Cooking Myths

bowlingshirt

"You cannot deep-fry in olive oil

FalseStamp.gif

Olive oil has a lower smoke point that most other oils and as a result many people think you cannot use it for deep frying. Balderdash! This would be news to many Italians including the famous TV chef Mario Batali. Olive oil's smoke point is about 375of and most frying is done below that. Also, just because an oil smokes a little does not mean it is ruined. Using olive oil for deep frying is undoubtedly expensive. The least expensive olive oil is, in my experience, about twice the cost of other oils that are used for frying such as peanut or canola. Plus you should discard the oil after a single use because the low smoke point means that the oil degrades more during that first use. So, you may never actually want to use olive oil for deep frying, but it is most certainly possible - and can give terrific results for some recipes!."

Well, duh...but I don't wanna spend the extra money to fill up my deep fryer, either.

High Cheese

Saucier
"You cannot deep-fry in olive oil

FalseStamp.gif

Olive oil has a lower smoke point that most other oils and as a result many people think you cannot use it for deep frying. Balderdash! This would be news to many Italians including the famous TV chef Mario Batali. Olive oil's smoke point is about 375of and most frying is done below that. Also, just because an oil smokes a little does not mean it is ruined. Using olive oil for deep frying is undoubtedly expensive. The least expensive olive oil is, in my experience, about twice the cost of other oils that are used for frying such as peanut or canola. Plus you should discard the oil after a single use because the low smoke point means that the oil degrades more during that first use. So, you may never actually want to use olive oil for deep frying, but it is most certainly possible - and can give terrific results for some recipes!."

Well, duh...but I don't wanna spend the extra money to fill up my deep fryer, either.

When I make my version of eggplant parm I deep fry the eggplant in olive oil. You just have to pay close attention to the pan.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes but say shallow frying in a pan for say meat balls or sausage in a bit of olive oil would be better tasting in some cases. I too would not use olive oil in my deep fryer or even good peanut oil as that is almost as expensive as olive oil but canola is always my first choice for my deep fryer.