Flat Iron Delight

Leni

I've often wondered how I ended up with a husband who wants medium well. To me that is sacrilege! It should be no more than medium rare. Anything more done than that is a crime against a wonderful piece of meat.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>how I ended up with a husband who wants medium well.

hmm,,, I suspect things other than meat done-ness affect spousal choice. we're working on close to 50 yrs - and she still not do "pink"

if one ganders the CDC data on - for example - pork incurred trichinosis, not a lot of recent (read: recent by decade) support for the 6,500'F internal temp for "safe pork" - like that has made any difference in my cooking reception.....

even with the oven finish, the flat iron is easily served without a knife - it's tender, juicy, and really good eats.

I'm still playing with the "end results" - I'm thinking to cut the steak in half, giving one half the four minute sizzle, and "my" half a 3 minute sizzle.....
oh, yeah - it's minutes per real live actual "timer" thingie,,,, not a guesstimate....

to a point one can work with the "thickness" thing - the smaller / thinner end will cook "thru" more faster. so far, that theory is not holding up.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
>>how I ended up with a husband who wants medium well.

hmm,,, I suspect things other than meat done-ness affect spousal choice. we're working on close to 50 yrs - and she still not do "pink"

if one ganders the CDC data on - for example - pork incurred trichinosis, not a lot of recent (read: recent by decade) support for the 6,500'F internal temp for "safe pork" - like that has made any difference in my cooking reception.....

even with the oven finish, the flat iron is easily served without a knife - it's tender, juicy, and really good eats.

I'm still playing with the "end results" - I'm thinking to cut the steak in half, giving one half the four minute sizzle, and "my" half a 3 minute sizzle.....
oh, yeah - it's minutes per real live actual "timer" thingie,,,, not a guesstimate....

to a point one can work with the "thickness" thing - the smaller / thinner end will cook "thru" more faster. so far, that theory is not holding up.
I don't worry about pork so much any more since I read/heard that if pork is frozen for at least 30 days all those little critters are killed.

I agree that beef should be pink any more done is shoe leather!!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>shoe leather

sentiment accepted
timing is, but ,,,, uhhh,,, perhaps not 110% true

in my experience it is possible to produce an entirely succulent chunk'o'beef that is "medium" ie no bloody/pink - without entirely/completely turning it into "rubber chicken" texture.

it is a fine line, agreed, but not 'impossible"

'timing' is 'everything' - four, five minutes 'hold' at temperature can without a doubt, turn "medium" into "shoe leather"

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
>>shoe leather

sentiment accepted
timing is, but ,,,, uhhh,,, perhaps not 110% true

in my experience it is possible to produce an entirely succulent chunk'o'beef that is "medium" ie no bloody/pink - without entirely/completely turning it into "rubber chicken" texture.

it is a fine line, agreed, but not 'impossible"

'timing' is 'everything' - four, five minutes 'hold' at temperature can without a doubt, turn "medium" into "shoe leather"
If it's not pink it's overdone in my eyes.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, yours looks wonderful!

Chowderman, were you able to fairly evaluate the flavor and texture of the steak, being well done as it was? In other words, how did you like it?

I have not seen the cut in my markets.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I use flank steak often and it was nothing like the flat iron I had at the steak house. It really does depend what region you are in as to the name of a cut and even then there can be 2 names. For example I have seen the same cut of steak labeled Porterhouse or T-bone.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
peeps is 'zactly right - there be 'names' and 'names' be 'not the same thang'

what I pictured is not what I deem 'well done' - my deer wife orders everythang "well done" -

may not be obvious from the pix, but I'd say it's just 'medium' - no pink, warm center. am I fooling herself with well done = brown vs. well done = hot brown? perhaps. no can admit . . .

all aside, I'm in the pink-side-to-side camp.

regrets, the dog has dibbs on the 'dog house' so I'm constrained to 'no pink' or alternatively finding an unoccupied dog house spot to sleep.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>were you able to fairly evaluate the flavor and texture of the steak, being well done as it was? In other words, how did you like it?

I bought that meat in the pictured pkg.
sliced open the pkg ,towel dried the meat chunk.

applied (kosher) salt and fresh ground black pepper to a chunk of beef brought to room temp - i.e. one hour out of fridge on counter top.

the flat steak was done "medium" - per definition,,,, center is brown comma warm.

regrets, but all 'definitions' imply' user definitions.

your mileage may vary

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
In my area most menus have this listing. Some have other in between listing IE medium well etc
red & cold - rare
pink & warm - medium
brown & warm - well done