Pumpkin Soup?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've always liked pumpkin soup, what about you? The first time I made it I was way too generous with the hot sauce and it was a bit inedible. I've gotten the technique better, lately. Made a batch at the restaurant the other day for the anthropologist convention that was in town. Seems quite a few of them were vegetarians. Instead of the usual chicken base I use for pumpkin soup, though, I used vegetable base. Have to admit, I wasn't all that pleased with the end result. They seemed to love it, though..I sold out of it.

Do you make pumpkin soup? Do you go more sweet or savoury? I do put some brown sugar in, but I also add hot sauce. I'm thinking of tweaking the recipe and using chipotle... what do you think?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
First time I attempted it, the Warden's "Comment" was that it tasted like it needed more cinnamon, and a crust......... I agreed, as it was more like a dessert than a soup.

You simply MUST tend toward the savory, or else just make the durned pie, and be done with it !

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've never had it, but then I'm not much of a soup eater. My mind says it would seem like dessert, but I have nothing to base that on.

It also sounds like it would be very filling - an entree as opposed to a starter. Is that true?

I'd love to try yours sometime.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
LOL, my sister-in-law just requested a pot of pumpkin soup. I never follow a recipe though. I saute a bunch of celery and onion in butter till tender. Add chicken stock and simmer a bit to make sure veggies are very tender. Stir in canned pumpkin (make sure only ingredient in the can is pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling). Stir/whisk to get any pumpkin lumps dissolved into the soup. Add heavy cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. I use white pepper.

Today, I guess I used two LARGE onions, a couple stalks of celery, about 4 quarts of chicken stock, 2/3 of a #10 can of pumpkin and about a pint of heavy cream

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
It's no more filling than any other cream soup. I did serve it with toasted garlic bread croutons, though...

GotGarlic

I haven't made pumpkin soup, but I had butternut squash soup recently for the first time. It was wonderful, and the gingerbread croutons were absolutely genius :smile:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I used to make a pumpkin soup (though I haven't made it for years - don't know why) that sounds alot like unConundrum's. I used to garnish it with some candied pecans, however. I think a bit of chipotle would be delicious, but it would need to remain a background flavor, or you would lose the subtleties of the pumpkin and other tastes. I think the candied pecans might be good with a little cayenne or red pepper flakes, though...

Mr. Green Jeans

I do a version with white beans and diced jalapeno. The trick is to get the right balance of the sweet and mellow of the pumpkin and the hot, sharp pepper.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Well, took over to my sister-in-law's today and my wife reminded me that we always served it with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with chives or green onion

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I've never had pumpkin soup but it does sound like a dish that I would definetly like to try if I can find the right recipe. :)