Hey gang, Going fishing much?

Derek

Banned
Well, a good net (don't know if you mentioned you have one already), good tackle box, and some basic tools in it like needle nose pliers, mini flashlight and pocket knife. I have a 'Toolman' that I take if and when I can go fishing.
I don't know if anyone remembers them? Came in a nice leather holster and not only acts like a Swiss Knife but also swings out to make pliers and folds flat for a measuring stick.
Thank you Mav, The letterman is the same thing as the toolman. And no I don't own a net, I've never needed one before but that may be a good idea to get.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Nets can cancel those last second "get offs" where the fish gets freaky as you pull it out of the water and it shakes like hell to get free. Use the net properly, and it won't be as traumatized and less likely to spit the hook during those final pull in seconds.

Derek

Banned
Nets can cancel those last second "get offs" where the fish gets freaky as you pull it out of the water and it shakes like hell to get free. Use the net properly, and it won't be as traumatized and less likely to spit the hook during those final pull in seconds.
Oh cool, By the way what do you think about my first fly rod?

It's a combo but that's all I need to get started, I will take your advice about the net.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh cool, By the way what do you think about my first fly rod?

It's a combo but that's all I need to get started, I will take your advice about the net.

My Uncles were fly fishers and went on and on about it. They tied their own flies from bird feathers, etc. Hardcore, but it wasn't for me.

I’m more into reel & crank, bottom, drag, cork, and troll fishing.

BUT....JoeV is a fly fisher I believe. Perhaps he has more to add.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I can say I love my Toolman, but DW got me the real thing, not the knock off one. I am glad she did since I have heard a lot of people that got the knock off ones complain about them.

buckytom

Grill Master
Fresh trout cooked over a camp fire. Nothing better!

next time, rub and season the trout inside and out with evoo and s&p, then stuff the body cavity with a handful of finely shredded fennel and sweet onion, and a few thyme sprigs, all doused with balsamic vinegar. then grill. :biggrin:

lilylove

lol... Paul does the camp fire cooking. I'm happy with butter salt and pepper!!
Though, your way doesn't sound bad at all!!!

Derek

Banned
Whoa!!!! Wait...wait.....I thought you said you baited your own hooks with worms??

That has got to be the stickiest mess I've ever seen. I'd actually rather gut a fish than do that. Worm guts just dry up and get so caked and sticky, but fish guts just roll off your hands.

Uh..........WTH??? Never mind!!! :yum:
My real flesh and blood brother has a friend that makes flies out of the same material, What about nromal bird feathers?

And thanks again for the reply Kelt, Hey Joe, Where you at?

Derek

Banned
that doesn't sound right, unless you're shark fishing.
Well hes my real brother, So how hard is that to understand? I'm not trying to be mean ok BT?

If it was me, I wouldn't add it to my middle, lord knows that is big enough...:brows:
LOL, gross though.

LOLOLOL... I meant the fish you silly boy!

...and NOT just for the size of your fish! :yum: :hide:
See, now on the other forums we get banned for saying that kind of stuff even in fun.

See.... Caitlin gets it!! LMAO!

:yum:oh I get it... I just refuse to admit I get it. :yum::yum:
You guys rock, And your killing me over here with slaughter.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Laughter is the best medicine!!

I can't think of anything else to add other than to make sure you have back-ups of everything you need in the toolbox.
And a good waterproof camera, LOL, just in case you drop it!

Derek

Banned
Laughter is the best medicine!!

I can't think of anything else to add other than to make sure you have back-ups of everything you need in the toolbox.
And a good waterproof camera, LOL, just in case you drop it!
Thanks mav, I was thinking of a rain coat for my big camera, And or a under water housing unit for it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh wait, does anyone else use those mesh cages that fold flat and is for holding your fish? You anchor it to something with string and then when you get a keeper you put it in there and the opening is one way so the fish can't get back out but it is in the stream or lake so it stays alive to the very end (IE the end of the fillet knife LOL)?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh wait, does anyone else use those mesh cages that fold flat and is for holding your fish? You anchor it to something with string and then when you get a keeper you put it in there and the opening is one way so the fish can't get back out but it is in the stream or lake so it stays alive to the very end (IE the end of the fillet knife LOL)?

Seen 'em, but a gill line is cheaper (1 dollar or less), and if you're on the shore or boat, works just as well for 4-6 hours.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'm very proud to say I bait my own hooks... real worms and all! lol.

I refuse to clean fish though... can't get my hands all icky!! I'm a girl. :) :) :)

that why they make latex gloves..lol

Well see there ya go! You can bait the worms cause I won't touch em, and I will happily clean the fish!
same response as Lilly..lol
i have a fishing buddy that wont touch worms either, but he will when he wears a heavy pair of kitchen gloves..
Not sure what a Letterman is, but if it is expensive, save your money. I’ve scaled fish with everything from an edged stick to a dull pocket knife, and that includes all the fancy toothed gadgets in between.

Don’t worry about the scaling part, put your money into a good filet knife.
i have used a tablespoon to scale them..generally i just filet my fish now.

if you are fishing for trout in michigan, get a small rapella.. 12.99 at Gander Mountain,Meijers(i bought mine here) or walmart..
400384_L1.jpg

Anyway guys, What else do I need except for my $28 Usd license and flies?

I'm going to get one of those trendy fishing vests that acts as a life jacket and probably waiters as well, Bu that will be more at the end of summer.

get some polarized sunglasses, sunblock and bug spray... the rest will come to you what exactly you will need after you go out on your first fishing adventure and realize.."Crap i should have bought ........!"

Derek

Banned
that why they make latex gloves..lol

same response as Lilly..lol
i have a fishing buddy that wont touch worms either, but he will when he wears a heavy pair of kitchen gloves..

if you are fishing for trout in michigan, get a small rapella.. 12.99 at Gander Mountain,Meijers(i bought mine here) or walmart..
400384_L1.jpg

get some polarized sunglasses, sunblock and bug spray... the rest will come to you what exactly you will need after you go out on your first fishing adventure and realize.."Crap i should have bought ........!"
Thank you Bam, I'll look for one, But I'm so freaking tapped for cash I don't have a pot to piss in.

By the way that's a figure of speech, Maybe some time in July I can get the rest of my gear.