My Day yesterday.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Looking at some of JoeV's work, which is beautiful, and some of the other pics posted of various things that people have done inspired me to post this pic.

This is what I did yesterday.

At the stat of the day, this was just a piece of plywood mounted on the wall and painted by the General Contractor. The cable bundle on the left side was streaming down and about 10 to 15 feet long. All of the cable was cut to length, and terminated on the patch panel. (The long black thing on the bottom left. On the other end of each cable the jack that you see for phone or computer was installed and mounted in the wall. All of this cable was tested for proper termination (Actually, I did that part last week, just before the final inspection).

Yesterday the phone system (Grey box on the upper left) was mounted, the white cables from the lower left of the phone system were custom made and connected to the patch panel. IN the offices, a phone was installed and plugged into the wall.

Next the Internet router (Red box on the top right) was mounted and powered. Then the Eherrnet switch (Blue Box) was mounted and powered. When all of this was done the yellow patch cords connected the Ethernet switch to the patch panel so that threee computers could be installed in office.

The office is now ready for move in day. We just need the Inteernet provider (Cable Modem) to deliver Internet service and the Telephone company to deliver dial tone. Hopefully move indays will be a breeze. Install the computers comming from the old office and connec the dial tone.

After everything was tested, I dressed the cable so there are no loose cables and the finished job looks nice.

Andy

By the way, the un;ainted spot in the board is so that the building inspector can see that the plywood used is fire rated.

Attachments

• Maple Eye Care 2009-08-12.jpg
    Maple Eye Care 2009-08-12.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 123

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ohhhhhhhhh, how absolutely GORGEOUS, Andy!!!

Breathtaking!

;)

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Lee. Not as a ttractive as Joe's work, but, it is what I do. It is nice to have a customer that let me "do it right" instead of just get it done cheap. I feel so much better going out the door after a day like that.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome! We have a lot of customers that ask for wall wount accessories, even though the majority of our stuff goes in cabinets. It's cool to see a wall mount scenario in action.

Is that phone box pure POTS or SIP? Also, why install a Router and a Switch? Who made the switch....it has the blue Cisco color, but doesn't seem to be a Cicso box?

Nice work!! :clap:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Don't worry Lefty - Ceiling cat was peeking out through the cable hole. Cieling cat approves all of my jobs and "The BOYZ" (Bear & Liam) approve the cooking.

Keltin - The phone system is an AVAYA partner. It is capable of handling a T1 (Very few folks do that), it is not SIP capable. Partner has been around a long time and is kind of a backbone of small business. Mostly POTS service. Their calling card is ultra high reliability and reasonable cost.

I do sell / install the AVAYA IP office, which can handle IP phones. I have one system that has the switch and 2 extensions in NYC, one extension (VIA DSL and VPN software in the phone) in Iowa and one extension in New Delhi India.

A lof ot small business uses wall mount. I also do racks if requested. I have done the build out of 12 data centers for Google / DoubleClick. I got close to you a couple times (Ashburn VA) I "may" get back to Ashburn over the winter.

The router is a Firebox X-Edge series. Dual WAN capable, wireless access two ways - guest access that cannot get to the protected net, and with different credentials access to the protected net. Dual LAN with different IP scheme and DHCP servers. Really nice box. There is only 1 port to the protected LAN, which is why the switch is used. The switch is a 24 port Netgear Pro series.

Sorry to get techine on everyone. I do enjoy this kind of stuff.

Thank you both for the compliments.

chowhound

Interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing as fire rated plywood. I don't think that's code around here, or at least didn't used to be.

This was my day yesterday.... putting up split rail fence for my new parking area. It was supposed to be a cooler day, but what I should have paid attention to was the heat index :bonk:

Attachments

• new parking area1.jpg
    new parking area1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 113
  • new parking area2.jpg
    new parking area2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 116

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That looks gorgeous chow - I assume that is for the Kennel. Is tht far from your house?

I am not sure what they do to it to make it so, but fire rated plywood is code in NYC if exposed.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
That really looks neat! You do good work.

Last phone system I installed was almost 30 years ago. ITT system with 25 pair to each phone. Acres and acres of 66 blocks and several pounds of bridging clips!

I "may" get back to Ashburn over the winter.

If you make the trip back here let me know. I'm 20 miles west of Ashburn. Several good restaurants in the area or at least I can buy you a cup of coffee.

Jim

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It’s much better to have Ceiling Cat on your side.......it’s such a pain when Basement Kitty gets involved with all that wiring! :lol:

Adillo - believe it or not, there’s still demand for T1. So many TELCO companies are simply refusing to totally abandon all that copper in the field. While they do want to upgrade to newer technologies, they ask for legacy support as well. We’ve got many products that offer new services along with legacy support of T1. I’m currently working on GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network) that delivers triple play service via fiber to the home. The ONT (home termination unit for the fiber) we designed does pseudowire for T1 transport. We have several customers that won’t abandon their copper and T1 setups, but want to move forward with fiber.

Not to mention many of the Cell Towers in the field are using T1 antennas. So they need to backhaul that data over Ethernet (via pseudowire) to the main networks.

Ahhhhh.....I love geeky threads. I think I’ll hang out in here for a while with a fresh cup of coffee! :lol:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Tough commute, huh Fred?

Keltin - There folks in NYC sill making a good buck reselling T1's.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Nice work, Andy. Back in the 80's I installed several of the small 25-50 station phone systems in assembly plants for my employer. Cable management is everything when it come to any hard wired system, and if it's neat, it's easy to work on. I used to bundle with velcro or reusable cable ties so I could make additions without having cut tie wraps all over the floor after each alteration.

When I install residential service panels I also pay attention to wire management for the next guy that might have to work on the panel. Plus, the inspectors are always pleased when they see neat work, because they know that you care about quality.

Nice fence, Fred. I like split rail fencing a lot better than the PVC fencing a lot of people use today, and it's easier & cheaper to repair if someone hits it in the lot. I guess I'm just old school.:mrgreen:

Hey, what ever happened to your street light repair/replacement?

chowhound

Nice fence, Fred. I like split rail fencing a lot better than the PVC fencing a lot of people use today, and it's easier & cheaper to repair if someone hits it in the lot. I guess I'm just old school.:mrgreen:

Hey, what ever happened to your street light repair/replacement?

Thanks. I wish I had more of it. I might order some and let it weather for future projects. The three rail is tougher to come by.

Uhh, the light fiasco....

Well, I finally found a bulb for it, but it needed an adapter. No biggie, the hardware store had both, but there was some back and forth because I did not take the old one in with me.
How I removed it was pretty clever on my part (I thought). I made my own light bulb changer using a couple sticks of EMT and the last 6 ft that plastic gray conduit. In case I hit the wire. I used closed cell foam tape and a funnel for the grabber. The problem lie with threading the new bulb back in...
I thought I was good to go, but no light that evening. So I carefully backed it out and retightened it, as lining it up was the tricky part with that wet noodle contraption I was using. Still no light, so I completely unscrewed it and..... if you haven't guessed by now..... the bulb came out and the adapter stayed in. I'm thinking the adapter cross threaded, but of course there's no way to check it.

I'm seeing two electricians this Saturday and I'm going to inquire about friends with bucket trucks or similar. To be honest, I don't even know if there's power up there, but I didn't see Penelec disconnect anything. My best bet might just be having a new fixture put up and leaving me the wire I can get into the house.