Favorite Computer Tips

Y

YT2095

Malwarebytes is the one I use for virus checking and deletion, it`ll find stuff most others won`t.
if you use Adaware get it NOW! they`re doing an Anniversary Edition with some features added that you had to pay for before.
when you`re in the CMD window, typing in "Netstat" will let you know Exactly who and what is connected to your computer (some may not be Friendly!).
task manager is ok, but WhatsRunning is even better ;)

Lefty

Yank
free malware stuff

Spy-bot - Another anti-spyware, use in tandem with Ad-Aware. Also can "immunize" your system to prevent future attacks by certain malware.

SpywareBlaster 3.3 - This anti-spyware utility prevents the installation of a lot of damaging ActiveX components in IE (and IE based browsers) and adds harmful sites to the Restricted Sites list in IE. It also features tracking cookie blocking in IE and Mozilla/Firefox. After installing this, Ad-Aware and Spybot don't have much to find and remove anymore.

Hijack This - A registry scanner that lets you easily remove offending registry entries (usually caused by spyware or the programs that funnel them into your system). You really have to know your shit on this one, though. Don't just go in there and delete everything the program finds, or you'll **** up your system.

Lefty

Yank
OpenOffice.org - Office suite for word processing, slideshow presentations, spreadsheets, and basic illustrations (drawing). Works with MS Office and Corel WordPerfect documents.

Lefty

Yank
Misc stuff

Registry Mechanic - Used to fix random blue screen errors and lag problems, likely via the Windows registry. As easy to use as Ad Aware.

IsoBuster - Very useful data recovery tool. Can recover lost files from damaged CD's and DVD's. Also a must have for compiling and extracting .iso files. Many downloads are compressed in this form, and this is the only program I know of that's able to do it.

PC PitStop - This online utility is perfect for tuning up your PC. After a brief system test, various tips and solutions will be listed to optimize each subsystem. It will pick up anything from low internet ping to a needed defragment. Great online application.

Ethereal - Protocol analyzer/Packet Sniffer. Great for troubleshooting network problems. Allows you to capture all network traffic for however long you want. Run this on your network to see just how insecure email is.

Lefty

Yank
Audio files

[FONT=Arial,Sans-serif]
Audacity
You don't need to spend your hard-earned money on a commercial audio program to record or edit music or other sounds for use in a presentation or on a Web site. Audacity is an open-source audio editor that supports .mp3, .wav, and other popular audio formats.

Wavosaur
Audacity isn't the only free sound editor that got the nod from multiple reviewers. Wavosaur also made the cut, and the program has at least one advantage over Audacity: it's a single executable file, which makes the audio utility easy to run from a USB flash drive. Don't let Wavosaur's small size fool you, though; the program has an impressive array of audio-editing features. Note that you may need to download the free Lame Encoder .dll file to allow the program to export to the .mp3 format.
[/FONT]

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My first suggestion would be to download and run Belarc Advisor This free program will tell you what hardware that you have and what software is installed. It even retrieves the installation codes for a lot of the software that you may have purchased and lost. I do this for a living and most likely, if you keep a computer long enough you will want to reload it. Either for hardware failure and / or it may just be a lot faster than spending hours cleaning it up. This helps eliminate the "deer in the heaslights" look that I get when I ask for the original disks and install codes.

Next take a look at www.grc.com and a program called "Shields Up". A hardware firewall prevents outsiders looking in. A softwar firewall helps with stuff that you download (albiet inadvertently) sending things out. Two different purposes.

AC

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Oh! Macs - Nothing against them. As they gain more of the desktop market they will and are starting to get their share fo all the bad things that nasty people do to windows. Check the sites of the major Anti Virus manufacturers.

Mac's day is definately coming. I added a Mac to the office in January, Nary a day goes by without a software update and reboot.

AC

YeOldeStonecat

Maintain your Windows Updates

Keep your computer(s) behind a NAT router. Most cable ISPs only give you a modem, so your computer gets a public IP address. This is riskier. Most DSL ISPs now are shipping modems which are actually little combo modem/routers, so you're usually protected behind NAT already. NAT, besides other gateway functions, gives you basic hardware firewall protection from inbound unknown traffic (basically..hides your computer). Software firewalls can become corrupted, and cause other issues on your computer (most notably...zone alarm...ugh), thus they're not a good primary line of defense. A NAT router is always there protecting you from strange inbound..which is what counts.

Never leave your Administrator password blank. Lots of malware can install assuming this.

Use a quality antivirus that is frequently updated.
I prefer Esets NOD32 for paid, Kaspersky is also very good. I've disliked Symantec/Norton for many years due to "bloat"..but their most recent version..2009, is actually VERY light now.

For freebie antivirus, AntiVir is hands down tops in detection and also lightest of the freebies.

www.av-comparatives.org is a great place to read up on "real world, unbiased" comparisons of various antivirus programs.

Ad/Spyware is getting bad, especially the "rogue" fake malware such as XPAntivirus2009, Antivirus360, WinFixer, etc. Good to have an additional ad/malware prevention program. Spybot Search and Destroy (installed without the teatimer option), and SpyWareBlaster are 2x good programs that do not slow down your system at all. Keep them both updated frequently, and each time you update Spybot..go and run the "immunize" function again.

For cleaning infections of the above pesky rogues....based on the Vundu/ZLob trojans, using MalwareBytes, SuperAntispyware, Spybot, Adaware, and following up with Microsofts own Malicious Software Removal Tool works well.

Firefox web browser with the Adblock Plus plugin...keeps your web surfing a bit less annoying with ad banners, and it's less prone to exploits compared to IE.

RAM RAM RAM..cheapest upgrade you can do for your computer. XP is OK with 512, better with a gig. 2 gigs gets to be the law of diminishing returns for average computer users. If you're running heavy programs like graphics editing or gaming....go for 4 gigs. Yeah 32 bit Windows will only "show" you somewhere from 3.0 or 3.2 or 3.6 gigs (depending on your hardware)...but with memory, you get better performance from matched pairs...so for 4 gigs, stick with matching 2x 2 gig pairs or 4x 1 gig pairs. This way you benefit from the "DDR" synchronous pairing..higher speeds across the bus.

For Vista users, starting with 2 gigs of RAM is a good place, 4 gigs for heavier users. (or more if you're running 64 bit).

Running wireless at home? Make sure it's secured. Unsecured can result in the kid next door leeching from your connection...slowing you down. Kiddies next door are also more likely be downloading warez and pirated stuff..which comes bundled with trojans and other malware. If he's using your wireless connection..he's on your network. Lots of that malware can spread across networks. So if his PC is infected, and he's on your open wireless...he's actually on your network..with your PC..and your PC can get infected.

Shopping for laptops? Double the RAM you'd normally do for a desktop PC. Also, make sure you get at least a 5,400rpm hard drive, better yet..7,200rpm hard drive. Many more "entry level" basic laptops come with only a 4,200rpm hard drive..the biggest reason laptops seem much slower than their equivalent CPU desktop counterpart. Getting extra RAM and upgrading that hard drive speed brings back near desktop performance.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Malwarebytes is the one I use for virus checking and deletion, it`ll find stuff most others won`t.
if you use Adaware get it NOW! they`re doing an Anniversary Edition with some features added that you had to pay for before.
when you`re in the CMD window, typing in "Netstat" will let you know Exactly who and what is connected to your computer (some may not be Friendly!).
task manager is ok, but WhatsRunning is even better ;)

Cool! I didn't know the Netstat command! Thanks! :thumb:

I've not tried WhatsRunning.......have you tried Process Explorer?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just bumped into this thread and thought that it deserves a bump. Spring cleaning for Computers as it were.

later utility additions for me are SuperAntiSpyware. I use it for the worst of the worst.

Maybe Y'all have some new additions.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I wish I knew enough about computers to add something here, but the only thing that I've mastered with computers is how to hide the wires :D:D.

Embryodad

The best clean-up and periodical maintenance I found (By Mistake) was that iolo Technologies "System Mechanic".
It is a program that makes it so easy and understandable, and user friendly to clean out clutter...do hard drive repairs, and overall registry error repairs.
I have it on the 4 computers, and it is amazing.
I think it cost me 29.99 and then 14.99 for as many computers I own for all of them at that price. Total!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wish I knew enough about computers to add something here, but the only thing that I've mastered with computers is how to hide the wires :D:D.
That is a trick I still have not mastered. Even in this wireless world DW still frowns at my rats nest of wires. :wall: :biggrin:

Good recommendation ED. I used System Mechanic years ago and had pretty much forgotten about it, it has always been a very impressive and helpful tool to help manage your computers.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I recently got FIOS at the house. The techs came to install when I was not home. I currently have 3 computers / 2 phone systems / Vonage / a network printer & FAX on my desk.

Lots of wires. They came upstairs and asked my DW who maintained the "thing" downstairs. She told them that her husband built it and got upset if it stopped working. They actually called a third tech to the job. She heard them say that they had to trace every wire and make sure to put it all back the way that is was.

Yup! quite a pile of cables. Doc - Wired is still 10X faster last time I looked and less security risks.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Hiding wires :D, that's my little neat streak coming out. Maybe it's a girl thang!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Cooksie,

One of the things that I do for a living os building cabling and computer support.

Lots of timea I could use your belp. At times, it seems like people actually sit under theor desk and knot the wires. LOL

The setup. That i am talking about is only seen / used by mw. It often gets rwcables for testing. To makeatters more interesting, DW is swit gong back to cable, so here comes another install crew.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:yum: Yep, I could sure use cooksie around for my wire / rats nests. I start them out all neat but over time and adding this and that they always become a mess. Maybe someone is knotting them all together when I'm not looking. :angry: :yum:

Embryodad

DW asked if we need all those wires!

I said,"No.. If we took out the computers..we wouldn't need them!"
"If we got rid of the TV's...we wouldn't need them either!"

That's when her panic set in!

My favorite is saying..."If you don't like the look of the wires, don't look at them!"

I never mentioned there is such a thing as "Wiremold" or Plastic Raceway with covers that can be painted to match surrounding walls; etc.

I've used this and other types in control wiring, and building panels for control wiring.