes and other one's that i liked.

i was told that i'm not banned yet, so someday i shall see.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
i don't feel a need to go out flaming, er, well, you know. i'd like to be able to go back at some time to retrieve my recipes and other one's that i liked.

i was told that i'm not banned yet, so someday i shall see.

I would never flame any website. But I'm not below altering all my pics to promote my new home...

ItalianSubBread.jpg

P1010341.jpg

P1010337.jpg

Hey, it's only right that people should know where the recipe came from. I'll bet these and teh others I've altered have already been blocked somehow, but with 1,044 posts, I'm sure some of them will continue to pop up from time to time. I wonder if they can block links from specific Photobucket accounts. If they can, all of my posts with pics will have a silly looking message. I believe this is called an indirect attack.:applause::clap::a1:

lilylove

I haven't been banned.... haven't gotten nasty notes.... but I know they know I've been inviting people over here...

I don't get it... guess I'm just tooooo perfect to bother with! LOLOLOLOL:yum::yum::yum::yum:

THIS IS BRILLIANT !!! I Salute You !!!

I agree, if people are going to continue to see your pics there, then they have a right to know where you can be found NOW !!! I would hate for people to think I had just lost interest, so this is the perfect solution.

I would never flame any website. But I'm not below altering all my pics to promote my new home...

ItalianSubBread.jpg

P1010341.jpg

P1010337.jpg

Hey, it's only right that people should know where the recipe came from. I'll bet these and teh others I've altered have already been blocked somehow, but with 1,044 posts, I'm sure some of them will continue to pop up from time to time. I wonder if they can block links from specific Photobucket accounts. If they can, all of my posts with pics will have a silly looking message. I believe this is called an indirect attack.:applause::clap::a1:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
hey, i went to catholic school. i turned out alright.
2219_twitching.gif

ya know, this thread has taught me one thing: that i'm a nicer person that i'd first thought. in the past, when i was (temporarily) banned or just left dc for disagreements, it bothered me.

this time, it doesn't. i'm over it already. i can keep in touch with a few old friends through myspace or facebook or email, so i have no urge to go back any time soon, to be at the mercy of a mod whose teeth are bared and dripping, waiting for me to step out of line.

Buckytom, it's not showing you as being banned.

It seems as though they now want to ban people without actually admitting that that is what they are doing. Or could it be that they have been "Un-banned" ??
(hehe .... I know that isnt a word !!)

Sounds like it is a New Era there .... one that at least is concerned about Public Image, whether or not anything underneath is different.

Dammit, and I never even got Banned !!!!

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks mama.

i've seen the "banned" tag over the years appear and disappear under members names. i knew of members that were banned that it never showed up, and others who were banned that it was there for a while, it went away, then showed up again. so it's not a definitive thing.

my guess is that it is a field that the admin enters into the user's file or system configuration when they ban someone. it might get skipped sometimes, and other times when it is entered it may be removed for appearance purposes.

I see. Well, if it is inconsistent, then we can infer nothing from it.

What happened to me was that I got a couple of "You got outta line" hard-nosed threatening emails, and my posts were erased. My 'crime' was I had, according to him, strayed from the original post, although I was answering a question the orginal poster had asked, and for which she wrote me a nice private mail and thanked me. I sent him back a note and said "Indulge Yourself .... Erase them all if you wish, I am not here to fight, I will gladly leave." Then he became very conciliatory.

I have stayed, and have had no firther run-in's, but I dont feel completely comfortable there anymore. One moderator was very nice and asked me about "what had happened" and said, "I cant say more than this, but we are looking into things." Dont know what that means, but at least it sounded hopeful.

thanks mama.

i've seen the "banned" tag over the years appear and disappear under members names. i knew of members that were banned that it never showed up, and others who were banned that it was there for a while, it went away, then showed up again. so it's not a definitive thing.

my guess is that it is a field that the admin enters into the user's file or system configuration when they ban someone. it might get skipped sometimes, and other times when it is entered it may be removed for appearance purposes.

PanchoHambre

Can we get a recap of the new wrinkle? Banned by IP over here....And I doubt I remember to check when I get home...

basically they are limiting the time one has to edit a post to 20min to stop possibly unhappy posters from going back and removing content and thus sabotaging their "historical archives" just a bunch of silliness

GrillinFool

In all seriousness, I've seen this type of thing before. It usually involves guys who were always picked last in softball. Perennial outsiders. One too many swirlies.

The problem is that these guys grow up with the same little boy chip on their shoulders. They see a guy on a motorcycle having too much fun, and the next thing you know Little Lord Fauntleroy is passing around petitions for a helmet law.

Same deal here. The guys "breaking the rules" were the same fun bunch telling insider jokes and trying to have a good time. I know, I was one of them over there.

One moderator actually tried to scare me with their own brand of "double secet probation." It's called 'moderation.' In reality, it means the guy reads your mail to see if you're talking about him. Granted, I was...

I'd get these long-winded 2:00AM PMs about his authority. Kind of reminded me of the president of the chess club giving me the stink-eye for getting to second base with his girl friend.

So now he puts his widdle foot down and threatens folks with limited editing times to "show us who's boss." Yikes. I feel like holding him down, printing an "L" on his forehead with a magic marker, making him take off his pants and then tossing him into the girls' locker room.

And that's my point. If he can finally get even with us cool kids for high school, he can reclaim his nuts from lost-and-found. Yes, these guys grow up, and some become the Little Corporals of the marching band bake sale.

I don't get all of it, I must admit. I was out getting laid.

Wow, this is pretty much exactly what I thought I was dealing with. A Napolean complex. Little man's syndrome. Dork in power disease.

Working in IT I see this stuff all the time. Guys that were complete dorks all their lives but now know all kinds of technical stuff that the common person doesn't and feels totally superior to the riffraff who can't translate a binary clock to the time of the day. Same people that have not been on a date with a live person from the same area code in 5 years. If the date involves webcams, is it really a date?

The guy said to me something about how I was lucky the other mod gave me a warning PM because if she (he? Dunno) hadn't I would've "been in a whole different reality right now." Who the hell says that kind of crap? What reality would that be? The one where I go home to my wife and child? Work as a Systems Architect for a $7 billion company? Enjoy my toys grown up toys (50 inch LCD with surround sound and Blu Ray, etc), go hit a happy hour a couple times a month with friends? Grill every weekend and blog about?

Within 12 hours of getting that PM I banned myself in a blaze of glory and considering the lack of much new content since I left, or at least the interest in what I did post remaining high, I would say their reality has gotten significantly worse. Even more so now that we have had a mass exodus over here and the petty bickering between posters (and mods) is no where to be found.

Hey, you DC trolls, just a bit of advice. Why not look at what is going on here and try to learn from it rather than using it as evidence to alienate your user base even more? But if following the rules of How-To-Be-A-Tool 101 is working for you, newsflash - It's not, then keep fighting the good fight.

Oh, and will the last one off DC please turn off the lights?

Just goes to show you that a good domain name is not the key to success. You still have to have a good product. Nobody went to google because it had a good name. They had a good product...

buckytom

Grill Master
well, i doubt dc is going anywhere. there's certainly room on the web for a "heavily moderated, g-rated" cooking site. it just won't be as fun or interesting to grown ups as here.

the last i was told by an insider, things have settled down and us "bad apples" were just a rogue wave in the pond.

i do hope that people on both sides can see how things should be done.

i knew when i posted my holocaust joke that it might offend someone, and it did. but ya see, no one needed to be slapped, or demerit-ed, or banned. it was handled between decent, respectful people.

that was part of my evil plan.

and really, it was just a joke.

the moral is you reap what you sow.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hmm, interesting cover-up. They are hiding the word Banned now, but I'm still banned.

GrillinFool

basically they are limiting the time one has to edit a post to 20min to stop possibly unhappy posters from going back and removing content and thus sabotaging their "historical archives" just a bunch of silliness

So basically they are still treating the symptoms and not the disease. Is their business model built out of legos? Did the entire staff graduate from MIT - Murray's Institute of Tools (bonus points if you can name the sitcom, character and or actor who went to that fine institute for higher learning!?!)

Want the truly creative people to go to a cooking sight. Let them be creative. Do not stifle all creativity with an iron fist. Or more like a limp wristed key stroke. Those that choose to be governed like that are not ones that will ever think outside the box....

OK, well, I think I am done with this for a while. Back to the BBQ forum. Well one last jab. Hey all you DC trolls :moon:

To all my new friends at NTC :alc:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
i knew when i posted my holocaust joke that it might offend someone, and it did. but ya see, no one needed to be slapped, or demerit-ed, or banned. it was handled between decent, respectful people.
Wait a minute, BT, where's the joke? I've been out of town for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.