Can I grill a red potato ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Last night I was reading the new issue of Prevention magazine and saw skewers of peaches, sweet potatoes, and what I thought were red potatoes.

I bought a box of the little ones (expensive) as I though they said they could be grilled, but I was wrong ... it was something else in the picture.

Does anyone know if I can grill them and if they should be par boiled first ?

Thanks.

suziquzie

Sure you can!
I think I would cut in half, par boil.... toss in Olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever herb you like, skewer and grill.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Sure you can!
I think I would cut in half, par boil.... toss in Olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever herb you like, skewer and grill.

That sounds like a good plan! The goal is to get everything on the skewer to the proper doneness at the same time.

High Cheese

Saucier
Sure you can!

That's what I would do. You could put them in a small cast iron pan and roast them indirectly on the grill too. Just like an oven.

That sounds like a good plan! The goal is to get everything on the skewer to the proper doneness at the same time.

To make it easy, par cook everything first so everything is al dente. Then finish it over a super hot grill. The high heat will finish the cooking but also add some nice marks.

FryBoy

I do it all the time. No need to par broil. Use a skewer, but about 6 to 8 reds (or baby Yukons) on it, rub with a little olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and fresh pepper. Grill over low heat about 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, until well browned on all sides. Test with a cooking fork -- it should go into the largest potato very easily.