Whats cooking 11/24/10?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Not to sure but something easy between preeping for turkey day!! I planned to start things yesterday and today but something always comes up when I am getting ready to do anything!!

I am hoping hub will either grill something if it's not raining or pick up something.

Any plans?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Since I am working tomorrow (today) it'll probably be Nutella on whole wheat, or tuna salad or whatever I throw together.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Going to be baking today, so did-din will probably be something simple. I spoiled DW too many time this week with good dinners.:yum::yum: Lots of prep for tomorrow to do today.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my new-Dad, he says he would luv french dip sammiches-
fries & provolone

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
We're making tamales today, so not much time for dinner prep. When I made that wonderful Tuscan bean soup last week, I put half of it in the freezer, so that will be dinner tonight.

GotGarlic

Karen, have you ever posted your tamale recipe? I'm thinking about trying to make them over Christmas break. I found a Mexican grocery store near the computer store that has corn husks.

Tonight, we're having ricotta-stuffed shells with marinara sauce and green salad. Mom will be here to help with tomorrow's dinner prep and there will only be four of us, so it won't be too onerous :smile:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
GG, I don't really use a "recipe." Each time I make them, I seem to vary the filling, etc. But here is a GREAT guide to making tamales, that will tell you all you want to know, with very helpful visuals. I would take issue with a few things: One is the time needed to soak the husks. This site says two hours. I'd recommend at least double that, and start with hot water. They're not going to disintegrate, and the softer they are, the easier to work with them. Also, we never leave one end open, but tie off both ends in case one of them tips over in the steamer. The second is the use of oil - I use half lard and half butter. I steam them a minimum of two hours, usually more. Then I reheat them in the steamer for about an hour the next day. So long as they are tied up tight, they reheat beautifully. Here's the site:
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/

Have fun!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Going to be baking today, so did-din will probably be something simple. I spoiled DW too many time this week with good dinners.:yum::yum: Lots of prep for tomorrow to do today.
Same here. But mine will be mostly prep for tomorrow. My baking will be pumpkin pie and apple pie. Wanna send me some rolls and a loaf of bread?

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

Speaking of Nutella, Costco was giving out samples of Crescent rolls with Nutella filling.
YUM!

Tonight we are having pork chops, gravy over noodles and a salad.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Same here. But mine will be mostly prep for tomorrow. My baking will be pumpkin pie and apple pie. Wanna send me some rolls and a loaf of bread?
Your wish is my command. Here are your rolls, fresh from the oven...\

P1020277.jpg

..and here's your bread...whole wheat and Italian.

P1020589.jpg

Enjoy!

GotGarlic

GG, I don't really use a "recipe." Each time I make them, I seem to vary the filling, etc. But here is a GREAT guide to making tamales, that will tell you all you want to know, with very helpful visuals. I would take issue with a few things: One is the time needed to soak the husks. This site says two hours. I'd recommend at least double that, and start with hot water. They're not going to disintegrate, and the softer they are, the easier to work with them. Also, we never leave one end open, but tie off both ends in case one of them tips over in the steamer. The second is the use of oil - I use half lard and half butter. I steam them a minimum of two hours, usually more. Then I reheat them in the steamer for about an hour the next day. So long as they are tied up tight, they reheat beautifully. Here's the site:
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/

Have fun!

This is a great site. Thanks for posting it, and for the tips! :smile:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to try some stuffed mushrooms that I saw on Pioneer Woman's blog. French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms--basically you cook the onions in beef broth and wine, stuff the mr's, and top with gruyere cheese. They look really good.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Mark and Sarah are flying in later this evening..so we're all going to Port o'Call for huge burgers and baked potatoes.

mhend

Burgers with Boursin Cheese. I sauteed some red onion and cherry tomatoes and added that to the cheese. The pic isn't so great, but it tasted good!

DSC_0002.jpg

sadie

Oh WOW JoeV !!!
I can almost smell that from here.
I've been making candy all day (fudge (s) & almond brittle) so leftover pork roast & salad are on the menu for tonight.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
That burger is fabulous M.
Joe, well.. you already know what I think of your bread, you Masterbaker.. lol

Leni

I want that kitchen! I have a 1950's galley style kitchen with only around 9 running feet of counter space.