Grilled portbello mushrooms v. grilling reg. mushrooms (from the box)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Large portobello are like a steak if grilled right. I will mix the baby portobellos (Crimini)with button muchrooms for steak topping and cook on top of the stove.

chowhound

Is it worth it? Are they THAT much better?

Thanks.

If you're grilling them, like your subject line says, yes. Just for the sheer size of them. Unless of course your planning on a shes-kabob. In all honesty though, and I've just started using portobellos and baby-bellos (crimini) myself, it's more of a texture thing for me. I don't notice any more "mushroom taste" in them over your basic whites. I think they are a nice novelty for someone with simple tastes like me. A nice changeup that you can do more with, like top like a pizza.
I've gone to buying bulk though. I bought a bad package of crimini before. You just can't see they are slimy because they are already brown.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The crimini and portobello are the same mushroom with the only difference being the crimini is the about the same size as a button (regular) mushroom. You could easily skewer them the same as a button mushroom but the portobello is about the size of a steak so those would be hard to do it with. It really depends on what you actually want to do with them.