3 large eggs
1/2 cup grated pecorino or Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped to yield 2 tablespoons
1 bunch basil, chopped
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups basic tomato sauce, recipe follows

Soak the bread slices in milk until soaked through, then squeeze dry. Crumble and tear the soaked bread into smaller pieces and process in the food processor, using quick pulses, to yield 4 cups soaked crumbs.
Mix the crumbs in a bowl with the eggs, cheese, herbs, and garlic, adding salt and pepper, as desired. Form into round balls about 2-inches in diameter. Set aside on a rack or plate to dry for about 15 to 20 minutes.

In a saucepan or deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil to frying temperature, about 360 degrees F, and fry the bread balls until brown on all sides. Remove the balls as they brown and drain on a rack covered with paper towels.

Have the tomato sauce ready. Arrange the balls on a platter and spoon the sauce over. Serve immediately.

Basic Tomato Sauce:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
2 (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
Kosher salt

1/4 cup chopped carrot
2 cups chopped white mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 Tbs. chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 Tbs. dried parsley
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 large egg
3 large egg whites
1 cup matzo meal (or more if needed)
Salt to taste (if using salted matzo meal, you may not need salt)
6 cups prepared marinara sauce

In food processor, finely chop carrot. Add remaining vegetables and garlic and chop to a fine paste, scraping down sides of work bowl several times.

In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add processed vegetables, parsley and black pepper; sauté until soft, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.

In large bowl, beat egg and egg whites together until blended, about 30 seconds. Add vegetable mixture to eggs; mix until combined. Stirring constantly, add matzo meal slowly, adding only enough to form a mixture that can be shaped into balls. Using wet hands, shape mixture into balls, using about 1 1/2 Tbs. mixture per ball. Balls can be frozen at this point or simmered in sauce for 30 minutes. Alternatively, balls can be baked in the oven on a baking sheet at 325F for 40 minutes and served with sauce.

to make these italian, i would put some fennel or fennel seed in them and a little bit of mustard seed

MEATLESS MEATBALLS

1 egg
1 c. Ricotta cheese
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
8 oz. pkg. chopped spinach

Beat egg. Add Ricotta cheese, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Thaw and squeeze water out of spinach; add to mixture. Roll into balls and roll in flour, then drop in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and pour favorite tomato sauce over them. Great as an hors d'oeuvre or a main dish over spaghetti.

MEATLESS MEATBALLS

1/2 c. oatmeal
1/2 c. Italian bread crumbs
1 c. ground walnuts
1 lg. egg
1 lg. onion, minced
1 pt. spaghetti sauce

Mix all ingredients except spaghetti sauce. Shape into balls and brown in oil. Place in greased casserole. Cover with spaghetti sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. May be simmered in skillet over low heat for 45 minutes instead of baking. Makes about 10.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I wish I had these a couple of years ago. I teach cooking and one day we were doing meatballs & we had a vegetarian in the group and I could not get his "meatballs" to work. I'm going to keep these for the next time.

Thanks

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
MEATLESS MEATBALLS

1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. ground walnuts
1 lg. egg
1 lg. onion, minced
1 pt. spaghetti sauce

Mix all ingredients except spaghetti sauce. Shape into balls and brown in oil. Place in greased casserole. Cover with spaghetti sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. May be simmered in skillet over low heat for 45 minutes instead of baking. Makes about 10.

That's it!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
MEATLESS MEATBALLS

1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. ground walnuts
1 lg. egg
1 lg. onion, minced
1 pt. spaghetti sauce

That's it!

Could the walnuts be substitued with a soft tofu? I'm allergic

GotGarlic

Could the walnuts be substitued with a soft tofu? I'm allergic

I've never made a recipe like this, but it seems to me that you would need to substitute something with a similar texture (like a gritty flour, I'd imagine) to get a similar result. Is there any other kind of nut you can eat?

vyapti

I make tempeh 'meat'balls that I bake, then simmer in sauce for an hour or so and they hold up great.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've never made a recipe like this, but it seems to me that you would need to substitute something with a similar texture (like a gritty flour, I'd imagine) to get a similar result. Is there any other kind of nut you can eat?

Yes, any other kind of nut, just not walnuts. Do you have any ideas??? :tiphat:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
People often sub pecans for walnuts - maybe that would work.

I guess using an oilyer nut would not work so well. I was thinking of the soft tofu more as a binder but you're probably right, it would need something a little more substantial than that. Thanks for you ideas! :flowers:

vyapti

ground flax seed makes a great binder, but you wouldn't want to use a whole cup. Beans would work too. Neither has much of a meaty texture, though.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I like the sound of this one!! mmmmm

MEATLESS MEATBALLS

1 egg
1 c. Ricotta cheese
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
8 oz. pkg. chopped spinach

Beat egg. Add Ricotta cheese, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Thaw and squeeze water out of spinach; add to mixture. Roll into balls and roll in flour, then drop in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and pour favorite tomato sauce over them. Great as an hors d'oeuvre or a main dish over spaghetti.

vyapti

I made these Koftas a while back and they were amazingly good. The ingredient list is a mile long, but are a treat for special occasions. And they freeze too.

Indian 'Meat'balls

This recipe is my stand-by Italian 'Meat'balls which I make in batches and freeze. Also very good.

(Both have tempeh and vital wheat gluten (check around the flours of your bullk section), which are essential. The nutritional yeast or chickpea flour can be substituted for bread crumbs or flour).

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
ground flax seed makes a great binder, but you wouldn't want to use a whole cup. Beans would work too. Neither has much of a meaty texture, though.

Thanks! I appreciate your suggestions - I may give that a whirl as well! :tiphat:

Wow, so many recipes to try.
year ago, i made veg meatballs which had eggs, walnuts, cheddar cheese and i dont remember what else, But, i can say there really tasted pretty close to the real thing. And more importantly, the consistancy was ' meatball - like" Many times i try the veggie meatballs, and I get either a good taste/ bad consistency or bad taste/ good consistency. rarely to I get both. But ill definitely give the above a try. And if I remember correctly when i made them, the walnuts were more of a consistency thing than a taste. They need to be ground down, but not %100. Maybe the size of sand, but not like a paste.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I made these Koftas a while back and they were amazingly good. The ingredient list is a mile long, but are a treat for special occasions. And they freeze too.

Indian 'Meat'balls

This recipe is my stand-by Italian 'Meat'balls which I make in batches and freeze. Also very good.

(Both have tempeh and vital wheat gluten (check around the flours of your bullk section), which are essential. The nutritional yeast or chickpea flour can be substituted for bread crumbs or flour).

:applause: deeeeeeelicious looking!!!

bernardpainting

Thanks for the meatless meatballs recipe...I was always wondering what to serve the vegetarians when I hold dinner at home. The koftas look delicious.