The fish are bitin' in Naples

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Today was my first day out on the Gulf of Mexico since I've been back. It's warm, too warm, and the grouper are still way out in deep water so no 30 pounders today. We loaded up on smaller grouper, and every kind of snapper imaginable.

The boat owner smokes as many cigars as I do so I surprised him with a bunch of Cubans this morning. I think I have a friend for life. LOL

SDC10901_800.jpg

SDC10951_800.jpg

This guy is the mate, Skippy.

SDC10923_800.jpg

We pulled up a couple of remoras. I put my hand on his sucker and man do they ever grab hard. Very unique experience.

SDC10928_800.jpg

SDC10929_800.jpg

Full fish box.

SDC10935_800.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I can see them.
Looks like you guys were targetting everything.

Normally we'd be hitting heavy on the grouper but it's been so warm that they're still way out in deep water (they prefer cooler water). We loaded up on red, mutton, and yellowtail snapper, a few legal groupers, and a couple oddballs. The heat wasn't a problem, though, because the 45 Cabo Express has air conditioning. :clap:

chowhound

Normally we'd be hitting heavy on the grouper but it's been so warm that they're still way out in deep water (they prefer cooler water). We loaded up on red, mutton, and yellowtail snapper, a few legal groupers, and a couple oddballs. The heat wasn't a problem, though, because the 45 Cabo Express has air conditioning. :clap:

Geez, if that's the case, so does the seafood counter.
And you can ride around in one of those electric carts. :lol:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Boy does that ever look like fun. At times I think working a fishing boat like that would be a dream job. :D You are doing it right Buzz. Living life to the fullest. Cheers :beer:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Boy does that ever look like fun. At times I think working a fishing boat like that would be a dream job. :D You are doing it right Buzz. Living life to the fullest. Cheers :beer:

It's work, Doc, hard work. Besides the owner, Don, we had 5 other guys fishing and there was almost always a fish on a line. Skippy the mate worked non-stop while we had our bait wet plus they have some unusual anchoring techniques that requires more hard work. Then the boat has to be cleaned (and it's big) after every trip or once a week when the boat hasn't been out. Skippy works for Ken, the captain, and Ken is on permanent retainer from Don.

The good news is that Ken is the best off shore captain I've ever seen. He started as a mate when he was a kid and was the youngest captain ever designated in FL at age 17. I think I've posted this before, but 20 years ago Ken hired a barge and dumped 50 golf carts in a pile at the bottom of the Gulf and formed a private artificial reef. It's about 30 miles farther out than we were today and the fishing there is second to none. The last time I was there we dropped a video camera to the bottom and the place looked like the Shedd aquarium.

Working those boats is a young man's game.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I spent a couple of summer vacations as a kid working my father's fishing camp in Big Pine Key. No thanks buzz may of had fun but I'm sure Skippy would of rather been some where else. To this day the thought of fishing brings those two summers back and kill the idea cold. Now I love to eat fish just don't want to catch and clean another as long as I live.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Running a charter is defintely hard, stressful work. I imagine a camp is the same way.

Yes it is and he also had 4 charter boats as part of the camp. He used to be part owner in the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing camp until about 63 when he decided to sell his interest in it. After he retired he opened up a fishing camp on one of the lakes in central Florida where he eventually died about 6 months after marrying wife number 9.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yes it is and he also had 4 charter boats as part of the camp. He used to be part owner in the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing camp until about 63 when he decided to sell his interest in it. After he retired he opened up a fishing camp on one of the lakes in central Florida where he eventually died about 6 months after marrying wife number 9.

Wow! That would do me in too. :sad: That's incredible. How old was he?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
A died when he was 62 a heavy smoker and drinker but died from skin cancer. He was married twice in the last year of his life and wasn't married but a few months to #9.

My mother who was his first wife died at 61 a year before him who also was a heavy smoker and drinker but died of pancreatic cancer.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just upgraded VB, and now I see formating errors in this thread. I do see the pics, but I could see them before.
Keltin and Buzz, can you guys see the pics now? Do you see the formating errors (some posts wider than others and no reply or quote buttons for those posts. :confused:

Now that I have upgraded to the latest version I can ask for support from the VB staff. So I need to know if the upgrade fixed the pic showing up issue.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I just upgraded VB, and now I see formating errors in this thread. I do see the pics, but I could see them before.
Keltin and Buzz, can you guys see the pics now? Do you see the formating errors (some posts wider than others and no reply or quote buttons for those posts. :confused:

Now that I have upgraded to the latest version I can ask for support from the VB staff. So I need to know if the upgrade fixed the pic showing up issue.

No changes, no pix, no formatting errors, and all reply and quote buttons are in place.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay. Thanks for the quick response Buzz.
I'll contact VB support on this issue.

chowhound

Have you tried logging out and then back in, Buzz?
That has fixed this problem for quite a few of us when this has happened before.

chowhound

Oh, and my guess is, if you follow a link to another thread in this forum, you will not be logged in when you get there.

Lefty

Yank
Wow, that looks like fun. I would love a fishing trip right now, especially after getting rid of a half a foot of heavy snow. :bonk:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Okay. Thanks for the quick response Buzz.
I'll contact VB support on this issue.

Posts 17 *18 are formatted to wide for me. no reply buttons. :confused:

17 is mis-formatted but 18 looks ok on my screen.

Have you tried logging out and then back in, Buzz?
That has fixed this problem for quite a few of us when this has happened before.

Tried it a few times - no help

Oh, and my guess is, if you follow a link to another thread in this forum, you will not be logged in when you get there.

That happens to me too and I don't believe it used to be that way.

phreak

I can't see the pics either, but can imagine what they look like, and I'm now hungry. Do you ever shoot up to Cape Coral and get fresh clams from that farm? I had the pleasure of eating some at a friends place in the Cape for a 7 Fish Christmas dinner. They are so buttery and delicious.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
For those that can't see the pictures here is something you might try. Right click on the picture and pull up the properties. Now copy the URL to the file, open a new tab in your browser and load the URL. Odd are once there it will want you to log in again which I had to do the first time. Now once there close the original tab and go on reading the group from the current tab also in this group unless pictures are posted to another site like photobucket.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I can't see the pics either, but can imagine what they look like, and I'm now hungry. Do you ever shoot up to Cape Coral and get fresh clams from that farm? I had the pleasure of eating some at a friends place in the Cape for a 7 Fish Christmas dinner. They are so buttery and delicious.

Not Cape Coral, but just beyond it is Pine Island, a relatively desolate place considering its surroundings. There is a young man who harvests clams every Friday and long before dawn each Saturday morning makes the long drive to Bonita Springs where there is a farmers market. If I'm in town I arrive at the market at 7 AM. First I go to the fish vendor and then directly to the clammer, or clamsman, or clamster, or whatever they're called and buy two dozen middlenecks (large) for ten bucks. They live for days in the refer so I consume a half dozen a day over the next 4-5 days. I steam them in their own juices and reserve the liquid for my every other week batch of conch chowder.

I'm getting hungry.... :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I still can't see the pic.

What is your monitor resolution Doc? Mine is 1680x1050 (widescreen), and those screens I posted could be stretching the post if your resolution is set lower than mine.

As for the buttons, they all seem to still be there.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm seeing all fine Doc as I did before but then I did what Chowhound suggested when I couldn't see them the first time. As for resolution Keltin you are running bigger than I am I'm only at 1024x768 on this 19" monitor.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
VB has suggested I prefix NCT's cookies.
To test that theory I have turned on viewing for guests. The problem as I understand it is that some members cannot see the images, others can. If I allow guests to view images, all can view with no issues.
So, buzz, chow etc ... can you all see the pics now?