Smoked chicken wings

FooD

Along with the beef I'm also throwing some chicken wings into the smoker this afternoon. Do I need to crisp the wings by putting them in the oven or by grilling them afterwards?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
FooD, grilling the wings directly, at the end of your cook, is the best way to crisp them up, in my opinion.

Smoked wings are difficult to get right. ChefRD's wings are the best I've every had . The only thing you have to watch is turning them CAREFULLY to keep as much of the coating on as possible. His recipe is in this link, with photos. http://www.bbq.yyyz.net/Picture13.asp

Lee

Love2"Q"

i love smoked wings ...
i cook mine until done on the smoker then
put in 400 degree oil for about a min. to
crisp up ...

FooD

The wings were a big hit. I thought they came out great. After smoking I immediately threw them in the oven for just a few minutes, then tossed them in wing sauce and served them. I will do this again. :D

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
The wings were a big hit. I thought they came out great. After smoking I immediately threw them in the oven for just a few minutes, then tossed them in wing sauce and served them. I will do this again. :D

:weneedpics_smi::lol::lol:

FooD

So here's gonna be my next experiment with the electric Brinkman involving chicken wings...
I'm going to smoke the wings without water in the pan which hopefully should bring the chamber temp to over 300 degrees and hope the wings to come out crisp.

chowhound

The higher temps should definitely crisp the skin up, but where does one draw the line between using smoker at higher temps and using a grill at lower temps? ;^)

FooD

The higher temps should definitely crisp the skin up, but where does one draw the line between using smoker at higher temps and using a grill at lower temps? ;^)

Very good point, but in my particular case neither my big gas grill nor my charcoal grill (non kettle) smoke as efficiently as the Brinkman, IMO. Plus, the ease of just plugging it in and throwing a couple of chunks of wood makes using this smoker so much more attractive for turning out simple appetizers like chicken wings. :D

chowhound

That's exactly what I was thinking, Food. The ease, the novelty.
In my case, having to choose between firing up the WSM or the Ducane gasser, I would opt for the Ducane, cook indirect and have a foil packet of chips on the burner. Given an electric smoker too.... hmmm..... decions, decisions.

chowhound

I hear ya, Q. I think I made wings three times last week and now my stash is gone. I hope somebody has a sale on 4 lb bags soon.
I'm needin' some wings :biggrin:

Attachments

• wings1.jpg
    wings1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 94
  • bluecheesewings.jpg
    bluecheesewings.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 94
  • wings3.jpg
    wings3.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 98
  • wings&wedges7onplate.jpg
    wings&wedges7onplate.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 95

chowhound

Thanks. Grilled wings are my goto meal, which is why I'm out right now (lol).
I buy them frozen and cut into pieces in 4 lb bags. I think when they are on sale they are around $6/lb. I'm going to check into buying them by the case at a restaurant supply service that also retails. I don't think they are that much cheaper than if you get them on sale, but the size is better and more consistent.

Love2"Q"

and you had to go and post a picture ...

we used to get our wings at a local butcher shop for
2 bucks a pound .. and they were huge ..
but now he is at 8 bucks a pound ...

FooD

Excuse my ignorance but I didn't think wings sold for that much per pound. I thought paying $4/lb at the local supermarket butcher was kind of high... ..that's why I try to buy most of my meat at either Costco or Sams Club.
...And here I thought we were paying high food prices in L.A.....just like housing...

Love2"Q"

i was paying 2 bucks 10 years ago ..
since wings have gained popularity he raised his prices ..
and most of the wing shops buy from him ..
they are huge wings ..

FooD

I guess like certain things prices are regional. The Foster Farms chicken I buy come from the state I live in.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
it costs more to buy chicken wings here than it does chicken breasts... figure that one out..lol

FooD

i can usually get boneless skinless on sale for $1.99/lb.... bone in , skin on .99/lb.... now chicken wings, if i can get them on sale for 2.99/lb thats steal..lol

Wow, that's interesting.... I don't think I can find boneless/skinless breasts for that low...

EDIT: I take that above statement back. Most all local supermarkets are offereing boneless/skinless breasts for 2.99/lb this weekend.

Last edited:

FooD

While we're on the subject of meat prices I scored some frozen spareribs from Denmark trimmed to St Louis style for 97 cents/lb at a local supermarket. They were packaged in 10 lb boxes, 4 slabs/box. I bought 3 boxes.....30 lbs worth for $29.70.
I've had these same ribs before and they were great. :)

chowhound

That's a sweet deal.
I wonder if those are the ones I used to get a long time ago... I don't remember, but the butcher may have said Denmark and I "misremembered" Belgium. He led me to believe that true baby backs came from there, but he was either stupid or yanking my chain.
Show us a pic!

FooD

That's a sweet deal.
I wonder if those are the ones I used to get a long time ago... I don't remember, but the butcher may have said Denmark and I "misremembered" Belgium. He led me to believe that true baby backs came from there, but he was either stupid or yanking my chain.
Show us a pic!

I'm at work now but I can post pics late tonight.

Now that you mention baby backs, the frozen slabs do look smaller in size. I just figured they were trimmed spareribs. Box simply says spareribs from Denmark.
But if they're truely baby backs this is an amazing deal. I ought to go back for more while they last. I do have plenty of freezer space...:D

EDIT: just called my wife to tell her that I left some ribs on the counter to defrost so to keep an eye on them.......she also told me she didn't think they were baby backs as they were wider on one end than the other...

Last edited:

chowhound

I'd be snatching those babies up.
I just got back from the store, where all I really went for were hot dogs and buns, and got these. A 10 lb box was $10.39.

Attachments

• rib deal.jpg
    rib deal.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 33