Cuban Restaurants in S. Fla

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love Cuban food!

I have been to Romeus on Sheridan in Southwest Ranches and Casa Romeu in Hialeah. I had heard that Casa Romeu in Hilaleah had changed hands but hands and did not go there this trip. Casa Romeu was my favorite Cuban restaurant in S.Fla. I had an amazing steak and an amazing paella there. Cuban paella is excellent.

Romeus in S.W. Ranches is not related to Casa Romeu. It is a family Cuban restaurant that was good but not quite as good as Casa Romeu. I ate there once this time. I love black beans and rice, amarillos and Cuban yellow rice and a myriad of other dishes. Their steak was not as good as Casa Romeu's. My friend had the ox tail stew and it was ok. I loved the plaintain chips served with a lime and garlic sauce. Man, that was amazing! It almost spoiled my dinner.

I also ate at La Caretta and it, too. was good but not as good as Casa Romeu. I found the food to be a bit too salty. It, too, is not a fancy place but more of a family restaurant. I could have made a meal out of the appetizers and side dishes. There are many ways one can enjoy plaintains and cactus. Their beans and rice was good, too. It is my friend Yolanda's favorrite Cuban restaurant.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My daughter in law is Cuban and a great cook herself. I've tried to get her to join here but so far she hasn't. I'm a fan of Cuban food myself though don't care much for their coffee.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They serve it in too small of cups and too much sugar for me.

CharlieD

Aha, the sugar, as long as it is real cane sugar, I love. and to compencate for small cups I get quad order.

I went to Miami once, I remember, Got my quad coffee, lit up a cigar and went for a drive all of a sudden I had to stop. I was so light headed, dizy almost. Strong coffee and strong cigar will do it to you. I had to sit in the parking lot for probably half an hour. I loved it. The coffee, I mean.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Aha, the sugar, as long as it is real cane sugar, I love. and to compencate for small cups I get quad order.

I went to Miami once, I remember, Got my quad coffee, lit up a cigar and went for a drive all of a sudden I had to stop. I was so light headed, dizy almost. Strong coffee and strong cigar will do it to you. I had to sit in the parking lot for probably half an hour. I loved it. The coffee, I mean.
I can't handle the sugar in Cuban coffee but you're right - that stuff is strong!!! It will definitely give you a caffeine rush! (But maybe that cigar had something funny in it, Charlie.)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well being born in Miami BC (before Cubans) I have sure drank my share of it though I'm not a real fan. They always look at me strange when I get and order with 1 normal cup and leave the little cups behind.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love Cuban coffee--it is very similar to Turkish coffee.

My favorite coffeehouse and roastery is owned by an Italian:
http://www.phoenixcoffee.com/shop/
Carl Jones and his wife are in the bottom photo. Carl is the most persnickety man when it comes to coffee. He sends it all over the world--even Italy--where they love their coffee as much as they love their way of life.