Salmon Fillets in Black Pepper Crust

FryBoy

This may sound a little unusual, but everyone I've ever served it to has raved about it. The pepper is actually fairly mild once it's cooked like this.

SALMON FILLETS IN BLACK PEPPER CRUST

2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Large Garlic Clove (Mashed to a Paste)
2 Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Salmon Fillets, Skinned (6 ounces each)
4 Teaspoons Coarsely Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1. In a sealable plastic bag combine soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice, and sugar; mix well.

2. Add salmon, shake to coat well, squeeze all the air out of bag and seal it; let salmon marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning bag over once or twice.

3. Remove salmon from the bag and pat it dry; discard marinade.

4. Press 2 teaspoons of the black pepper onto each piece of salmon, coating it thoroughly on all four sides.

5. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet (cast iron is preferable) over moderately high heat until it is hot but not smoking.

6. Saute the salmon for 2 minutes on each side (8 minutes total for each piece), or until it just flakes; it should be quite pink in the middle of the thickest part; don't overcook it as it will continue cooking a bit after you remove it from the pan.

7. Transfer the salmon with to paper towels and let it drain for 30 seconds.

8. Serve with lemon or lime wedges.

Serves 2.

Last edited:

FryBoy

Recently made this and now have photos to go with the recipe, which is attached in a printable format:

Attachments

• Salmon in Pepper Crust #1.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust #2.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust #3.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust #4.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust #5.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #5.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust #6.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust #7.jpg
    Salmon in Pepper Crust #7.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Salmon in Pepper Crust.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 294

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This I must make. Just looking at the ingredients, it actually looks pretty easy (I like that). Thanks.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This looks so elegant and delicious, Doug! I love pepper-crusted meat. You're right, it doesn't taste as peppery as you would think. Maybe the cooking makes it milder and brings out the more subtle flavors of the pepper.

buckytom

Grill Master
VERY nice fry. this one's a keeper. dw loves salmon, so i think i'll make this for her next week. thanks! :a1:

oh, and you cooked it perfectly. just a little raw/rare-ish in the center. yum.

chowhound

That looks delicious, Doug.
I always wanted to try my hand at salmon using AB's one grill method, which is cooking it on top of a chimney charcoal starter. What he compared to cooking with a jet engine. I'm going to give this a whirl using your ingredients and marinade, but yours looks so perfect, maybe I won't change a thing.

FryBoy

VERY nice fry. this one's a keeper. dw loves salmon, so i think i'll make this for her next week. thanks! :a1:

oh, and you cooked it perfectly. just a little raw/rare-ish in the center. yum.
Right. Overcooking is the main reason people don't like fish. Salmon is darker in the center when it's ready to eat -- if it's evenly colored throughout, the chances are it's overdone.

FryBoy

That looks delicious, Doug.
I always wanted to try my hand at salmon using AB's one grill method, which is cooking it on top of a chimney charcoal starter. What he compared to cooking with a jet engine. I'm going to give this a whirl using your ingredients and marinade, but yours looks so perfect, maybe I won't change a thing.
You do have to fry this, I believe. I think that if you were to put it on the grill, most of the pepper would fall off.