Chiles Rellenos Recipe

FryBoy

Good recipe in today's Los Angeles Times for Chiles Rellenos. It's based on the recipe from El Cholo, a very popular L.A. Mexican restaurant that's been around for about 85 years.

Here's the link: CHILES RELLENOS

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmmmmm, this is interesting, Fryboy.

I LOVE these things, but they are a pain to make. This recipe uses whole canned green chilis, which would skip all that roasting, steaming and peeling business. Might lose a little in flavor, but might be worth it.

Also, the technique of battering and frying the stuffed chiles is different.

"3. In a large skillet or frying pan, add enough oil to come up the sides by one-half inch. Heat the oil until a thermometer inserted reads 350 degrees.

4. Gently spoon a little egg batter into the pan, spreading it so it is roughly the dimensions of one side of a stuffed chile. As soon as the batter begins to set, 1 to 2 minutes, lay a chile over the top, then spread an equivalent amount of batter over the chile.

5. Turn over the chile relleno and fry an additional 1 to 2 minutes until golden on all sides. Remove the chile relleno with a slotted spatula or spoon, and place on a warm plate. Repeat until you have 6 chiles rellenos"

I think I'll give this a whirl! Thanks!

Lee

smoke king

Banned
I must agree with Lee-I love Chile Rellenos but what a pain in the ass they are to make!!

This does look interesting-maybe I'll give them another try. Thanks for sharing FB!!